Motovlogging helmets

KapGranite

New Hampshire, USA
Jun 16, 2020
New Hampshire
I ride a
Victory Cross Country
What helmets have you found to be the easiest to setup for motovlogging and what have you found to be a quiet helmet when going against wind noise? I have had a HJC modular which was fine but it is a pretty heavy helmet. I have a Voss 989 which works really well for my setup but has a bit of wind noise. Granted I do have a bit of wind that comes under my fairing and hits me perfectly right in the shoulder area.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I recently got a Shoei NXR which is by far the quietest helmet I have owned, but it gives me a headache after about an hour so it is now really only used for trackdays when it is only on for around 20min at a time. One problem I found with it was that it was a bit too quiet as a motovlogging helmet and you could barely hear my bike at all.
I know it isn't what you asked, but I'd suggest folk buy a helmet based on fit rather than ease of use as a motovlogger, but there is nothing wrong with a helmet that is both! :)
I've noticed some of the more popular helmets have mounting options that you can get 3D printed from the likes of Shapeways etc. I have a 3D printed chin mount on my NXR.
It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Sugru is a great if your helmet has an odd shaped chin piece as you can mould it to fit a GoPro mount really easily, I have used it on several of my helmet setups. It is as good as permanent though.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I still love the Icon Variant.
Was very quiet and the mic and camera etc fitted all so well.
The Nishua i have now still is good, but i think the next one will be a Icon Variant again ;)
I recently replaced my Nishua Enduro Carbon.... with another Nishua Enduro Carbon! :D haha

Reactions: Meifesto

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
The only thing I looked for in a helmet that was motovlog related was a clean chin area that I could easily mount the GoPro on. Otherwise, I was focused on comfort (test & learn really) and safety (Snell rated at least). The medium Shoei 1200-RF fit the bill for me, so went with it.

After I bought it I did have a few takeaways to add on, though. The helmet has a breath guard and a chin curtain, both of which I keep installed full time and appear to help with noise/wind getting inside the helmet. It also has a front vent which I can open/close (I keep it closed almost always), which I believe helps too. I'd say it's not "great" for wind reduction, generally, so that might be a knock on it for motovlog specificity.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The only thing I looked for in a helmet that was motovlog related was a clean chin area that I could easily mount the GoPro on. Otherwise, I was focused on comfort (test & learn really) and safety (Snell rated at least). The medium Shoei 1200-RF fit the bill for me, so went with it.

After I bought it I did have a few takeaways to add on, though. The helmet has a breath guard and a chin curtain, both of which I keep installed full time and appear to help with noise/wind getting inside the helmet. It also has a front vent which I can open/close (I keep it closed almost always), which I believe helps too. I'd say it's not "great" for wind reduction, generally, so that might be a knock on it for motovlog specificity.
I think that is the same helmet I have, just called different in the UK

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Well that says more then enough ;)
Why the replacement?
The lining was a bit tired and with all the messing about with removing it to run wires etc it was creaking and squeaking a bit, it had def had a hard life. I'm hoping my new setup on the new one is pretty solid and won't need fiddling with too much so it'll last longer. Louis have dropped the price on it now to just £165 which is an utter bargain for a carbon lid!

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
The lining was a bit tired and with all the messing about with removing it to run wires etc it was creaking and squeaking a bit, it had def had a hard life. I'm hoping my new setup on the new one is pretty solid and won't need fiddling with too much so it'll last longer. Louis have dropped the price on it now to just £165 which is an utter bargain for a carbon lid!

No lining available seperatly.
Then again, with that price who can doubt whether or not to replace them helmet ;)

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
No lining available seperatly.
Then again, with that price who can doubt whether or not to replace them helmet ;)
TBH, I didn't check, but I've had it a few years and I like to change them regularly, possibly too often, but it is nice to look after your noggin! :D

Reactions: Meifesto

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts