New channel on YouTube, looking for advice

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
Looking for advice on growing my YouTube channel. I have about 95 videos posted, I also do a weekly livestream with other Bikers and also Veterans. I am retired from the Navy and all of the income I have made from my channel has been donated to 3 Veteran Non Profits. I certainly do not do YouTube for the income. I do it as a hobby and the reason I started the channel was to share my riding with a friend who cannot ride anymore that lives in Scotland. He and I traveled all over the UK and Europe when I was stationed in London.

I am not super tech savvy, I use iMovie to edit. I use a GoPro hero 8 on the top of my helmet and also a Sena 10C EVO on the side of my helmet and use the audio from it. I run the GoPro on the top of helmet because I ride a Harley Road Glide and the windscreen and fairing would block a chin mount camera.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Looking for advice on growing my YouTube channel. I have about 95 videos posted, I also do a weekly livestream with other Bikers and also Veterans. I am retired from the Navy and all of the income I have made from my channel has been donated to 3 Veteran Non Profits. I certainly do not do YouTube for the income. I do it as a hobby and the reason I started the channel was to share my riding with a friend who cannot ride anymore that lives in Scotland. He and I traveled all over the UK and Europe when I was stationed in London.

I am not super tech savvy, I use iMovie to edit. I use a GoPro hero 8 on the top of my helmet and also a Sena 10C EVO on the side of my helmet and use the audio from it. I run the GoPro on the top of helmet because I ride a Harley Road Glide and the windscreen and fairing would block a chin mount camera.
Depending on the size of the channel you can try milestone subscriber or view time give aways. Another idea would be maybe advertise in local motorcycle magazines.

That last idea is something I have toyed with but haven't tried yet.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Clearly I don't have the answer, my channel has grown at a snail's pace this summer, even though I'm more happy then ever with the videos I've been making.

Are you using Facebook or Instagram to help draw attention to your YouTube channel?

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Clearly I don't have the answer, my channel has grown at a snail's pace this summer, even though I'm more happy then ever with the videos I've been making.

Are you using Facebook or Instagram to help draw attention to your YouTube channel?
I have shared them on facebook and instagram but i think it throws off the algorithm for sharing videos and also the CTR is low from those avenues

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
This is all good advice, but I'd say keep plugging away and trying new things - I think that's what really draws in the crowds. I say think, because after over a year, I'm at about 640 subs and slowly, but steadily, growing.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
This is all good advice, but I'd say keep plugging away and trying new things - I think that's what really draws in the crowds.
I've heard more than once to NOT try new things but to rather stick to doing one thing but do it as well as possible. Focus the channel in a narrow niche so the audience knows exactly what to expect.

Of course that's not what I want my channel to be, I enjoy trying new things and experimenting. I'm less concerned with optimizing and more concerned with having fun. ;)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've heard more than once to NOT try new things but to rather stick to doing one thing but do it as well as possible. Focus the channel in a narrow niche so the audience knows exactly what to expect.

Of course that's not what I want my channel to be, I enjoy trying new things and experimenting. I'm less concerned with optimizing and more concerned with having fun. ;)

OK, so I left a bit out there - sorry! The advice I've received, from videos by well-established channels [50k-800k subs], is that yes, you should find your niche and focus on it, but if you personally want to go a different direction, don't be afraid to try new things once in a while. It was suggested to mix those videos in sporadically and on "off days" when your existing audience wouldn't expect a video anyway, to test the waters.

I think with around 170 videos on my channel in the last year, I have tried a great many things... some work, some don't, all were fun to film & edit, so I don't see me stopping any of those. I sort of think of myself as a motovlogger to motovloggers. I got my regular vlogs, my unboxing/test videos, my camera test vlogs, and Davinci Resolve tutorials. It's made for slower growth than you've seen being niched-down, but still steady growth.

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Social Media is your friend, joining relevant Facebook groups and commenting and liking other peoples posts on them while sharing the odd video but not spamming is a good way to get out there. You gotta pick the groups carefully though as some can be a little toxic, and others don't like self-promotion. So give to them more than you take is my main advice with Facebook.
Don't forget to add your channel and social media links in the "Share Your Social Channel" thread:

I see you may have done so already with possibly a duplicate account? I can delete that account if this is the one you are going to be using as folk are only allowed a single account on here.

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Social Media is your friend, joining relevant Facebook groups and commenting and liking other peoples posts on them while sharing the odd video but not spamming is a good way to get out there. You gotta pick the groups carefully though as some can be a little toxic, and others don't like self-promotion. So give to them more than you take is my main advice with Facebook.
Don't forget to add your channel and social media links in the "Share Your Social Channel" thread:

I see you may have done so already with possibly a duplicate account? I can delete that account if this is the one you are going to be using as folk are only allowed a single account on here.
Yes please I created the other account inadvertently.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
no probs, have gotten rid of it. Do make a new post in the share your social channels thread though so we can find your YouTube channel! :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts