MotoCamping and Recording

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I'm curious how everyone goes about motovlogging/vlogging while camping.
My first experience motocamping was quick and barebones, I strung a tarp on my handlebar and sissybar and slept for about 4 hours before packing up and continuing my trip.
I'm planning on doing an overnight next week where I'm basically getting off work and riding straight to a campsite and returning for dinner the next day.
What has me concerned is, I want to record on the way there, I'd like to record a timelapse of me setting up camp and even do a layout showing what I've brought for the trip.
I've only got the two SD cards and my hero5 session doesnt have extra batteries.
I'm hoping that two powerbanks totaling to 11000mah will work to keep everything powered but I'm concerned about running out of memory.
I was thinking about bringing a netbook with me as a means to transfer footage from my camera to my external HD.
Thoughts?

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I do quite a bit of motocamping but haven't actually made a vlog out of the actual camping part as I usually go visit interesting sites along the way, one of my playlists on my Youtube Channel is Laconia 2017 I camp the whole weekend but stick to showing different aspects of the rally.

Having juice for the gadgets though is a hurtle but with external power banks and a little gadget called a Zootfresh SAE to USB Adapter you can have all the power you need and more. The Zootfresh plugs right into the pigtail on your battery tender cable, typically Sporty's come with one these days. Here is a link to the Zootfresh and the guys that run the company are top notch.

ZOOTFRESH Adapter

As for memeory, I would recommend getting more memory cards. I personally wouldn't bring a netbook or a computer with me as weather and theft are my two biggest worries. I keep cameras and stuff in my jacket pockets whenever I'm not with my bike. The best advice I ever got about distance riding was if you fear it getting stolen and it doesn't fint in your pocket, don't bring it. I swap wet for stolen as well.

And there are tons of videos about what to bring on a motocamping trip and you would be surprised how much you don't need and even more surprised how much you can actually pack on a Sporty. Here's a shot of my girl Michelle loaded up for a trip last summer:

19144106_10154431177361400_5982530816244108493_o.jpg

I have a Burly Short Sissy bar on the back that I made an extention for out of dowels so I could cary that duffle back with everything in in including my sleeping bag and tent. I actually road cross country with a similar setup, minus that duffle bag, and it workd out great.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I do quite a bit of motocamping but haven't actually made a vlog out of the actual camping part as I usually go visit interesting sites along the way, one of my playlists on my Youtube Channel is Laconia 2017 I camp the whole weekend but stick to showing different aspects of the rally.

Having juice for the gadgets though is a hurtle but with external power banks and a little gadget called a Zootfresh SAE to USB Adapter you can have all the power you need and more. The Zootfresh plugs right into the pigtail on your battery tender cable, typically Sporty's come with one these days. Here is a link to the Zootfresh and the guys that run the company are top notch.

ZOOTFRESH Adapter

Thanks man, I actually was planning on picking up the battery tender brand version of that. One thing that concerned me was that it could possibly drain my battery over time.
I'll check our your playlist, I've been scouring youtube for ideas. I have a tendency of overpacking so I'm trying to keep it as minimal as possible while also not being miserable.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Thanks man, I actually was planning on picking up the battery tender brand version of that. One thing that concerned me was that it could possibly drain my battery over time.
I'll check our your playlist, I've been scouring youtube for ideas. I have a tendency of overpacking so I'm trying to keep it as minimal as possible while also not being miserable.

I don't reccomend the Battery Tender version. I have heard terrible things about theirs, and I hate their trickle charges as they don't last. I have left my camera plugged in for a few hours to the Zootfresh because I forgot to check to check on the progress, and the bike started up just fine. And on the plus side, you can charge while you ride. So if you have a small swing arm bag like I run, I just have the camera in there plugged in or I run the iphone lightning cable up into my jacket from the SAE/USB converter while riding so I don't have to worry about charging the phone later when I'm hunkered down.

Reactions: HeyItsRick

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I don't reccomend the Battery Tender version. I have heard terrible things about theirs, and I hate their trickle charges as they don't last. I have left my camera plugged in for a few hours to the Zootfresh because I forgot to check to check on the progress, and the bike started up just fine. And on the plus side, you can charge while you ride. So if you have a small swing arm bag like I run, I just have the camera in there plugged in or I run the iphone lightning cable up into my jacket from the SAE/USB converter while riding so I don't have to worry about charging the phone later when I'm hunkered down.
Good looking out, I did have a trickle charger from them fail but never heard anything bad from their USB adapters. Looks like all but the leather and chrome adapter from zootfresh is sold out. I'll wait on that for now and look around.
In the past I wanted to run an adapter to my forkbag and plug my devices from there but I'm also running a really small bag on my swingarm that could work too, that or the saddlebags.

Reactions: LoneWolfer

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Well the trip went well. Learned alot in a little bit of time...some of the highlights.
- There's less time for filming when you're enjoying the great outdoors
- I didn't need nearly as much gear as I brought
- Leave room on the bike for firewood if buying locally
- Make sure mic is plugged in all the way

I came home with 20% memory left on the gopro and 50% on my b-camera. My external batteries ran out just as I got home and 90% of the riding was recording with no audio because I didnt check the cable.
Still had a good time and can't wait for the next one.
The brightside to having no audio is that I don't have to indecisive about cutting out sections. Should have a video up on it by then end of the week...I'm behind on everything.
Couldnt get the link to work so here's a few pics from the trip.

IeuHOOI.jpg

NSMtL1u.jpg

9uYAB5t.jpg

CTUNQVa.jpg

TSR

TheSurreyRider
May 3, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson Nightster
Well the trip went well. Learned alot in a little bit of time...some of the highlights.
- There's less time for filming when you're enjoying the great outdoors
- I didn't need nearly as much gear as I brought
- Leave room on the bike for firewood if buying locally
- Make sure mic is plugged in all the way

I came home with 20% memory left on the gopro and 50% on my b-camera. My external batteries ran out just as I got home and 90% of the riding was recording with no audio because I didnt check the cable.
Still had a good time and can't wait for the next one.
The brightside to having no audio is that I don't have to indecisive about cutting out sections. Should have a video up on it by then end of the week...I'm behind on everything.
Couldnt get the link to work so here's a few pics from the trip.

View attachment 3252

View attachment 3253

View attachment 3254

View attachment 3255
I'd love to do something like this one day, I'll have to keep dreaming for now

Reactions: themagpie

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO