Noob question time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulless82

Wannabie Member
Feb 15, 2012
I ride a
My two left feet... For the time being..
What do you guys do, do you change the way you ride when the roads are wet?

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
No reason not to ride just because it's wet. Just be a bit more cautious and stay off the painted bits.

Yarek

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
I ride a
Street Triple 'R' - 2010 Matt Orange
A number of things you have to watch in the wet - oily patches, painted lines on the road, cold tyres. As Clarky said - always ride to the conditions, slow down, give yourself more space from the vehicle in front and now that I've got a bike with a lot more power - don't twist the wrist too much.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
I find pouring rain easy to ride in. it's slightly damp roads that screw you over big time.

Just enough water to bring the grease and oil to the surface of the tarmac, but not enough that you think "this is a wet road I'll slow down". Bloody lethal that is.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Once you have ridden a few times in the wet your riding adjusts & you don't even know you're doing it.

That corner you would take at a lean your now taking it upright & that 30mph curve in the road your taking at 25.

When the weather conditions aren't perfect, which is quite alo of the time living in the UK. You will start too look so far ahead & read the road that, that grid right infront of you, you've postioned yourself without really thinking about it & are focusing & planning the next possible problem.

With riding come experiance, you need to ride in the bad conditions so when you get caught out you know how to react.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
real sailors ride the RED seas...

narrrrr mean

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
I read a few years back that tyre manufacturers reckon your average road tyre has about 80% of the grip it does in the dry.

Dunno if I'd fancy testing that theory, though! :shock:

I move around a lot more on the bike when it's wet. This keeps the bike more upright in the turns so you get more grip. Also the best thing you can do is RELAX and keep breathing! Wet riding is almost like meditating to me, and I have to say i quite enjoy it and having to be that much more smooth with everything.

And don't get fooled into buying super-sticky treadless track tyres, because they will catch you out in the rain, and the chances are you won't be able to ride anywhere near the limits of even a modern sports touring tyre even on a dry track. ;)

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
Anything shiny. Stay off it.

Almost binned my bike going over a cattle grid, despite going straight. Wet man hole covers are a favourite at any junction; prepare for front wheel wash out or unexpected burn outs/drifting.

Just ride carefully, use your head, think ahead more.

Yarek

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
I ride a
Street Triple 'R' - 2010 Matt Orange
A friend of mine has been riding for years, including doing a lot of touring around Europe and the only time he's dropped his bike was on a stretch of 30mph road and feathered the brakes while the front wheel was going over an oily patch on the road. He was fine, but he crumpled the fairing on his bike :S

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Another one to watch for: road banding. The bits of tar that covers road joins for bridges or even the sensors for monitoring traffic flow and lights.

Even dead straight 70mph on the severn bridge on a wet day resulted in a slidey rear tyre and a puckering arse. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
ariderslife said:
real sailors ride the RED seas...

narrrrr mean

Best post on motovlog :lol:

Chrus600 said:
Anything shiny. Stay off it.

Lost my back wheel on a very awkwardly placed manhole cover yesterday in the wet.

One of those "Whoa, that was close" moments. Doesn't help theres no tred on my tyre though! :D

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Bloke said:
Another one to watch for: road banding. The bits of tar that covers road joins for bridges or even the sensors for monitoring traffic flow and lights.

That tar they put down on bad patch jobs is so deadly even in the dry and why do they place in on so many corners!

Another thing about riding in the wet is a good set of tyres, I'm just boasting about a purchase now *grin* pilot road 3 tyres have made wet riding so much better.

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
So far I love them but only just about scrubbed them in, still got a half inch chicken strip on the back. But yea I noticed the grip level was much better even before fully scrubbed in. I was running (for comparision) bridgestone bt21 front and bt23 rear before and never felt that safe full lean on corners and they took an age to warm up, the pilots seem to warm up very fast.

Cost fitted I paid 240ish for a set, dunno if that was good or bad.

Word of warning tho I don't have high miles on them yet so how they last I dont know. I wore the bridgestons out in 7k miles.

But I did notice the guy behind the counter at the tyre shop also had them fitted to his bike (I took that as a good sign).

Darkzy43

Wannabie Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ashford, Kent
I ride a
1996 Gs500 (modified and restricted)
The Bridgstone BT45's are good (what i was using on my GS before it started getting refurbished) But have also heard good things about the Pilot Road 3's so..

Generally you want to be extra careful if its just rained after a dry spell. As the rain brings grease and stuff up off of the road making the layer of rain extra slippery. But yeah.. Ride how you're comfortable and if the back slips out you know you have to back off ;) ;) .. (Thats a joke btw :D)

P.S The only noob question is the one not asked :)

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
Honda Pan Euopean 1100, Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, Ducati Diavel, CBR600RR-8
Try this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8cVOkfvTI[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts