Motorcycle and riding trope errors

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
This always seems to come up. You're watching a movie or TV show where someone is riding a motorcycle, and then the actor/director/writer does something stupid that clearly shows they don't know anything about riding.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

- Rider parks their bike and just whips their helmet off. No unbuckling or straps, Just pulls it off.

- A character jumps on a MC for the first time and knows how to ride it.

I can add more, but anyone have those motorcycle/riding trope errors that drive you craze?

- Wolf

Reactions: LoneWolfer

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I am a big fan of the TV show CHiPs. Until riding a motorcycle myself, I never realized Ponch would deploy his kickstand before coming to a complete stop a lot!

I guess he never worried about having to take back off after the bad guy. o_O

Reactions: LandyVlad

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Yes, drive me insane. Pretty much every car/bike movie with a chase in it.

Being an engineer I also despair at any workshop activities shown onscreen.

But the one thing that annoys me more than anything is unrealistic gunfights - being a prolific shooter there is nothing more annoying that that for me :D

Perhaps I just a miserable git!

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I enjoyed the movie, but the motorcycle chase/fightscene in John Wick 3 was impossible. I’ve been fencing for almost 30 years, trust me no one would use a sword while on a bike (or any weapon) when you need both hands to operate it. Plus, why attack the rider if you could just slash a tire?

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I enjoyed the movie, but the motorcycle chase/fightscene in John Wick 3 was impossible. I’ve been fencing for almost 30 years, trust me no one would use a sword while on a bike (or any weapon) when you need both hands to operate it. Plus, why attack the rider if you could just slash a tire?

There is a motor officer in South Africa that used his pistol while riding so some weapons can be used. The first person POV is on YouTube.

There is a movie called City Limits that MST3K panned where they had motorcycle jousting. Interesting concept.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Me and some mates were gonna do motojousting as an event in our 125Hundreds race series we came up with, were gonna use BB guns instead of lances though! :D

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
How do you think ye old knights managed? I've ridden horses... they often need two hands as well! :D

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Sons of Anarchy had tons of annoying moments like this. The most annoying was when they all ride in and park straight on in parking spots or driveways and then when they leave are able to just take off without spending five minutes doing a ten point turn with all the bikes to get pointed the right direction.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Yeah and motorbike ads which lie outright.

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" my arse. LOL :p

But the one thing that annoys me more than anything is unrealistic gunfights - being a prolific shooter there is nothing more annoying that that for me :D

LOL absolutely. ANY movie featuring guns will get the shooting community (i.e. me) riles up abou tinaccuracies - fromteh very minor "this is set in 1917 but that version of that firearm wasn't released until 1921" through to some seriously ridiculous stupidity.

Arnie as Terminator using thee pump action shotgun on the motorbike.. comes to mind immediately.
Plus anyone holding a pistol sideways 'gangsta style' and hitting anything they are intendsing to shoot.

Reactions: motosera

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Yep, horses I can see as they ride themselves, and I'm guessing there's a level of control delivered through the legs if the hands are occupied.

I've ridding one before, and I'm not afraid of horses, but they kind of freak me out. Standing next to something that can kick or step on you is a little unsettling.

- Wolf

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts