Poor weather and recording

Tomr2992

Relaunched the Channel -JustTomTorque
Jun 1, 2019
Derby
I ride a
BMW S1000R
Hi all, well despite my best intentions this weather is causing havoc with me getting my next video done.
Due to working alot it appears that every time I want to get something done, it's pee'ing it down!

I've tried to do a recording when it's spitting but it just looks dull and flat so I've knocked it on the head.

Given these short days, crap weather and persistent rain, what do you guys do?

Cheers

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I still try and make on bike content. This time of year though I mainly (or would normally if it wasn't for covid) ride green lanes, which still have lots of colour from the fallen leaves which stop it looking so dreary. Also having a second camera helps, as you can point it back at yourself and if you wear brighter colours or your bike is a brighter colour it can brighten up the footage a little.
Only real alternatives are to record lots of vlogs in the summer that are generic so the timeline isn't squiffy, do garage vlogs of maintenance, or hang up the cameras except for those lovely wintery blue sky days.

Reactions: HRMV and R-Rated

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Interesting question. I only record if it's dry out. Lately though, my footage has been a bit off color-wise because of overcast days and the sun being harsh and at odd angles because of the season.

I'm just gonna keep grinding, and probably do more "talking head" videos over the winter, with summer footage as the background (like I did recently for my Bagger Showdown video).

-John

Reactions: Tomr2992

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
The Scottish winter can be challenging and I try to find a dry day - mainly because I hate getting home to find most of my footage has wet on the lense . If I do plan to ride in the rain and record I ditch the in camera sound and put the side door back on the gopro for maximum weather protection and capture my sound on my helmet mic into a zoom recorder in my jacket . I ride through the winter and the bright cold winter days are great - its the switch over from Autumn to winter when its proper wet when my riding vids get a bit thin on the ground

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I've recorded a few motovlogs in the rain but I deleted them all so far as I wasn't happy with how they turned out.

Someday I'll film a rainy motovlog on purpose, it will be a "feature"!

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Try riding and producing content in Scotland where the summer of yester year was a week at best. It is improving now.

Music choices can help to detract from the grey visuals but also changing camera angles to try and pick up different lighting.

Tomr2992

Jun 1, 2019
Derby
I ride a
BMW S1000R
Try riding and producing content in Scotland where the summer of yester year was a week at best. It is improving now.

Music choices can help to detract from the grey visuals but also changing camera angles to try and pick up different lighting.
Good points! Although I'd set aside this Sunday gone... I'm sure it's never stopped raining! Typical.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Good points! Although I'd set aside this Sunday gone... I'm sure it's never stopped raining! Typical.
The leaves have been washed away but unfortunately have been replaced by many big bits of standing water.

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
I seem to disagree with most here. Overcast skies or rain can actually make some of the most dynamic looking footage. With the right settings and the natural light diffusion from the clouds you can get some great shots. The bigger issue with bad weather is most people don’t have waterproof motovlogging setups.

Tomr2992

Jun 1, 2019
Derby
I ride a
BMW S1000R
I seem to disagree with most here. Overcast skies or rain can actually make some of the most dynamic looking footage. With the right settings and the natural light diffusion from the clouds you can get some great shots. The bigger issue with bad weather is most people don’t have waterproof motovlogging setups.
The theme I do would be terrible for it. I'm currently working on finding a under cover working area to do my video. Due to them being different than the norm I only need the camera to be dry.. I can get drenched! Lol

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts