Rain Gear

Submoto

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2015
International
I ride a
Suzuki GS550 Cafe Racer
Do you wear a rain suit/pants/jacket when it pours, or is your normal gear water tight (e.g. Gore-tex textiles)?

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Waterproof overalls pack up so small you can just bung a set under your seat and forget about it until it rains.

Saves wearing "waterproof" gear which is rarely comfortable and never waterproof. water resistant is a much more accurate term while the overalls are completely water tight in my experience, but will cook you if there's any sun!

My gloves are not waterproof at all though except for my winter pair.

Reactions: Submoto

Submoto

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2015
International
I ride a
Suzuki GS550 Cafe Racer
Waterproof overalls pack up so small you can just bung a set under your seat and forget about it until it rains.

Saves wearing "waterproof" gear which is rarely comfortable and never waterproof. water resistant is a much more accurate term while the overalls are completely water tight in my experience, but will cook you if there's any sun!

My gloves are not waterproof at all though except for my winter pair.
I started with a 'waterproof' textile jacket, and just had an extra pair of rain pants in my bag. Worked alright, until the jacket decided to no longer be watertight :-( now I carry around a rain suit, and it's a bit of a hassle to put it on, and sucks to wear, so that's why I was wondering what people do. Especially on long trips

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Use Nikwax to reproof stuff, no textile will stay waterproof unless treated once in a while.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Recommend by my bike shop, although I've not go round to trying it. Tecwash is the cleaner and something else to proof that I haven't got yet.

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
I use Nikwax Leather waterproofing stuff on my leathers. It gives me a pretty solid level of water resistance that sees me right if there's a shower or it's only a short trip.

Other than that, after the debacle of my waterproof free Summer tour to Spain and back (Summer did NOT mean sun!) I keep a waterproof all in one on my bike on all longer trips!!

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I hate driving now. Rather take the bike in general, if it's bad weather I might consider the car if I was travelling about an hour.

Only thing that makes me think twice about the bike is high wind as it's an absolute bitch in the wind.

THvlogs

Wannabie Member
Jan 10, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it by accident ( which I only have my textile jacket usually no actual rain gear ) . I work with a guy that says that the Frogg Togg rain suits are awesome in the rain on a bike. Thinking about adding one to my pack since the entire suit packs up really small.

monckee

Wannabie Member
Mar 18, 2015
San Diego, CA
I ride a
dl1000
I had water resistant liners in my jacket and pants, worked quite well until recently. I had a few holes wear through in my elbow and by the time i finished riding through the deluge my entire upper body was soaked.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
And you never find out until it's too late.

I bought some Aqua Ride boots once. Turned out to be the opposite of what I expected! Got back one night in a heavy downpour and lakes for puddles and literally poured the water out of them. I now have Hein Gericke Goretex boots.

GHOSTNINJA

Lets do this!
Jul 10, 2014
San Diego
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Daytona 675
It does not rain enough here in San Diego but when it does I always kick my self for being cheap. By the time I say I am going to get stuff its all sold out around me or it stops raining.

RealRider

No longer a member
Nov 5, 2014
Brisbane
I find anything that says water resistant is ok for a splash from the garden hose and anything else will see you soaked.

I have textile inserts but I opt for the rain suit now or just yolo it.

Submoto

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2015
International
I ride a
Suzuki GS550 Cafe Racer
I had water resistant liners in my jacket and pants, worked quite well until recently. I had a few holes wear through in my elbow and by the time i finished riding through the deluge my entire upper body was soaked.
I had the same exact problem with mine

Submoto

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2015
International
I ride a
Suzuki GS550 Cafe Racer
And you never find out until it's too late.

I bought some Aqua Ride boots once. Turned out to be the opposite of what I expected! Got back one night in a heavy downpour and lakes for puddles and literally poured the water out of them. I now have Hein Gericke Goretex boots.
Hein Gericke seems to make some pretty solid gear. Mrs Submoto uses that brand

Submoto

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2015
International
I ride a
Suzuki GS550 Cafe Racer
It does not rain enough here in San Diego but when it does I always kick my self for being cheap. By the time I say I am going to get stuff its all sold out around me or it stops raining.
I wish I lived in San Diego :-/ rains ALL the friggin' time here

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Well Hein Gericke went under in the UK, I think the parent company in Germany were in trouble. I heard that they had a store in Belfast still and that there may be plans to reintroduce it to the UK (again), but not heard anything for a long time about it.

Trouble with the HG store is that it was a bit clinical. The store that is next door (Get Geared) always felt warmer and had a better atmosphere. Price wise HG wasn't much different from other premium brands, kind of sat in the middle really, so it was just down to presentation and marketing I suppose.

chaosnaut

one who travels through utter confusion
Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
Yesterday I drove home in a complete deluge.

I keep a poncho in my backpack and use it to cover my torso. It keeps my chest and head dry, and protects my electronics in my backpack.

It does NOTHING for my legs. My waterproof shoes filled up, becoming sloshy pools around my feet.

My jeans turned into a sponge, and the cold air froze my balls off.

I would love a pair of rain pants.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts