General Is Riding Motorcycles Therapeutic?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Is riding motorcycles therapeutic? Most motorcycle riders feel it is, yet many mental health professionals don't believe so. In this motovlog I describe why I feel riding is therapy.

Oh and I also visit a condemned PA scenic overlook!

• Love
Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Motorcycling IS therapeutic... even my counselor buddy says so ;)

I covered it briefly in a "mental health day" video I did earlier this year. If only the audio was better on that one ... [may have to re-do it for 2021]

-John

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Riding the curves and being one with the bike - yep, awesome.

Navigating city traffic and a higher proportion than usual of dickheads trying to kill me - not so much.
However even then I still feel better for having ridden rather than taking the train.

I think one of the reasons is that riding a motorcycle, safely, requires focus. And if you are focusing on traffic, maintaining situational awareness etc then your brain doesn't have time to cogitate on whatever dramas may be going on in your life.

Well that's my theory.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Don't forget: While you're riding, you're also BETTER than the cagers, somehow superior to all of them, no matter what fancy-ass ride they may be IN.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Oh man, great minds think alike! I am editing footage from a ride I took about 10 days ago, and I mentioned it twice during my ride!

Man, I miss riding. Stupid salt and ice.

-John

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
i do think riding is therapeutic because as an activity, it has so much self-talk that you deal with your problems. I disagree with the idea that riding makes you feel better when you're upset. i'd rather ride when i'm bothered than do anything else, but the act of riding doesn't change how i feel deep down and even affects how i ride. Sticking your head in a helmet traps you with yourself, so the more you ride, the more conversations you have with yourself too.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
i do think riding is therapeutic because as an activity, it has so much self-talk that you deal with your problems. I disagree with the idea that riding makes you feel better when you're upset. i'd rather ride when i'm bothered than do anything else, but the act of riding doesn't change how i feel deep down and even affects how i ride. Sticking your head in a helmet traps you with yourself, so the more you ride, the more conversations you have with yourself too.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with you there...

If I'm in a really crappy mood, yeah, no riding. I'll just take it out on the cagers around me and risk wrecking, which is no good.

If I have back pain, I ride. If I need a quick pick-me-up, I ride. If I am way over the moon happy, I ride.

The conversations I have with myself are often therapeutic, and I return much more relaxed and clear of head than when I left.

-John

Reactions: Fool Moon

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
As basic as this is, it can be true. A
And quite often it is true.

Some people, when they feel down, ride their cars down the block. We do it with our bikes.
Whether you are talking, listening to music or just being "blanc", more often than not it empties your minds.
It drops the thoughts on the tarmac where they stay, laying down, while you cruise onwards.

Reactions: Drakhen99

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Yes I would definitely say it is.

Between that and the gym I should really be as chilled as a Buddhist monk... Just the rest of life that gets in the way and raises the stress levels.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO