Leathers Or Textiles On A Cold Day

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Last summer I bought a 2pc leathers set for a bargain price, but not yet worn them.

It's a bit, er, fresh out there these days, which will be warmer? My thick goretex textiles with jeans and tshirt under, or leathers with long leg and sleeve undergarments?

Really should get some use from these leathers, a bargain is only a bargain if you make use!

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Yeah... I'll give that careful consideration lol

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
for what its worth everyone I grew up snowmobiling with wore leathers in the dead of winter and swore by them. Granted they are insulated and specially made for snowmobiling but there is no doubt its a nice material...

I stick with textile though, I think I've had the same coat for 15 years :eek:

Reactions: Lurch

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Tried it today. There was ice on the road in places!!

I had a zipped 2pc with Oxford unders and a thin fleece sweater, and could feel the cold, but wasn't cold.

Cheers all!

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Outer material makes 0 difference. It's all in the linings and inner layers that keep the warmth in.
Exactly. I generally avoid leathers like the plague because there is no winter in my country and the temperature never drops below 30 degrees Celsius. I'd normally go with no jacket, just gloves, or if i'm at a track i'd just wear riding armor held together by a mesh suit from head to toe, with jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt underneath. If i'm in a cold country with a rental bike, i'd just throw on a warm jacket over the armor i'm already wearing.

Leathers are pretty good at preventing abrasion, but if you're not worried about spending money after every fall replacing your clothes, it's not a 100% necessity to me.

Pigs

Wannabie Member
Dec 4, 2015
Portland, OR
I ride a
zx6r
Gone below freezing with my summer textile jacket. As long as I have the wind breaker layer on, Im golden, because once you've cut out the wind, its all about layering up. Also, it rains almost everyday here throughout the winter, and its much easier to wash textile than it is leather.

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
I rode my bike all winter. Some days it was -5 C, with the windchill it was probably close to -10 C. I wore a leather jacket and textile riding pants with winter liners. Both worked great, but I think the important thing is to have the proper layers. Under, inner, and outer. The outer can be leather or textile so long as it cuts the wind. The Under layer should be something that is not cotton to wick away any sweat. Heat-tech or something similar. For the inner layer it can be jeans, and on top I wore a thick fleece jacket. For proper insulation you need something to trap air. If the layers are too tight, there won't be enough heat trapped. I could have worn more layers, but that would have been counter productive. The right layers and being windproof is the key I've found.
I've only been on my motorcycle for a year, but I've done my years on a scooter before that so this is what I've found from experience and also doing some research.

CanuckMVs

CanuckMotovlogs (Gear, Rides & Reviews!!!!!!)
Mar 30, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
Honda VT750 Shadow Spirit (custom)
I am a new channel on YouTube and it just so happens that i have a video about gear choices, and i do touch upon textile and leather as well as reasons for choosing either material! if you would like to see the video then i will link to it, otherwise here is my $0.02...

I own both textile and leather and I personally prefer leather for colder weather and textile for hot days, my jackets all have removable liners. i feel that the leather doesn't let air flow through to cool you down as much as the textile.

My youtube Channel is CanuckMotovlogs for those who wish to see the video as it will not allow me to post links

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Cheers! When you've a few more posts, put the vlog in the video section so everyone can benefit from it :)

CanuckMVs

CanuckMotovlogs (Gear, Rides & Reviews!!!!!!)
Mar 30, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
Honda VT750 Shadow Spirit (custom)
Cheers! When you've a few more posts, put the vlog in the video section so everyone can benefit from it :)
Thank you for the reply, and it is more of a gear overview/review/recomendation video with the items i have considerable experience with:)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Cool, we'll move videos over to sections for you if they're best suited there.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts