Music During Vlogger Speaking

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
This is probably just my own problem, but I have noticed quite a lot of the vloggers I'm following are putting music in the background of the parts of their vlogs where they are speaking and its really disttracting. One of the biggest issues with motovlogging in capturing the audio and to me adding any extra sound or noise that goes along with the dialigue is detrimental. For me it is not helping and it makes it hard for me to finish videos because I can't hear the rider, get pulled out of the topic, and there's no reason for me to listen any longer unless its just a video about the scenery (in that case, just have some sensual tunes playing and let me get lost on the ride). What are everybody elese thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: carbon and R-Rated

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I think some do it as they might think it drowns out some of the wind noise, and to follow the current trend of vlogging.
Personally I think it's fine if the voice is clear enough to begin with, as music doesn't drown out anything.
It is the choice of music that matters.

Reactions: R-Rated

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I must agree with @F4celess , that as long as the music does not make it harder to hear the voice, it does not bother me very much too. If it makes hard to understand the words, it distracts and makes your thoughts wander.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I don't like to ride with music, adding lyrics over a vlog could get messy, I can see your point about it being a distraction. Quiet instrumental in the background behinds a vlog would be okay, I havent done this because it's hard to find good free tunes. And I dont want to have it being Monetized by copyright owner and not myself. Any of my shop vids, I have to mute my radio or TV.

But as of Feb 20 and the new demonetization, I'm going to let that music play!

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I dislike music over talking, its fine when its done right, but very few people do the levels right and the music ends up being loud enough to distract me from the talking.

People are trying to put too much in a video, better to keep it simple.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
My favorite topic!

Sometimes I do it to break the monotony. Sometimes to mask something else going on*. Recently overlapping the music as a segue from title to trailing off into voice and then back.

Surpisingly, if the music track is done right, it can set the mood. Check out films and TV for examples of that.

I have been toying with spoofing it and doing the same short clip with different music and see how it affects folks.

A trend that I have not seen yet is adding a laugh track to the motovlog.:p

P.S. I am sure @Northfork Vulcan, @HippoDrone, and @Mr. G know why it pops up in interviews from time to time.

too-many-fans.jpg

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I'll add the fact that I have been using music on top of the voice as well in the past with varying success. Almost always some kind of relaxed beat in the background. When there is a break in the talk, I turn the music up a bit. That's how it should be used IMO.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I put a lot of time in finding the music that I think suits my vlogs. Nine times out of ten I'll fade it out once I start talking, then introduce it again for a montage or riding sequence. Having it under the voice just seems too distracting as the direction and tone of the music often goes one way and the narration the other. There's no synergy between them. Using music with lyrics is also hard as the lyrics will change your vlog into a music video where a viewer may try to connect the lyrics with what's happening on screen. It may be more confusing if there are lyrics and a narrator too.

Just my thoughts,

- Wuf

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
If voice has the correct level to be clear, it doesn't matter a low volume background music

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I've seen a few videos with music and I'm conflicted on it. If its covering wind noise and it isn't distracting then its fine but if its distracting then I find it annoying

carbon

carbon fubar
Oct 27, 2017
Dorset
www.youtube.com
I ride a
R1200 GSA TE, the full fat model.
In reply to @LoneWolfer.

I think that music can make a video pop, if it's done correctly. Learning to use audio envelopes in the first place is the key. I understand what you're saying though and agree, high db levels over voice is irritating and simply pollutes the video. I recently attempted using music without really understanding the use of envelopes, yet after watching a few videos on the subject, I think I could have done a much better job. Also, the right type of music. I instantly turn off videos that use certain types of music, purely because I hate the music and therefore the video doesn't get seen.

WingManGT

Wannabie Member
Jan 16, 2017
Varna, Bulgaria
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6r
I use music in my garage videos, the only issue is finding the perfect balance between the audio levels of the mic and music. Currently i set the music to -25dB when I'm talking and it doesn't interfere with what I have to say :). I hate videos with absolutely nothing in the background, it feels kinda odd and half baked, but still depends on the video though. If you can't find the balance between your voice and music, better ditch the music. It should suplement the video, not be the main focus. Check out my last video if you wish, I think I've nailed the levels there :).

Reactions: scooterwuf

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
It's certainly a fine art to master. I've seen several vlogs where the speaker mumbles too much and the background music is usually some upbeat techno song or something, makes it very hard to hear them. I don't use music in my vlogs because I have a low voice and it's already hard to understand me (at least for me it is anyway). In my shop videos (if I could even make some more ) I like to overlay some low instrumental music. It definitely adds to the flavor and sets the tone of the videos. However like I said, it's something that can be very difficult to master, but if done right it can be like adding some spice to your dinner.

Reactions: WingManGT

Apr 6, 2018
Really quick solution to this problem: Stop watching bad motovloggers ;)

I edit out when my dog barks and other random occurrences, use 3-4 songs per video, overlay my voice recording from my tascam... No excuse for bad audio.

audio.PNG

Reactions: scooterwuf

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I try to stick to instrumental music. Music with lyrics may turn a vlog into a music video where the viewer my give creedence to the music and lyrics over the footage of the ride. An unconscious schism may happen if the viewer expects the footage to support the lyrics as well. If I have lyrics I like to play it over any credit sequence, especially if
it touches on any themes connected to a vlog.

Like Wingman I lower the volume, but anywhere from -15 - -20db, but I also listen to it with headphones, and my laptop speakers to see if there's any difference, with the aim of making it sound good over the laptop. What works for me with a sound track is I can use it to support the emotional tone of a vlog. I can open with a music track, lower it to a background level as my narration takes over, then bring it to the foreground for a montage sequences between, or after a monologue sequence.

- Wuf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts