New Mic: Not good

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 SE
When i motovlog, I use my camera (gopro sessions 4) and a voice recorder with a lav mic. The mic that I currently use was a cheapo through walmart and works good. I wanted to get a little better in the quality so I purchased a new lav mic through amazon that looked good and felt sturdy and high quality. When I used it in a video, I should have used that plus my origional mic because the new one didn't record a single sound... Anyway does anyone have a good recommendation for a lav mic that will work for a voice recorder?

Reactions: HeyItsRick

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Reactions: NF Vulcan

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
Damn, looked both of those up, amazon will not send them to the US... Thank you though, at least I have something to reference in my search for a better quality audio mic

Reactions: HippoDrone

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
Damn, looked both of those up, amazon will not send them to the US... Thank you though, at least I have something to reference in my search for a better quality audio mic
Hey Bud! I've been through all kinds of mic problems.
Here's one that I was using similar to what @HippoDrone referenced. Bendy Mic
I'm typically a +4 Stars kinda guy when it comes to amazon but this mic worked really well for awhile. Just be sure to wrap it properly with deadcat, I like to add a layer of bandana cloth on top since my voice is really bass-y and I dont like the fur rubbing on my face.
I made the mistake of removing the foam and just adding deadcat. My audio was peaking the whole time setup that way, now I've got layed with original foam, deadcat, and a cloth wrap over the whole thing.

One trick that I find that I need to do for my session (5), is that I need to press the menu button on the back first to power up the camera before hitting record, otherwise it wont pick up any audio.

Right now what I'm using is the Giant Squid mic, its $50 on amazon but I paid $60 directly from the buyer for an upgraded 3.5mm plug (wasnt necessary) Giant Squid
I'd say this one is not entirely necessary, it picks up more audio than the bendy mic did but that isnt really a good thing.

I've also tried the Sony ECMCS3 but it's not compatible with the newer gopros.
Neewer mics didnt work for me, I went cheap so maybe that was the reason.
Also tried two different versions of Lav mics by a company called PopVoice, both came with adapters for use on PC/Android but no luck there either. Hopefully this narrows down your search a bit.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
One trick that I find that I need to do for my session (5), is that I need to press the menu button on the back first to power up the camera before hitting record, otherwise it wont pick up any audio.
I have made a video on how to "fix" that issue Rick, it should be on my YouTube channel front page still in my most popular vids section.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I have made a video on how to "fix" that issue Rick, it should be on my YouTube channel front page still in my most popular vids section.
LOL I had actually seen your video back when I first got my hero5 session, before I knew about motovlog.com.
I really dont mind taking that extra step of hitting the menu button so I'm keeping mine up to date on firmware. Hitting the menu button allows me to confirm my settings anyway so I'll just wait until they put out patch to fix the one touch record.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Cool, I can't reach the button on my setup if using my Session 5 as a helmetcam. I doubt they will patch it though, it is effectively an obsolete camera now (a very good camera nonetheless).

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
I use the Sony ECMCS3 with my GPH4B and is really good quality over my eBay/Amazon cheap jobs.

Unsure if the Sony mic is compatible with the session.

I know in the future I will use a recorder so I can mic my engine/exhaust sound up.

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
Hey Bud! I've been through all kinds of mic problems.
Here's one that I was using similar to what @HippoDrone referenced. Bendy Mic
I'm typically a +4 Stars kinda guy when it comes to amazon but this mic worked really well for awhile. Just be sure to wrap it properly with deadcat, I like to add a layer of bandana cloth on top since my voice is really bass-y and I dont like the fur rubbing on my face.
I made the mistake of removing the foam and just adding deadcat. My audio was peaking the whole time setup that way, now I've got layed with original foam, deadcat, and a cloth wrap over the whole thing.

Right now what I'm using is the Giant Squid mic, its $50 on amazon but I paid $60 directly from the buyer for an upgraded 3.5mm plug (wasnt necessary) Giant Squid
I'd say this one is not entirely necessary, it picks up more audio than the bendy mic did but that isnt really a good thing.

I've also tried the Sony ECMCS3 but it's not compatible with the newer gopros.
Neewer mics didnt work for me, I went cheap so maybe that was the reason.
Also tried two different versions of Lav mics by a company called PopVoice, both came with adapters for use on PC/Android but no luck there either. Hopefully this narrows down your search a bit.
Hey Boss, thanks for this info. Currently I am running a sessions (4) so no mic adapter for me. However I will be looking into your options that you posted. Thanks for all the info!!

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
I use the Sony ECMCS3 with my GPH4B and is really good quality over my eBay/Amazon cheap jobs.

Unsure if the Sony mic is compatible with the session.

I know in the future I will use a recorder so I can mic my engine/exhaust sound up.
Unfortunately, the sessions (4) does not support any kind of mic adapter/mic at all, so its all external for me.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Hey Boss, thanks for this info. Currently I am running a sessions (4) so no mic adapter for me. However I will be looking into your options that you posted. Thanks for all the info!!
I forgot to mention, if you're recording audio externally the Sony mic is really good though I had to use a TRS to TRRS adapter.
Before I got the mic adapter I was using an old iPod Touch with the Voice Record Pro app. The app allows you to adjust the gain and choose the file type / bitrate / etc.
I actually still use that setup when recording my garage vlogs, with the fans running in the background its the only way to get clear audio. Though lately I've opted for the mic that came with my samsung phone, I chopped off the headphones, added a clip and a foam windscreen. Cheap, ghetto, but it works until my next paycheck lol.

suds750

Wannabie Member
Oct 10, 2018
I ride a
Kawasaki Versys650
Hi, does anyone know if the Sony ECM-CS3 mic is compatible with a Sony HDR AS100V camera? I'm really struggling to find a mic that works and am starting to think that the ebay seller has unloaded a faulty camera onto me!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't know I'm afraid, but there are a couple of different types of 3.5mm audio jacks so you may have one that isn't compatible with the camera.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts