Status
Not open for further replies.

crackthepipe999

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
Kettering
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600s
Hi guys. So thismorning I rode my bike to college, with my mate, leading up the the large roundabout there's always cues in the morning. I was taking the first exit (an immediate left) so I ,slowly, filterd down the left, between the curb and cars (one of which was a police car). When I get to college, my friend says he didn't follow me because filtering on the left is illegal. Is this true? And can you give me a filtering for dummy's guide? I belive I am as safe as I can make it very slow always wary of cars ect...

Cheers CtP999

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
crackthepipe999 said:
Hi guys. So thismorning I rode my bike to college, with my mate, leading up the the large roundabout there's always cues in the morning. I was taking the first exit (an immediate left) so I ,slowly, filterd down the left, between the curb and cars (one of which was a police car). When I get to college, my friend says he didn't follow me because filtering on the left is illegal. Is this true? And can you give me a filtering for dummy's guide? I belive I am as safe as I can make it very slow always wary of cars ect...

Cheers CtP999

Filtering on the left (between cars and the curb) is illegal.

Imagine you're on a single carriageway. If you're going to overtake, you do it on the right. Doing it on the left is undertaking and is illegal.
Filtering it basically overtaking in a lot of regards.

Hope that helps.

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
Yeah, it's not only illegal, but extremely dangerous. If you don't think many driver check their right mirror when turning right, you be surprised how little check their left when turning left. Why? Because they're not expecting anything to cone from the left, because they're next to the kerb. I die a little bit inside when I see people do that.

withabitofginger

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mansfield Notts, uk
I ride a
Ducati diavel carbon black
I don't think there is anything set in stone, however as friz says... Treat it as an overtake, however there are times where bikes go Inbetween two rows of queuing traffic, so that means they're both overtaking one lane, undertaking an other. So kind of a contradiction.

I don't think I'd go between curb and car, unless its really necessary.

I've also heard that its deemed non sensible to filter at more than 15-20mph above the cars you are filtering past, I think it fairs better for you if you stick to that incase of an accident. Any more could be seen as you doing the manoeuvre quite dangerously.

Again I can't point you to any laws in particular, so I'm going on word of mouth.

oli333

Wannabie Member
Jul 20, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
2007 CBR600RR
It's not actually illegal. I've looked into this before. There is no specific law prohibiting it. However, there is a very fine line between undertaking somebody dangerously at speed and filtering safely on the left in slow moving traffic.
I wouldn't recommend it, unless absolutely necessary. And sometimes it is necessary, especially in London.

Oli

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
It definitely ISN'T illegal.

Filtering is filtering. It means you slide through any gaps available to safely make progress. If it was illegal, don't you think the Police would have said something?

That said, Birmingham City centre Police may well see it differently from your local village bobby...

I do it a lot on my commute into the city centre, but there's rarely a reason to do it back out in the sticks.

On a personal level, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless traffic is pretty much stationary. If the worst did happen then you'd probably be looking at a 50/50 claim in most circumstances, from an insurance point of view.

crackthepipe999

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
Kettering
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600s
Thanks for all your replies guys! The trafic wasn't moving at all it was standstill. Nearer the roundabaout there was a few cars rolling, but I was going very slowly (the speed of a light jog). But needless to at I won't be doing that again!
I appreciate your feedback tho!

Grandsatsuma

Wannabie Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hertfordshire
I ride a
Pulse Adrenaline 125
I don't care what the law says, until I get a ticket I am still going to do it when it is safe to do so...

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Whether filtering on the left is legal or not should not be the point, the point should be whether it is safe to or not and most of the time filtering on the left is definitely NOT SAFE.

It's legal to jump off a cliff, but we don't. A society where the attitude is "someone hasn't told me not to, so I will" is not one I want to live in.

withabitofginger

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mansfield Notts, uk
I ride a
Ducati diavel carbon black
Thanks for the other comments here. it has kind of clarified further for me too... like I say it was only word of mouth for me and the highway code only mentions filtering here:

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable. Give them plenty of room, especially if you are driving a long vehicle or towing a trailer

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

source: http://www.gov.uk the highway code.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
Grandsatsuma said:
I don't care what the law says, until I get a ticket I am still going to do it when it is safe to do so...

PLEASE tell me this isn't your attitude towards all aspects of riding your bike?
It'd be bad enough if it was just this one thing.

crackthepipe999

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
Kettering
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600s
Thanks everyone,
Withabitofginger: thanks for the post, very helpful!

So it seems that due to the Highway Code filtering on the left is okay, unless its a public vehicle at a stop.

I won't be filtering flowing traffic on the left, unless it seems safe... Well I won't filter at all unless it seems safe.

I would say it was safe for me to filter on left thismorning due to the. Fact the staffing was standstill and I joined the cue at the front and not just pull out.

Rhydian

Wannabie Member
Aug 16, 2012
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit S 600
Personally coming up to a junction or a roundabout I would avoid filtering traffic nearest the kerb. They do often take a lot of the room up when turning and will not check who is on their left.

However if you can get in front I don't see a problem, you've got the acceleration of being on 2 wheels to play with.

Grandsatsuma

Wannabie Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hertfordshire
I ride a
Pulse Adrenaline 125
Friz said:
Grandsatsuma said:

PLEASE tell me this isn't your attitude towards all aspects of riding your bike?

Only this, All the other time I am very careful :] If I am sat in stationary traffic and there is a gap big enough for two of me I will go through, if the traffic is crawling I will never go to the left because if the reasons stated here. But if I get a ticket for safely (in my eyes) filtering to the left I will have learned my lesson and will stop, I usually take the law very seriously. Even if most of it is utter tripe :p

MedicDan

Wannabie Member
Apr 16, 2012
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
www.bikething.co.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 600 K6
Grandsatsuma said:
Friz said:
Grandsatsuma said:

Only this, All the other time I am very careful :] If I am sat in stationary traffic and there is a gap big enough for two of me I will go through, if the traffic is crawling I will never go to the left because if the reasons stated here. But if I get a ticket for safely (in my eyes) filtering to the left I will have learned my lesson and will stop, I usually take the law very seriously. Even if most of it is utter tripe :p

Is it just me who does the following or am I being a vain tnuc? If I'm not in a hurry and its a nice day, I don't mind sitting and waiting my turn in traffic - it gives the cagers something to look at as they wait.

:lol: :lol:

Grandsatsuma

Wannabie Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hertfordshire
I ride a
Pulse Adrenaline 125
MedicDan said:
Is it just me who does the following or am I being a vain tnuc? If I'm not in a hurry and its a nice day, I don't mind sitting and waiting my turn in traffic - it gives the cagers something to look at as they wait.

:lol: :lol:

I do this, so long as the sun is not beating down on me, if its really sunny I must keep moving or I slowly start roasting alive. As I am sure you all know xD

LeedsRider93

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
Leeds, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Yamaha FZS600S, 2009 Daelim Roadwin Fi
I don't think I've ever filtered on the left, just for safety reasons. But as has already been mentioned, undertaking is not illegal, and there are certain circumstances where filtering to the left is safe. Not that I've ever deemed it safe myself, but I imagine it happens from time ;-)

Sent from my LG Optimus 4X using Tapatalk 2

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
LeedsRider93 said:
But as has already been mentioned, undertaking is not illegal

Undertaking in most conditions is illegal, but (apart from in terms of filtering) hasn't been discussed in this thread so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertaking_%28driving%29

United Kingdom - The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.

This section,

On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving.

quoted from the above paragraph, could be used to discuss filtering on the left.

However - this part is actually referring to slow moving traffic as in a que on a dual carriageway or motorway where you're in a car and can't help but undertake someone in the car to the lane next to you (at ridiculously slow speeds) because you're lane is moving faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts