Off Season antics

TMackie

Up Shift Freak
Jun 12, 2020
Alberta , Canada
I ride a
Victory Vision 8 Ball , Indian Chieftain
So what do the folks like myself do during the off season to keep their channel fresh ? I have considered taking this years content and making a " best of the year" video or something similar. Every evening I watch YouTube videos for ideas as well.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
When you say off-season do you mean where you are you can't ride? Snow or something.

Why not go through 'things to do when the motorcycle is in the garage' series.

Could do one on prepping bike for winter storage,
another on motorcycle movies,
another on motorcycle forums you recommend or are a a member of,
another on things you are doing to yours over the break (perhaps you are fixing something or fitting a modification etc),
motorcycle books you've read / would recommend.

Get onboard amazon affiliate program so when you do videos on Motorcycle movies, books etc, you can have some affiliate links where you viewers can get them from.
(This is something I must do myself.)

You can work into such videos cross-promotion of any other media presence you have be it insta, faceache, etc.

Are you on any motorcycle forums?
See what current topics of discussion around the off-season area and take ideas from that.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I see a lot of moto vloggers will re-use some of the summertime video and do voiceovers or picture-in-picture stuff to talk about m/c related topics.

(I did just this when I recorded the trailer for my channel yesterday)

I plan to post some summer rides that didn't go up uh, during the summer, and to do more off-bike vlogs, walkarounds, stuff like that.

I figure by the time my late-to-post content has made it to YT, it'll be February, and I'll ride & record whenever I can in the mean time. Could probably get some good views of "cold" rides.

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Buy a smal 50cc dirtbike and have at it, in snow
edit: This is not what I am planning on doing, just a suggestion for you. I always leave the uncomfortable things that need good health, to others :p

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I can mostly record all year, but in normal years, I'll try and bank some vids that are not time specific so I can use them if I am unable to make a new video. But some very awesome suggestions above! :)

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
I'm so far behind in editing video, I'll be using the winter months to catch up an do stuff with past footage! Been so busy with work, I've been struggling to do much editing. Even got footage from trips in 2019 I've not done anything with yet! I have certainly done best-of / year-end round up videos in the past. Quite good as a nice montage of highlights with a voice over and some musings on plans for the coming year.

Otherwise, the winter months are a good time to catch up on house keeping stuff, tidying up old footage/files/backups. maintenance on bike, hunt down discount new kit in the sales, plan future adventures, file tax returns etc.

Of course, it could also be a good time to have a break and spend time with family - controversial! ;-)

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I intent on riding throughout the winter but also intend on using the time when the weather ain't as favourable to put out previously recorded footage.

I don't do the garage type vids as most of the time I am still learning myself so who am I to preach.

Also the lighting in my garage doesn't work well with the gopro... Something to do with LED bulbs.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I intent on riding throughout the winter but also intend on using the time when the weather ain't as favourable to put out previously recorded footage.

I don't do the garage type vids as most of the time I am still learning myself so who am I to preach.

Also the lighting in my garage doesn't work well with the gopro... Something to do with LED bulbs.

There's a video I found on YouTube yesterday about GoPro settings:

It's a little long but the guy goes into good detail about what settings to change and why.

As for "learning on film" - that stuff can be hilarious, so I try to record some of it. A mix of on and off-bike content to increase reach and engage existing subs, at least that's my opinion on why I do both.

-John

Reactions: TMackie and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
There's a video I found on YouTube yesterday about GoPro settings:

It's a little long but the guy goes into good detail about what settings to change and why.

As for "learning on film" - that stuff can be hilarious, so I try to record some of it. A mix of on and off-bike content to increase reach and engage existing subs, at least that's my opinion on why I do both.

-John
Will have a look at that later. Its something I've meant to look into. Thanks for the link.

I've done ones before which have been OK, so you never know I might do more. Definitely have one to do and that's the Thunderbox one.

BTW I don't count my Ultimateaddons ones as garage as were done outside... Splitting hairs I suppose.

TMackie

Up Shift Freak
Jun 12, 2020
Alberta , Canada
I ride a
Victory Vision 8 Ball , Indian Chieftain
When you say off-season do you mean where you are you can't ride? Snow or something.

Why not go through 'things to do when the motorcycle is in the garage' series.

Could do one on prepping bike for winter storage,
another on motorcycle movies,
another on motorcycle forums you recommend or are a a member of,
another on things you are doing to yours over the break (perhaps you are fixing something or fitting a modification etc),
motorcycle books you've read / would recommend.

Get onboard amazon affiliate program so when you do videos on Motorcycle movies, books etc, you can have some affiliate links where you viewers can get them from.
(This is something I must do myself.)

You can work into such videos cross-promotion of any other media presence you have be it insta, faceache, etc.

Are you on any motorcycle forums?
See what current topics of discussion around the off-season area and take ideas from that.
Yeah, snow has us hemmed in.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I have about two dozen motovlogs filmed and ready for editing, and according to my spreadsheet if I put out one per week I'll have content to use all the way until next April! I also plan to film some mod installation videos on my Goldwing next month so I'll probably have to do two videos per week for a month or two this winter just to get through my backlog so I can start filming new motovlogs next spring.

I did plan for this though, I actively filmed like crazy for the past few months while still only putting out one video per week in order to have content to use over the winter. I plan to do the same thing for next winter as it worked very well.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have about two dozen motovlogs filmed and ready for editing, and according to my spreadsheet if I put out one per week I'll have content to use all the way until next April! I also plan to film some mod installation videos on my Goldwing next month so I'll probably have to do two videos per week for a month or two this winter just to get through my backlog so I can start filming new motovlogs next spring.

I did plan for this though, I actively filmed like crazy for the past few months while still only putting out one video per week in order to have content to use over the winter. I plan to do the same thing for next winter as it worked very well.

Gosh I wish I had that backlog. I have this coming week's videos uploaded, tagged, thumbnailed, and scheduled - but past that there are a few short vids that are up on YT but not properly setup or scheduled yet, and I've got 9 videos in editing but only 1 close to finished. There's only so many hours in the day, and my kids are needy LOL.

I think if I have to go back in the office it's going to be difficult for me to keep up content production, since right now I can take a lunch break & go record, or record after work but before the kids get home from daycare. I literally dread going back to work in my office. There's not a scenic way to get there.

-John

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
I think if I have to go back in the office it's going to be difficult for me to keep up content production, since right now I can take a lunch break & go record, or record after work but before the kids get home from daycare. I literally dread going back to work in my office. There's not a scenic way to get there.

I have the opposite problem. I'm currently stuck working from home, which is in the middle of the East London suburbs and good half-hour ride to anywhere interesting. Yet my office is in central London, a bit of a busy ride, but my daily commute was over Tower Bridge and past great landmarks like the Tower of London. TBH work is crazy busy at the moment, rarely get much lunch break to even consider heading out to ride or record. By the evening, after being stuck at my home desk staring at a screen working all day, I just don't feel up to carrying on there editing footage.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I hear ya - I have a local buddy who is in the same boat - beautiful ride to work and back, but he's stuck at home, and like me, he has little kids that need his attention when they're around, making it difficult to ride & record.

My work is different - I can work any hours I want, so long as the job gets done. Been this way a long, long time, and I don't want to go back to the 9-5 routine.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts