Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Unless you are doing something wrong, or are a "celebrity/person of interest" I really can't see any issue with showing something that anyone can see every time our bike/car/truck is out in public. Did he state why it was a bad decision?

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
Unless you are doing something wrong, or are a "celebrity/person of interest" I really can't see any issue with showing something that anyone can see every time our bike/car/truck is out in public. Did he state why it was a bad decision?
He said it was just to much of a risk for people to use the tags to get your personal information. And assured me that it does happen. Although he said the biggest issue in the states at the moment is people putting info scanning devices on atm machines and gas pumps.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So basically they said there is someone somewhere is scanning our tags anyway?

I guess if I get internet famous and YouTube rich I will need to move to a gated neighborhood and have ill tempered dogs roaming the grounds with even more ill tempered handlers picking up after them. :p

Reactions: Mr. G

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Contactless payment is a real risk. In the UK people can't get any personal info from a reg plate, the most they could do is see if it is in date for tax and test and if it has been in an accident/has finance outstanding on it.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Contactless payment is a real risk. In the UK people can't get any personal info from a reg plate, the most they could do is see if it is in date for tax and test and if it has been in an accident/has finance outstanding on it.

Plus some states here have the tag stay with the vehicle so if you buy a used vehicle who knows what magazines and seedy websites have that tag unashamedly fully exposed for all to see...

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
So basically they said there is someone somewhere is scanning our tags anyway?

I guess if I get internet famous and YouTube rich I will need to move to a gated neighborhood and have ill tempered dogs roaming the grounds with even more ill tempered handlers picking up after them. :p
Damn, your even going to have handlers!?

Reactions: R-Rated

blipblip

Wannabie Member
Apr 20, 2019
England
I ride a
zx10r
I'm new here :D but i blur my reg and everybody else's for privacy and a fine (ticket) :D.

Also to deter bike thieves, they might not stalk me to find my garage but my neighbours car might.

so much dodgy things take place where I live because of the fact that there's not a single working speed camera within this town lool.

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
He said it was just to much of a risk for people to use the tags to get your personal information. And assured me that it does happen. Although he said the biggest issue in the states at the moment is people putting info scanning devices on atm machines and gas pumps.
The UK has somewhere in the region of 8500 ANPR cameras that read plates and track/log movement. Nothing to fear unless your vehicle is on a watchlist, or ends up on one.

While I get the blurring thing, there's no way within the UK now (partly thanks to GDPR) to get any driver details with just the plate.. I've transferred numerous vehicles since GDPR, the V5C document we have nere no longer includes the details of the previous owner etc etc. I still have documents with last owner details on them though ;)

As an aside, last weekend I rode nearly 1200miles and passed literally thousands of drivers/riders/pedestrians, every one of them has the ability to read my plate - how many of them also had a camera?

Realistically, the worst anyone could do is clone it - security pass and cameras would likely prove me to be at work so it wasn't me :p

mykb93

Do the math!
Jun 27, 2012
USA
I ride a
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
I think when I first started out motovlogging I tried to cover my plate but I'm so lame and never "really" break the law it was a waste of time to blur it out. As for privacy, well here in the good ole USA we have no expectation of privacy when in public anyways so... who cares really. If I piss someone off enough to write my tag down and try and find me, they are going to get what they want.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I've had someone report my plate to police claiming I had an accident and left the scene (I didn't). Logn story shoprt I copped a fine.

This was in ;real life' and not from a YT clip so it happens.

I don't bother blurring out ANY number plate including my own. It's all public so there are no issues in not bothering,

I get annoyed by those dasshcam vids where for some reason the channel chooses to blur out the plates of people doing stupid things [ reeks of protecting the guilty.

edit: oops, older thread, ah well. At least its a useful topic :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If all the riders know I am filming, and they know I post my videos on social media, and they pull wheelies etc, unless they have said to me prior to not show that stuff, it is entirely on them if they get grief. Now I will always try to avoid showing that stuff, not just to protect them, but 1 it isn't what my channel is about, and 2 it brings a bad name/rep on biking. I like to think we are all ambassadors for biking, so we have a duty of care to reflect it in good light... but then I am not 22 years old on a Gixer 1000cc lol :D

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
If all the riders know I am filming, and they know I post my videos on social media, and they pull wheelies etc, unless they have said to me prior to not show that stuff, it is entirely on them if they get grief. Now I will always try to avoid showing that stuff, not just to protect them, but 1 it isn't what my channel is about, and 2 it brings a bad name/rep on biking. I like to think we are all ambassadors for biking, so we have a duty of care to reflect it in good light... but then I am not 22 years old on a Gixer 1000cc lol :D

Don't think a wheelie would bring a bad rep to the community. But it does depend on where and how ;)
Most people seem to complain out noise and revbombing these days.

Reactions: HippoDrone

KrustyBoot

Become one with the Krustyness
Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
All the shit bikes! :)
I think the simplest thing to do is just to remember not to talk about anything relevant to the video while you stand behind the bike looking at the plate, then you won't need to edit it out later! :) Or if your getting beauty shots but don't want to show the plate throw a rag over it. Personally I won't show my plate just incase, there are people out there who will report you just to get their kicks these days unfortunatley! If they are determined they will find a way to inconvenience you but there's no reason to make it easier for them!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts