Number plate blurring on video/photos

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Risk of cloning is higher when you are riding than when you are filming/uploading.
Especially with our smaller channels. If they want to clone a bike numberplate they ride a circle in a big city and note some done. Easier done than finding models on youtube, skipping through vids in hope that 1. it is the correct country, and 2. the numberplate is somewhere not only visible but also readable.

Cops here don't want to do the hassle, search work and paperwork either unless you are really dangerous.
But even when they stopped a ride out, and footage is online the next day they don't even take the trouble of skipping through that. To much hassle to prove it is.

Did a supermoto ride today, i think with ease 12 - 15 filmers. Nobody asked to blur out numberplates. Only one or 2 asked for no face in screen.
Number of wheelies was sky-high xD

Reactions: motosera

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Hey all, I always blur the plates in my videos if they belong to me or a family member. Generally I try to avoid filming my own plates, but it's fairly easy to do in Resolve. Recently, I was working on a video but I haven't uploaded it yet - it had so many clips with plates in them that it took 2.5 HOURS just to blur out stuff!)

After that video, I am wondering about (and couldn't find) magnetic license plate covers. I guess I could order sheet magnets and cut them to size and add vinyl to make them look better, but I was hoping there was a pre-made product out there I could order off Amazon or whatever. That way, I could slap them on my vehicles before filming and take them off afterwards, thus saving myself a (potential) boatload of editing time.

Thanks,

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
until the police catch you with your plate covered....

I meant for static shots. Like when I do a product review and I'm walking around my truck or bikes... not when riding. That would for sure get me yanked off the road LOL.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
You could unscrew the plates and remove them, for the photo shoots.

Yeah, for 5-10 plates, that's slower (usually) than me just blurring them in post.

Honestly, I was hoping someone had a magnetic vinyl-wrapped thing I could buy to just cover the plates :D
-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
As any of my more recent viewers would have noticed I have done away with blurring plates, and faces for that matter (to a degree)

You would have to be doing some pretty gnarly stuff for the police to take a youtube video as evidence in the uk.. and personally I cba to spend all the extra time editing when I barely have enough time to make videos let alone watch others!

I would say if you're in the uk then don't bother with blurring :)

Reactions: Meifesto

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Even with the recent Ride-Out, where police were present at location, they aren't going to search to all the footage on youtube. They write tickets there and then, and everything else is what it is.

Some channels do blur a license plate during a wheelie or burnout, just for the next shot in the edit to have the same bike and rider, without blurred numberplates. Either do it good, or don't do it all honestly xD

I didn't ;)

Reactions: Pooley

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I just do my best to avoid capturing my plates on film, but if I do and I notice it I blur it out. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I just do my best to avoid capturing my plates on film, but if I do and I notice it I blur it out. Better safe than sorry.

I'm 100% in agreement here. I had literally 1 frame show a plate the other day - I was so frustrated! Gotta watch those transitions :D

I commented on your most recent video - are you using Resolve for editing? The color tab's tracker is phenomenal at, um, tracking ... so it makes blurring plates a quick affair as long as you don't have too many clips with plates in them!

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Most of my number plates until recently were held on with velcro, so I could just rip them off if needed for phots or garage vids, but mostly now I CBA and just try not to show them where I can.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I commented on your most recent video - are you using Resolve for editing? The color tab's tracker is phenomenal at, um, tracking ... so it makes blurring plates a quick affair as long as you don't have too many clips with plates in them!

Yeah I'm using Resolve now but I had no idea it had a tracking function at all? I'll have to look into that, honestly I'm still learning how to use Resolve even while using it all the time, LOL!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yeah I'm using Resolve now but I had no idea it had a tracking function at all? I'll have to look into that, honestly I'm still learning how to use Resolve even while using it all the time, LOL!

If you have any questions on the basics, let me know. I used YouTube videos to figure most of it out.

And yeah, it's got like 3 different types of trackers, in 2 different places, and they all work differently and some are better than others for the types of shots I want to modify.

Also, don't be afraid of the Color and Fusion tabs... they are pure GOLD!

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
If you have any questions on the basics, let me know. I used YouTube videos to figure most of it out.

And yeah, it's got like 3 different types of trackers, in 2 different places, and they all work differently and some are better than others for the types of shots I want to modify.

Also, don't be afraid of the Color and Fusion tabs... they are pure GOLD!

-John

The tacker works really well sometimes, but I have noticed if there is a big contrast change mid-scene the tracker just stops. For example riding from sun into tree's, the tracker loses my license plate. It really is easy to use though, I did the same, a couple youtube tutorials , and it was pretty easy.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
The tacker works really well sometimes, but I have noticed if there is a big contrast change mid-scene the tracker just stops. For example riding from sun into tree's, the tracker loses my license plate. It really is easy to use though, I did the same, a couple youtube tutorials , and it was pretty easy.

Yeah but that can be fixed manually as you go without too much difficulty.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Unless you have 500 frames, and 150 of them require tweaking. Ask me how I know :)

THAT can take a while, adjusting 4 tracker points in each. and. every. freaking. frame.

The results speak for themselves, however, so while I sometimes detest the tracker, I love using it for special effects.

(This is the tracker in the Fusion tab, FWIW)

-John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
It's worth it for me and other people in California. People that don't like you will report your bike stolen and that causes a whole bunch of unnecessary issues to deal with. : /

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I've been on rides with folk before that have said at the start "make sure your blur my number plate", Cue me spending hours adding key frames to do it... For them to then upload a full pic of their bike including number plate to social media. Grr.

I think yeah it is maybe a mix of the legal thoughts and also a bit of privacy for larger channels. Don't think so many do it anymore as all they have to do is go to an event or meet and everyone knows it then.

If you have a cool plate show it off I say.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts