Loss of confidence on bike

Mick shere

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2021
I ride a
KTM1290GT
I've riding for over 50 years, my time on the bike has decreased a lot over the last two years.
I seem to have lost my confidence mainly with low speed manoeuvering.
Im fit enough, walk abot 6 miles a day to work and back quite often with heavy rucksack.

Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated, Im not ready to start using the car and am missing my trips to Europe.
Bike is (2nd) KTM 1290GT

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've riding for over 50 years, my time on the bike has decreased a lot over the last two years.
I seem to have lost my confidence mainly with low speed manoeuvring.
I'm fit enough, walk about 6 miles a day to work and back quite often with heavy rucksack.

Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated, I'm not ready to start using the car and am missing my trips to Europe.
Bike is (2nd) KTM 1290GT
Maybe spend an hour a week in a carpark practicing slow speed manoeuvres with the bike, put some cones out in a figure of eight, or use the parking space lines etc?

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I second the training idea.
Bikes are very much a seasonal thing, where I live. Every spring I must relearn to ride. Slow speed maneuvers want special attention. The less you ride, the more practice you need, that is the reality. Just simple figure eight and U-turn practicing can do a lot for you. I would not skip straight line slow riding either.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Both @HippoDrone and @Theodor make great points. I will add you can also use a bicycle to practice slow maneuvering. A bicycle is lot easier to lift or fix if dropped.

I like using a bicycle and going as slow as stopping without needing to put a foot down. The turning the head before starting the turns works the same. Pretty much all slow speed moves can be done on a bicycle except the start off from full lock. That one gets a little hard for me as I pump one pedal the bars tend to turn towards that leg for a split second.

Did something spook you on riding? If so what was it?

I got spooked after each of my crashes. It was unnerving for a while each time.

Mick shere

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2021
I ride a
KTM1290GT
Both @HippoDrone and @Theodor make great points. I will add you can also use a bicycle to practice slow maneuvering. A bicycle is lot easier to lift or fix if dropped.

I like using a bicycle and going as slow as stopping without needing to put a foot down. The turning the head before starting the turns works the same. Pretty much all slow speed moves can be done on a bicycle except the start off from full lock. That one gets a little hard for me as I pump one pedal the bars tend to turn towards that leg for a split second.

Did something spook you on riding? If so what was it?

I got spooked after each of my crashes. It was unnerving for a while each time.
Great idea, its an approach I never considered

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts