Last big ride before winter did not go as planned...

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
So, my year has sucked. One thing after another. A few of us decided to meet up yesterday to do one last big cruise in the fall colors before winter in Wisconsin kicks in.

All 4 of us are over 40, CDL holders (3 work for the same company even), and very extremely experienced riders. But even with that, one of us went down. Unfortunately, it is the only one of us who moved into the full big cruiser lifestyle, and in doing so quit wearing full gear and a helmet. 900lb Victory, caught something in the eye going into a sweeper at highway speeds, and literally drove off the side because he couldn't see. Got air lifted after basically taking the bike to the face. Hes going to live, thankfully, but has a pretty good head injury. That leatehr vest nearly choked him to death too.

Please guys, I know it feels nice to have the wind in your hair, but the gear would have made a huge difference in his injuries. This hobby can be dangerous enough, even when we aren't cranking on the throttle. Gear has saved my life many times.
243587273_290196089606267_3710513089087821097_n.jpg

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
So, my year has sucked. One thing after another. A few of us decided to meet up yesterday to do one last big cruise in the fall colors before winter in Wisconsin kicks in.

All 4 of us are over 40, CDL holders (3 work for the same company even), and very extremely experienced riders. But even with that, one of us went down. Unfortunately, it is the only one of us who moved into the full big cruiser lifestyle, and in doing so quit wearing full gear and a helmet. 900lb Victory, caught something in the eye going into a sweeper at highway speeds, and literally drove off the side because he couldn't see. Got air lifted after basically taking the bike to the face. Hes going to live, thankfully, but has a pretty good head injury. That leatehr vest nearly choked him to death too.

Please guys, I know it feels nice to have the wind in your hair, but the gear would have made a huge difference in his injuries. This hobby can be dangerous enough, even when we aren't cranking on the throttle. Gear has saved my life many times. View attachment 6003
Hope you are okay and the bike can be repaired. Stay safe and thank you for the reminder to gear up.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Hope you are okay and the bike can be repaired. Stay safe and thank you for the reminder to gear up.
I'm alright. The guy who went down is doing better today. He just called me and he's in good spirits. Bike is a total loss. Frame snapped in 2 at the headstock, and the rest of it isn't much better. He's fully covered and it's been paid off for a while, so insurance will take care of getting him a new ride. That goober is already trying to surf Cycle Trader. lol! I've known this dude since we were kids, and we've done unspeakable things to dirt bikes through the woods. He's a tank of a dude. Sounds like he's going to be in the hospital one more day so they can keep an eye on the swelling in his brain, and watch for potential bleeding. But if all goes well, he should be going home tomorrow.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
This day and age you can get proper gear in pretty much any style. Still everyone needs to make the choice for themselves. Though I have full face helmet, I too often choose to wear only kevlar shirt and vest and not any impact protection. I know the risk and I take the risk knowingly. Nobody can say I was not educated about this at driving school. I will have nobody else to blame, if I end up in a crash.

Reactions: R-Rated and nophix

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Sorry to hear about your friend's crash. Glad he's doing well and is bouncing back. Has this changed his stance on wearing gear?

- Wolf
Absolutely. I talked to him today, hes already surfing cycle trader on his GF's phone. And he said first thing we do is hit up the shops for some proper gear.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Am glad to hear he is in good spirits, wish him a speedy recovery from all of us.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'm glad he's going to be OK and the bike was insured!

I'm not one to lecture on gear, but I DO wear jacket, m/c boots, m/c gloves, and my half helmet on every ride, no matter how short. It was part of the discussion with SWMBO after my last accident [no jacket, tennis shoes].

I would tell your friend that finding the right gear for the weather can make a huge difference. I espouse frequently on the benefits of a mesh jacket with armor in it. It's light, protects you from the sun, and yet you still feel the wind. Good times.

-John

Reactions: nophix

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
So, an update! He's home! Still in a neck brace and has a long road ahead, but he's doing well and in good spirits. Questioning if he should ride again, but he will. He is convinced that this time he'll be buying proper gear first.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I'm glad he's going to be OK and the bike was insured!

I'm not one to lecture on gear, but I DO wear jacket, m/c boots, m/c gloves, and my half helmet on every ride, no matter how short. It was part of the discussion with SWMBO after my last accident [no jacket, tennis shoes].

I would tell your friend that finding the right gear for the weather can make a huge difference. I espouse frequently on the benefits of a mesh jacket with armor in it. It's light, protects you from the sun, and yet you still feel the wind. Good times.

-John
Oh, believe me, I give him the talk all the time. But I think this one woke him up. I'm almost entirely ATGATT. Once in a while I'll wear jeans instead of my moto pants, usually on my work commute. Otherwise, full face helmet, proper jacket and gloves, and dedicated boots.

Reactions: Drakhen99

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
good luck hope you are well. I had a major accident in January totaled my bike, video is on my YouTube page. I got rear ended

• Wow
Reactions: Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts