Interesting Stats on My 2 Latest Videos

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Hey all, got some interesting stats from this past week... and thought I'd share and maybe get some insight.

I posted a 9m video on Tuesday wherein I rode to a bridge over a lake, talk about the channel a bit and "Wind Therapy"... and it's got about a 33% AVD and a low CTR (around 3% I think).

The second video [called Calm Before the Storm] - I got out on my bike this week and I really wanted to record, so I just threw some notes on my tank about a couple of topics and rode. I cut it pretty severely, and it ended up with a super fast pace, lots of choppiness, few transitions and overlays and whatnot, and here's where it gets interesting:

The Lake video has 42 views as of now, and the CBTS video has 62 views, a 9% CTR and a 5+m AVD.

I just don't get it... I didn't really cross-post either video to FB groups and whatnot, just my blog site and the associated FB page, and my personal FB page of course. For some reason, these two videos are doing wildly different out in the, uh, wild. Neither has a particularly interesting story, they both talk about channel updates and ask a question of the viewer - although the CBTS video only has the viewer question in an overlay instead of me actually asking it. Weird.

If anyone cares to look, they're the newest 2 videos posted on my channel, and some of you have already watched them, so maybe you know why one is more interesting than the other? Heck, the scenery in the Lake video is better than CBTS, at least to me. I also spent less time editing the CBTS video than the Lake one.

Anywho, maybe someone's had the same experience, but I'm watching this one closely :D

[Mods, if you want me to create a thread in the Member Vlogs section with the 2 videos in it, let me know - again, I don't want to break any rules so I didn't post them in here]

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I imagine if tags and description had nothing to do with it, then the thumbnail and title did. We are now close on a 1/4 way into 2021 so folk see a last ride of 2020, they may think it is old and out of date. Also the thumbnail looks to not fit the window, maybe makes people think the edit may not be so well made?
It could also be totally unrelated....
My latest video has absolutely tanked on views, but 86% of those views are from my subscribers, and has gotten the channel I shouted out around 40+ new subscribers, so I count that as a win.... even if it did lose me a subscriber! :D

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I imagine if tags and description had nothing to do with it, then the thumbnail and title did. We are now close on a 1/4 way into 2021 so folk see a last ride of 2020, they may think it is old and out of date. Also the thumbnail looks to not fit the window, maybe makes people think the edit may not be so well made?
It could also be totally unrelated....
My latest video has absolutely tanked on views, but 86% of those views are from my subscribers, and has gotten the channel I shouted out around 40+ new subscribers, so I count that as a win.... even if it did lose me a subscriber! :D

Yeah, I changed the text on the thumbnail for the Sunset ride - it originally said "Sunset Ride: Little Seneca Lake" ...
I thought that might be what's holding it back. You're right, it looks odd because I have black bars top & bottom.

I plan to tweak some tags/titles/thumbnails tonight on a few videos, so I may take another stab at it.

Thanks for your thoughts on it!

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I posted a 9m video on Tuesday wherein I rode to a bridge over a lake, talk about the channel a bit and "Wind Therapy"... and it's got about a 33% AVD and a low CTR (around 3% I think).

I'm guessing CTR is Click Through Rate, but what does AVD stand for?

I never look at my analytics, I really need to read up on this stuff! :p

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'm guessing CTR is Click Through Rate, but what does AVD stand for?

I never look at my analytics, I really need to read up on this stuff! :p

You're right about CTR... AVD is Average View Duration.

I'm a stats nerd, so I check on this stuff regularly, and adjust title/thumbnail/description to try and increase the stats for a particular video. I re-did about 5 of them last night.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Am I the ONLY one on YT who reads the TITLE of the video? :D

Just kidding... lemme go search YT for "how to make great thumbnails so people watch my stupid videos!"

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have been tweaking thumbnails and titles like a madman this week... ok, I've done like 5 or 6, but I have immediately noticed an increase in traffic for those videos. It's an art, I tell ya, an art!

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I read the titles, look at thumbnails then the duration of video. Tbh if the title and thumbnail have interested me the time is a bit of a mute point

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts