Not open for further replies.

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Okay everyone, new vlogger here!

Using a GoPro HD Hero (many may know it as the Hero 1)
I'm currently working out the bugs of using my phone through an audio app allowing me to adjust the gain on a phone headset with mic wrapped in foam tucked away in my helmet, gain turned down about -15dB.

It's a challenge, but I'm hoping to have the finishing touches put on it very very soon.

Using audio wave for audio edits, live movie maker for the vid (blech, it's free).

I have no motovlog-specific photos yet, but once I get a couple vids out I will ask a photography friend of mine to take some. Kinda going for the mystery-anonymous thing for now. I would like to keep it low profile, at least for a while.

I also do not know anything about photoshop or similar things as far as creating images/ a background/ backdrop/ logo-type thing, but again, I figure that can wait a few weeks and won't matter.

So, yeah!
Tips?
Tricks?

My Youtube channel is YT Strider, I already booked the Facebook YTStrider and I have the Gmail YTStrider@gmail.com
Contact me, like me, sub me, or just post comments or suggestions.
Anything and everything welcome!

ham

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sydney
I ride a
Ninja 250R
Welcome :)

I reckon you should use an external mic on the GoPro as it saves time having to sync audio/video in editing.

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Ham-
I would totally love to!
However, I don't have the GoPro Hero 2 to do that with.
Mine does not come with an audio jack.

I have found this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYhEl9t8zCM

But I am not very skilled when it comes to electronics.
I'm more of a nuts and bolts guy

Also, this camera is used for other activities where waterproof is REQUIRED.

I could maybe get the extended back piece, but I don't know how that'd work.

My absolute best option would be to make to split the GoPro, pull out the old mic, solder on new wiring, have the extended backing cover with a plug and then take my old microphone, cut and solder connections and make the matching plug, then have a plug and play system.
Assuming that mic will be better in the helmet than the current one (which it probably would be).

I'm definitely getting frustrated, but all of that cutting and soldering would be pretty permanent and I would prefer to just make due for a while to see how everything works out, then step up if possible.

I don't have a whole lot of a budget in for this, but I'd really like to make it work.

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Ham,
I just watched your Valentine vid and that cracked me up.
Awesome footage man.
How sad is it that I went a solid 10-15 seconds only noticing the Ducati and not the Ferrari right next to it.

ham

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sydney
I ride a
Ninja 250R
YTStrider said:
Ham,
I just watched your Valentine vid and that cracked me up.
Awesome footage man.
How sad is it that I went a solid 10-15 seconds only noticing the Ducati and not the Ferrari right next to it.

haha, thanks :p

With regards to the GoPro, maybe you can get a 2nd hand Hero 2? Or upgrade to a Hero 3? Sometimes a bit of money can save a tonne of headaches :)

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
I agree, but I am hoping to see if I can even get anywhere before I bother with dumping my bank accounts into it too much.

I may have to try finding a used one, but I want to try to find a set up before I take that leap.

Or at least dedicating some more time to trying to find that setup.

I'm going to stop by an audio/music shop tomorrow to see if they have any tips. Might be a good idea to figure out a way to do this.
As mentioned, electronics aren't my forte.

And I know it will be more work, but a clap in the beginning and then syncing the clap in video and audio shouldn't be too difficult. Just need to get my mic to pop less.
I can get voice, but then my engine is too loud. And I've tried behind the cheek, under the chin strap, forehead, temple, top of my head, anything.
Too much popping or too sensitive.
And with -20dB gain on the input, still too much noise, practically to the point of unrecognizable speech.

And no problem, very funny!

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
So I spent probably 2-3 hours today trying to get myself off the ground and getting audio running.
My old headphone-mic setup was sh!t, so I swapped it out. Went to an electronics store, got a stereo plug, 4 conductor plug, some wire and made an adaptor for my phone.
Now it thinks it's plugging into a headphone and mic setup, just with no headphones. So I am currently using
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Se ... zalman+mic

And I am assuming it's just too sensitive.
So, what else can I use?
Any suggestions?

I've given up for now.
I may buy another mic to try, but this has me frustrated.

Swapping to another camera won't solve this problem either, because regardless of camera, the audio is jacked.

Advice, assistance, guidance and support appreciated!

ham

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sydney
I ride a
Ninja 250R
I would try another mic. You need to use the process of elimination to see what is causing your issues.

Is there a volume wheel anywhere on the mic? Perhaps you could wire in an attenuator?

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
There is not a volume wheel.

My recording app has an input gain adjustment and I've tried everything from 0 to -20dB then played with it on editing software, does not work out well.

However, I noticed it's a high-sensitivity mic. Which makes me feel quite stupid. That could be the source of my problems, the mic is set up to pick up EVERYTHING.

I put foam over it, put tape over it, put tape and foam over it, and still WAY too much popping.

I'm thinking I may give this a try-
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1

ham

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sydney
I ride a
Ninja 250R
YTStrider said:
There is not a volume wheel.

My recording app has an input gain adjustment and I've tried everything from 0 to -20dB then played with it on editing software, does not work out well.

However, I noticed it's a high-sensitivity mic. Which makes me feel quite stupid. That could be the source of my problems, the mic is set up to pick up EVERYTHING.

I put foam over it, put tape over it, put tape and foam over it, and still WAY too much popping.

I'm thinking I may give this a try-
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1

I know the Audio Technica 3550 definately works, I would try that above anything else.

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Any reason you don't suggest to Drift mic?
I know that's a popular mic and camera, especially for motovlogs.

ham

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sydney
I ride a
Ninja 250R
Only because I use it and know it works, completely up to you but I think my audio is decent.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
Whats SOcal?

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Audio Technica is on its way Ham!

ARidersLife- Southern California!
I actually just discovered him, but I'm about 20 minutes from BakerXDerek!

Romans5.8

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2013
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Here's what I do. Up to you if you'd like an investment like that, or not!

For audio, I use a Shark brand bluetooth headset. $100 for a pair. Also doubles as a great way to listen to music! And of course as a bike-to-bike intercom, which my wife and I use a lot!

That bluetooths to my cellphone, which I use an app called "Recorder plus". Not ALL apps support bluetooth recording, so check! It also has a nice feature where I can download the audio file over Wi-Fi. Syncing up is easy, takes 3 seconds. Just use software that visually shows both audio, clap 5 times at the beginning, line up the 'peaks' on the audio. Easy.

Sound quality is great. It cancels noise without needing to put the mic way back in the helmet under stuff; so no muffled voice! In fact, my lips touch the mic. It's all the way out in front!

Here's a recent video. Just skip to somewhere after the intro to hear me babbling with my setup;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQ54pplAmQ

One tip if you do something similar? Set your phone to NOT pickup any calls. Otherwise it'll kill your recording halfway through! THEN syncing audio would be a pain.

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC
Thanks for the response, but this is horribly outdated now.
I am now using a Drift HD1080 with the Audio Technica ATR3500 and it works great.
So far I'm almost out to 50 vids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts