One Bike, Or Two?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
So I bought the Deauville NT650V in 2012 as my first bike. The requisite was weather protection and luggage capacity and be comfortable on longer motorway journeys. This was because of the work I was doing at the time.

However my type of work has changed a bit and I don't use a bike as often for getting about for work as much, so other than using the top box to stash my helmet, I'm not really using the luggage often, but it is handy.

The Deauville really is a good bike, torquey V-twin, comfort, you can also have a laugh on it and goes fast enough to get you in to trouble, but where is falls down is that real squirt of power for overtakes. You've really got to consider when you can make one, so while you should anyway, I have to be extra conscious of the number of cars, how far away that bend is etc etc and certainly can't do the overtakes some people do - and there's some I wouldn't do either!

So - I don't want to loose the luggage capacity, and I do sometimes need to load up, but I'd like to be able to have that little more oomph behind me and take a bike to a track to have a little more fun that wouldn't be legal on the road.

Do I get a bigger capacity bike that has the power and the luggage, or do I keep the Deau and buy a second bike to be a hoon?

What do the community think? And give examples of what you'd have for the one bike or if you had the two bikes (one being a Deauville), but based on my needs.

For example

1 bike - BMW R1200RT
2 bikes - Deauville & Kawasaki Z750

Go!!

BluePixel

Wannabie Member
Nov 28, 2015
UK
I ride a
ZX9R
I used to own a CB500 and SV650. The only thing that made me jump on the CB was the weather. As much as I loved the CB, I always jumped on the SV for proper rides. I can't see myself owning two bikes again as one would never get used.

However if I had to choose then it would be a KTM 699 SM and Z1000 (2010 shape)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Sit on a motorway for hours regularly enough and you'll want some comfort then :)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Don't forget to suggest/recommend bikes for me as well as stating your personal choices! I could do with some advice on which way to go!

BluePixel

Wannabie Member
Nov 28, 2015
UK
I ride a
ZX9R
I would recommend some bikes if I knew anything about the ones you're looking at. The only bike I would suggest is the BMW R1200GS like they used on Long Way Down / Long Way Round. At least that's what I think they used.

Raven

Adventurer
Jan 4, 2016
Louisville, KY, USA
raven.deckyon.com
I ride a
2014 Honda NC700XD
I would recommend some bikes if I knew anything about the ones you're looking at. The only bike I would suggest is the BMW R1200GS like they used on Long Way Down / Long Way Round. At least that's what I think they used.

It is, from 2004. They got updated ones for Long Way Down.

However I would recommend new Honda Africa Twin over the GS for simple reason of ease of maintenance and cost of ownership. Simple metric tools that are not over the top expensive. But, that is only really if you (Lurch) are looking to do dual sport stuff on a larger bike. Need more information on what you (Lurch)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I do a mix of riding.

Long motorway (freeway) journeys of 200 miles.

I do shorter (10-50 mile) trips with luggage

I do short trips to shops.

I do moderate social rides where we do about 100 miles in a day, and spend nearly as much time in cafes as we do riding

I do longer social rides too, last one was Calm's Coast, Coffee and Chips

I am an advanced riding student so often do a half day riding to the legal and safe limit of all kinds of roads.

I also go out by myself and just get the hell out and find some hills and valleys to enjoy.

It's diverse.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Had to google the multistrada :)

I've never considered an adventure bike before as when I bought the Deau, the fairings gave weather protection, whereas adventure bikes don't have it.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
GSXR 1000 Of fireblade

More fun with Gix but fireblade are more comfy

If you're gonna do tracks then 600, rag it's nuts off and then upgrade

A decent CBR 600 f can be ridden for miles, tracked and it's a lot of bike for the money. They not slow bikes either

But Defo GSXR 1000 if your main luggage is a wallet

Reactions: Lurch

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
And for 10 days clothes, tool bag and PPE kit?! :)

Mr Miles

Wannabie Member
Dec 28, 2015
Salisbury, UK
I ride a
DrZ400SM Boom
From what I read I reckon you would be much better off with the 2 bikes.

Personally for me for the time being I would currently stick with my DRZ400 as I enjoy the shorter under 100 mile rides which is tbh comfortable enough. It doesn't go over 100mph, but the acceleration and power is more than enough to mess about on. Plus gives me that ability to go offroad (green laning) if I wish which is.. awesome btw. Would make a fun track bike tbh, Might have to give that a go at some point. Don't mind so much dropping it as it can take a beating, and easily self serviceable :) All in all a lot of fun.

Also I'm looking at getting a BMW R1200gs which is what I'm after next. Much more comfortable for the longer journeys, for where I want to go anyway.. which is exploring more than just tarmac roads. in and out of the UK.

-----------------

So you looking at the BMW R1200RT would be a good option, very reliable, comfortable, got enough power to get you past traffic.

With regards to a more hooning around bike, one you can take on track and just have smaller distance funsies well there's more than enough bikes out there for that. Just depends on how much hooning around you want to be doing, had any previous fancies on any sports bikes? ;)

This is where I would suggest a supermoto :p but it seems to be a bike for the sub 35ish group, generally speaking.

From R6's, Ninjars, GSXRs, CBRs, ZX-6R.

Tbh maybe see about the BMW and go from there, might be enough fun to begin with.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Been on a ZZR1400 around the block that's my sum sportsbike-esque experience.

BMW does seem a good one as it doesn't look horrific without panniers. Other thought for a 1 bike was a Sprint ST.

A two bike would be the Deauville as one (tried and tested) plus something else, preferably cheap I think.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Your current 650 should still be able to fit your needs, so if I were in your shoes, I'd most probably keep it, since I see no complaints about it.

However if you are citing it being old and you would like to get something more up to date, maybe a look at the Yamaha MT-09 Tracer ; Triumph Tiger 800 ; KTM Adventure 1050/990.

If you want to keep your current 650 but want to get another bike, I'm not sure which because you did not mention anything different you would like to be doing (which the 650 would not be suited to).

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
The Deau has been pretty rock solid. Had to sort fuel pump points and regulator, but not uncommon for any 1990s Honda.

Whether it be one bike or two, something with a bit more life for the weekend would go down well. Any bike will be second hand though, not sure I can stretch to a new one!

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
Triumph Tiger 1050? MT-09 Tracer? Not full on adventure bikes, but fun, capable weekend, touring and commuting bikes.

Personally I need a 3 bike garage (at least). A dirtbike, a dual-sport/commuter, and a tourer/commuter

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Quite like the tigers, but not what I bought in the end, however there's a guessing game going on in a thread called Lurch went Shopping

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts