Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I didn't realise the wind reduction did anything when running an external mic, learn something new every day. Although in this example, once you sped up you got a few pops again, but overall this was much much better, almost eliminated. So am guessing the wind noise reduction does do something. I have mine turned off as, like I say, I didn't think it did anything with an external mic. Well done on sorting it mate! :)

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I didn't realise the wind reduction did anything when running an external mic, learn something new every day. Although in this example, once you sped up you got a few pops again, but overall this was much much better, almost eliminated. So am guessing the wind noise reduction does do something. I have mine turned off as, like I say, I didn't think it did anything with an external mic. Well done on sorting it mate! :)

You may be right but here is with wind reduction on:

Which had less?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Doesn't seem to make much difference, this one did have a few more than the first, but not a lot. Both have a load less than your recent videos though.
I still think it is a connection issue, either on the USB-C, the 3.5mm jack or maybe the internal wires of the mic adaptor.

• Sad

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Doesn't seem to make much difference, this one did have a few more than the first, but not a lot. Both have a load less than your recent videos though.
I still think it is a connection issue, either on the USB-C, the 3.5mm jack or maybe the internal wires of the mic adaptor.
I swapped out the mics and the brick. That leaves the camera but it was swapped out since I started filming with the 8 back a few videos ago.

I am wondering if the issue is the way the cameras adjust the gain on their own. The 4 was not as "smart" so once it started recording that was the gain throughout the footage but the 8 seems to adjust a bit along the way. For example, in some videos when I was off the bike the sucker was adjusting gain so you could hear my breathing like a perv and maybe some of my internal thoughts.

So let's say the camera adjusts the gain and then you get a gust. When it was set to auto, it seemed to get more poppy.
But then the camera readjusts again and the pop stops until it drops gain again.
Here is a ride where it was set on Auto and having cross winds. Then the semi-truck:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
well if it isn't the brick or mic, then it has to be the camera. Send it back to where it came and get GoPro to fix it! :)

• Haha

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
well if it isn't the brick or mic, then it has to be the camera. Send it back to where it came and get GoPro to fix it! :)

Yeah, I am going to reach out to their tech crew tomorrow and see what is up. Other than hacking the device there is not much left I can figure out.

Plus I heard some 9's have the same issue.
SmartSelect_20201021-181318_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
So I spent some time online with tech support at GoPro. Near the end of the session the Rep needed me to go get some fresh footage similuating the conditions after yet another factory reset.

They twisted my arm to twist the throttle and here is the result...

The saga continues... :cool:

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
So I spent some time online with tech support at GoPro. Near the end of the session the Rep needed me to go get some fresh footage similuating the conditions after yet another factory reset.

They twisted my arm to twist the throttle and here is the result...

The saga continues... :cool:

Did they want the test footage to be mostly of the bike? Seems to me that most of the poppoing in the video you shared first it was a combination of speaking, the motorcycle and speed.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Did they want the test footage to be mostly of the bike? Seems to me that most of the poppoing in the video you shared first it was a combination of speaking, the motorcycle and speed.

It mostly pops after a relatively quiet part. I think the camera adjusts the gain a lot throughout the process and then when there is a sudden increase in sound, the pop appears. I noticed the sound signature in my editing software will show somewhat calm level but the actual sound is all loud. Then other times the signature is calm for actual quiet footage and when the loud comes in quickly - there are spikes where the pops occur.

All clear wizardry...

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
It mostly pops after a relatively quiet part. I think the camera adjusts the gain a lot throughout the process and then when there is a sudden increase in sound, the pop appears. I noticed the sound signature in my editing software will show somewhat calm level but the actual sound is all loud. Then other times the signature is calm for actual quiet footage and when the loud comes in quickly - there are spikes where the pops occur.

All clear wizardry...

Clearly magical mumbo jumbo.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts