Oil change interval

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
Hey guys,

So I have read several topics regarding oil change intervals and things are still not clear for me.

For example my motorcycle's manufacturer states an oil change interval of 90days or 4000kms whichever is early.

Now I can understand why they say 4000kms. But I still dont understand why they say 90days? If for instance I have ridden my bike for 1500kms only since the last oil change and I have reached the 90days mark, why should I get the oil changed?

Please enlighten me!

Thank you

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Hey guys,

So I have read several topics regarding oil change intervals and things are still not clear for me.

For example my motorcycle's manufacturer states an oil change interval of 90days or 4000kms whichever is early.

Now I can understand why they say 4000kms. But I still dont understand why they say 90days? If for instance I have ridden my bike for 1500kms only since the last oil change and I have reached the 90days mark, why should I get the oil changed?

Please enlighten me!

Thank you

Engines have to breath in some manner or else the heating of the air/fluid would cause pressure building up. Because of the vapor being able to get out means air acne get in. This can lead to condensation over time.

The moisture then gets mixed with the oil. Years ago I was at a motorcycle industry trade show and this was a topic due to synthetic oils coming out. The presenters explained that a quart of oil can safely absorb 4 drops of water. After that' the water just is there not mixing and the water then becomes acidic and eats the metals.

So they also pointed out when you run an engine up to operating temperature for 15 to 30 minutes, the water gets boiled off. But again, when the engine is shut down and cools then condensation is a problem.

Sorry so lengthy but it is a complicated process that we really cannot see.

Reactions: M0C70R

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
Sorry so lengthy but it is a complicated process that we really cannot see.

Thanks for the reply! So basically even if the Oil has not undergone usage theres still water condensation that becomes acidic and starts eroding the metals from inside. Does the water become acidic because of combustion byproduct and/or deterioration of oil?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Thanks for the reply! So basically even if the Oil has not undergone usage theres still water condensation that becomes acidic and starts eroding the metals from inside. Does the water become acidic because of combustion byproduct and/or deterioration of oil?

That I am not sure of. I suspect it is a chemical process.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Now here is a topic I could go on about for ages.

Here are a few things.

1. Manafurters oil intervals are rarely based on oi life. They are normally very conservative.
2. Oil makers will never state how long their oils will last in your engine.

So what does that mean for your oil change, well the reason they put a time of K'm on there is not just to check the oil but to check other things as well.

I come from a part of the automotive industry where oil consumption and life is regularly tested, and oil change intervals adjusted. When your putting 40-60 liters in something and its $12 a liter you want to make sure you get the correct life from it. That means having the oil sampled and finding out its condition, before, during and after its time in the engine.
This is something your bike maker did when making the engine, then changed the intervall to either half or a quarter of the time.

The problem is hardly anyone gets a sample of their oil, gets it tested and finds out what is going on.
That means that most people's opinion is based on they put xxx oil in the engine and it didn't blow up.

So what you need to do is have a look at the service book and find out what else needs to be done at the service. It could be as simple as maintaining the chain after 90 days.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
In newer commercial vehicles there are sensors, that test oil quality. Or at least some parameters. And often the vehicle informs user, before the time and km interval is reached, that engine oil needs to be changed. It seems to occur most with vehicles that are used for short city rides.
So basically yes, the oil quality drops, be it condensation or other reasons.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts