launch

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2011
Gnarth America
www.launchhelmetcams.ca
I ride a
Bunch of different two wheeled badboys.
Introducing the 'Contour Roam' ---> http://contour.com/products/contour-roam

With the ousting of the price point Contour HD 1080p mid august, the industry has been buzzing with rumours and speculation of what would replace their entry-level camera. With Contour shouting the release off of mountaintops earlier today, we are happy to finally be able to share with you the ‘ContourROAM’.

Much like its’ predecessor, the Contour ROAM comes out as a stripped down version of Contour’s much loved GPS and PLUS models, rounding out the Contour line with their staple features fusing seamlessly with some newly introduced attributes.

What is Carrying Over?

Their new camera doesn’t ROAM too far from home, adopting many of the popular features from the top of the line Contour PLUS. The Contour ROAM incorporates the same 170 degree ‘Custom 6 element glass’ flush front lens from it’s big brother, and allows for extensive angle tweaking with 270 degrees of lens rotation. Moreover, its’ older siblings also shared some staple features with the ROAM, like laser alignment, an adjustable internal multidirectional microphone, 5MP sensor for still photo mode, and of course Contour’s signature low profile shape.

What’s Different / New?

While upholding many features of Contour’s current line of cameras, the Contour ROAM also brings a few new additions to the table.

Firstly, they changed the functionality of their signature sliding recording switch to not only start / stop filming, but also power the camera on and off. This new ‘instant on-record switch’ means you can start capturing the action just 2 seconds after sliding it into the on position, saving battery and memory card space for when you really need it.

Secondly, until the Contour ROAM no camera has boasted full waterproofing without a housing. The ContourROAM however is claimed to be fully submersible ‘up to 1 meter‘ thanks to some new sealed gaskets protecting the camera’s insides. You will still need a waterproof case though to get really deep, and if history has taught us anything about waterproofing, it is that testing the limits is a good way to end up with Contour’s (top notch) support team.

Lastly, there have been a couple notable changes to the physical design of the camera itself. The Contour ROAM is the first from the brand to have an integrated non-removable battery, as well as a built-in ¼’’ tripod mount. The camera is also a touch longer and lighter than the rest of its’ family members, and the new battery will also yield about 30% longer life.

What This All Means?!?!

The Contour ROAM is basically stepping up the lower end of the helmet cam game, with a pretty huge jump. By incorporating many key features from the ‘prosumer’ level Contour PLUS, it packs a lot in for an ‘entry level’ camera. Likewise, the increased waterproofing and ‘instant on-record switch’ offer hands-free and more importantly, stress-free filming wherever your adventures lead you to ROAM.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
Think ParisianZee may have something to say about the top end contours. :) new features sound good though, defiantly like the sound of the inbuilt tripod thread.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
This is nice and all, but it hasn't made me regret buying my Drift... Time will tell if they've fixed their reliability issues.

launch

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2011
Gnarth America
www.launchhelmetcams.ca
I ride a
Bunch of different two wheeled badboys.
Ya, this camera really rounds out the line, by giving those price point consumers something to get into. We didn't think this would really swing a lot of customers away from the brands / cameras they already have, but surely the 'ROAM' will draw some people in who otherwise would go with super low end toy cameras.

I'm guessing because there isn't a lot of 'new' software / firmware going into this camera that it should be more 'reliable' than some of their other releases. Contour's cams are certainly heavily based on computers right, and so its no surprise really that it takes a bit of time for them to figure out all the bugs. The GPS had heaps of problems right off the bat with new firmware coming out every week, the PLUS didn't have the same degree of firmware issues, but has been steadily improved over the last months, and I imagine that since there isn't much in terms of new tech in the ROAM that it should be all good.

I really respect companies that hold product releases until they are top-notch (such as DRIFT pushing the HD release back to develop the firmware further), it really saves everyone a lot of hassle.

Things that sorta confuse us about the ROAM?
- Built in battery. WHY?!?! - in the cold batteries die super fast. Are you supposed to take 3 ROAMS up with you when you go snowboarding? or just break every run to charge your camera in the lodge. Assuming they think the battery will last longer because of the new on/off recording switch and that to beef up the waterproofing they needed to do that. Regardless, being able to swap batteries on the fly in the field seems pretty key, especially for you VLOGGER types out on tours or longer rides.
- 1 Meter of waterproofing?!? - Dangerous. Basically every watersport is going to go deeper than a meter, or at least put more pressure on the gaskets than the camera can take (think about a wakeboarding bail for example).

Anyways, you guys are definitely more Contour PLUS types (except the broke ones, hehe) but I just thought I'd share some news with you, and keep you all up to date. HOORAY FOR CAMS!

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
pizzaonaninja said:
I find it particularly useful to have Launch with us.

Thanks for the update!

Agreed, if only other companies did the same in forums. Rather than going LOOK, CLICK HERE. BUY OUR STUFF. (where not spam honest)

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
pizzaonaninja said:
launch said:
Oh ya, sorry I forgot. Buy our stuff.

you kinda remind me of the guy that scammed CB

Not sure what you mean?? They where confrontational, agressive and had terrible customer relations. As far as I've seen latch has only be helpful. And they were selling crappy sunglasses cameras.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
Chessecake94 said:
pizzaonaninja said:
launch said:
Oh ya, sorry I forgot. Buy our stuff.

you kinda remind me of the guy that scammed CB

Not sure what you mean?? They where confrontational, agressive and had terrible customer relations. As far as I've seen latch has only be helpful. And they were selling crappy sunglasses cameras.

¬_¬...... *hint* *hint* *nod* *nod* *sarcasm* *sarcasm*?

that's exactly what I mean. view was AWFUL, launch is great.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
pizzaonaninja said:
¬_¬...... *hint* *hint* *nod* *nod* *sarcasm* *sarcasm*?

that's exactly what I mean. view was AWFUL, launch is great.
[/quote][/quote]

Oh right lol. Maybe next time put SARCASM in bold red writing so my small brain realises. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts