Rambling Videos - any good?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
OK, so here's the background. I was riding my Vulcan 800 because my Harley was in the shop and I really wanted to test out my new Hero 9 in a vlogging situation, so I roughed it (it was 40F outside, and no fairing or windshield - got COLD!), and halfway through the ride (after I'd filmed my "second impressions" video of the Hero 9, my SENA headset's battery died (it has a built-in FM tuner).

I just kept rambling to the camera (it kept my lips moving and thus not frozen - I wear a half helmet), and thought it would make a funny second video... Well, I'm in the editor now, and it IS pretty funny, and a bit random, and I'm enjoying the heck out of editing this nonsense.

All that leads to this: Do you get any good views on videos like that, where you just rambled away at the camera? I started with just under 30 mins of footage, and will probably cut it down to about 10-15 minutes for final length, but most of it is me being silly. It's quite entertaining to me, but it got me pondering whether or not to post it to YT when it's done.

It's not wasted effort if I don't publish it, because I've been playing around with noise reduction in DaVinci Resolve 16 and got the audio pretty nice - very little wind noise and my voice is really clear, even without wind protection (like I have on my Harley), and it took about 3 clicks to accomplish :D

-John

Reactions: HRMV

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have not really done many videos without a topic in mind. Even so, I scrap about as much (or more) video, as I post.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I have not really done many videos without a topic in mind. Even so, I scrap about as much (or more) video, as I post.

Me either - sometimes I'll even get 2 or 3 videos out of one ride because I rode long enough to go through the thoughts for each topic that were in my head.

This time was different, it was kinda like potpourri.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I've seen some motovloggers make rambling topic-less motovlogs work. I think it's important to be very entertaining and appealing in such videos to captivate the viewers attention though.

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Well sir, I hope you watch it whenever it comes out, because I want your 100% honest feedback on it. *I* happen to think it's pretty entertaining, but who am I?

Also, I watched your spotlight road video this morning and I liked it - the 2 camera angles really keep the viewer engaged, and having some non-road-related topics to discuss (like winter travels) kept me watching it :D

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
90% of my vids I just wing with no topic in mind when I set out. I went out yesterday with a topic in mind, it'll probs get more views than my rambling vlogs, but I think it is good to have a mixture. You need topics folk will search for to get new subscribers, but you need to entertain the already subscribed, and they may not be interested in a review of a certain bike accessory or whatever, so a rambling vlog, where they get to know you is possibly going to be more interesting for them.

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
90% of my vids I just wing with no topic in mind when I set out. I went out yesterday with a topic in mind, it'll probs get more views than my rambling vlogs, but I think it is good to have a mixture. You need topics folk will search for to get new subscribers, but you need to entertain the already subscribed, and they may not be interested in a review of a certain bike accessory or whatever, so a rambling vlog, where they get to know you is possibly going to be more interesting for them.

Thank you! I look forward to your feedback in a couple of weeks when this one gets posted.

I just started rendering it, and it'll get uploaded & scheduled later today for Christmas week or sometime after that, not sure yet.

I had some trouble in Resolve though... the Noise Reduction audio effect is wonky. I set it to "De-hiss & De-hum" and then toggle the "Learn" mode to ON... and it seemingly forgets. Some of the footage is pretty clear (the audio effect removes a TON of wind noise), and then later in the video it's windy again... go figure.

Luckily, the wind noise isn't *terrible* throughout, but it does sound a LOT better when the audio effect works properly. It may be time to install Resolve 17 Beta 5 and see if that fixes it.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Def worth sorting, as it is often a number one put off for viewers to have to struggle through bad audio, could be stunning views in 4k, but if the audio is bad, folk will likely switch off there and then, or just not subscribe :)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
You'll see, er hear, next week ;) Video is scheduled to go live on Christmas!

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Rambling videos are good for folks that already know you, your channel and have hopefully subscribed already.
Unless your rambling about an attractive subject for YouTube or Google searching it may not get huge hits.

That being said some of the big names in the game day to put up any footage and don't over think it. TMF is a huge ambassador of this thought.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Rambling videos are good for folks that already know you, your channel and have hopefully subscribed already.
Unless your rambling about an attractive subject for YouTube or Google searching it may not get huge hits.

That being said some of the big names in the game day to put up any footage and don't over think it. TMF is a huge ambassador of this thought.

The first name that came to mind when I read your last sentence was Walterrific. That guy puts up ANYTHING and gets THOUSANDS of views... I guess it doesn't hurt that he has 2M+ subs.

Well, it's been uploaded, tagged, described, and thumbnailed... so when it goes live, we'll see how it does. I look at it as an experiment, and that makes me happy, so I'm doing it :)

Wow, that sounded like a dig at you guys who responded to my thread... it's not. It's just my perspective on it, because if I did it for the views/subs only, then this whole thing would've lost its appeal a couple of months ago when I didn't get instant stardom.

In that vein, I hope *you all* enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it, because at this point, y'all know me and have subbed to my channel, so hopefully you're entertained! (insert "are you not entertained" meme here)

-John

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
The first name that came to mind when I read your last sentence was Walterrific. That guy puts up ANYTHING and gets THOUSANDS of views... I guess it doesn't hurt that he has 2M+ subs.

Well, it's been uploaded, tagged, described, and thumbnailed... so when it goes live, we'll see how it does. I look at it as an experiment, and that makes me happy, so I'm doing it :)

Wow, that sounded like a dig at you guys who responded to my thread... it's not. It's just my perspective on it, because if I did it for the views/subs only, then this whole thing would've lost its appeal a couple of months ago when I didn't get instant stardom.

In that vein, I hope *you all* enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it, because at this point, y'all know me and have subbed to my channel, so hopefully you're entertained! (insert "are you not entertained" meme here)

-John
Don't worry dude, didn't take it as a dig. Am sure it will do fine.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
yeah and if he needs content he'll just read excerpts of MCN to his viewers. Weird.
I must admit I do put them on when cooking dinner or that. Saves spending money on the paper and some interesting stuff he highlights.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I get that.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts