Instagram or Facebook

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I don't want to overdo it as I don't much like social media - but as a means of promoting a YT channel would you say that Instagram or Facebook is the better option?

Who uses one or other of these and how do you engage with audiences - just photos with a few brief words of text, or full on discussions on FB etc?

Reactions: HRMV

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I use both, but personally I find Facebook a more useful tool as I can choose my audience more selectively. Any social media will help... but you get out what you put in. I've seen some vloggers only post when they have a new vid up, which will stop folk following them, so you have to be more than just "watch my video on YouTube"

Reactions: HRMV and Pooley

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I like facebook for the community, but instagram is a better place for posting my pictures from my adventures which I really enjoy :)

Twitter I dont use an awful lot, but that's down to not knowing how to use it all that much lol

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I can never get my videos linked in Instgram (for the "Swipe Up") link. Do you have to meet a certain criteria to be able to do this?

I use Facebook mostly, in the relevant Groups. I personally think you'll get more traffic FROM facebook where as Instagram is its own thing, with gaining followers on that platform.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
The reason I've been avoiding setting up a page or group on facebook is the requirement for more engagement there, whereas if Instagram can drive people to YT (and/or my website) that would be best for me.

Just need to figure out best way to push people from insta to YT. :)

Reactions: Pooley

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
See this is why I like Facebook, it is the interaction that interests me, actually getting to know the people who comment on my content is all part of it. Liking a pic on Instagram is pretty meaningless to me mostly.

Reactions: HRMV

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
I'm on instagram, but haven't promoted my channel there. I haven't even told friends or family about my channel, well my wife knows, but that's it. I'll probably start using my current IG to start promoting the channel, I don't really want to start from scratch there too.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm doing the Voltron (aging myself much?) theory of hitting all the majors at once. FB, Twitter, Insta, and my personal site. They're all linked together, and I share my FB page's stuff on my personal FB page and related FB group pages so I'm not spamming them.

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I still use Instagram, but Facebook less and less.
Partly because some groups are nothing more than spam content.

And partly because i'm doing less Social Media anyways, so the more intensive ones are falling first :O

Sometimes i just can't be arsed... xD (arsed or asked...:rolleyes:)

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I use both. I find insta you get more likes potentially but that can just be folk idly clicking because they see something

The ease of posting a vid on Facebook and they ease of the viewer clicking directly on it should mean more traffic to your vids.

Posting up regularly will assist with folk sticking with you though.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I've been using both Instagram and Facebook, but I've gotten mixed results from them. Instagram seems to get more interaction for me but less traffic to my YT channel, while Facebook seems less interactive yet drives more traffic to my channel.

No matter how much I post, comment, or interact on Facebook it just seems to fall on deaf ears, very little personal interactions, yet I get a lot of people checking out my videos from FB. On Instagram I get many more comments and social interactions, yet that traffic seems limited to Instagram only.

So I keep doing both, because eh why not?

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Most of my traffic seems to come from FB, whether it is my personal blog or my YT channel. My insta doesn't get many views.

Neither Insta, FB, or YT get much interaction, which I think hurts my channel growth on YT.

-John

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I have both, but I don't use it to promote. I just have it so that it's searchable across the platforms and not taken by some random people. For Facebook (page, not your personal account) if you are not paying them (read: Facebook Ads) then it's kind of pointless to be promoting on that platform. They make to hard unless you pay. I should say maybe the same for Instagram since it's owned by FB anyway but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have both, but I don't use it to promote. I just have it so that it's searchable across the platforms and not taken by some random people. For Facebook (page, not your personal account) if you are not paying them (read: Facebook Ads) then it's kind of pointless to be promoting on that platform. They make to hard unless you pay. I should say maybe the same for Instagram since it's owned by FB anyway but I'm not sure.

I will say that joining groups that are applicable to your bike or hobby CAN pay off - because you can post your vids there, and it gets a much more focused group of folks looking at your content.

For instance, I did a "Bagger Showdown" comparison vid of the Kawi Vaquero vs. Harley Street Glide, and it got over 600 pageviews on my site and 450 YT views, just in the first 2 days. That makes it my #1 post and video since I revamped my site and channel.

Whether or not that translates into more subs and views over the long term, maybe not... but it was really fun for a couple of days with the interactions it sparked!

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I will say that joining groups that are applicable to your bike or hobby CAN pay off - because you can post your vids there, and it gets a much more focused group of folks looking at your content.

For instance, I did a "Bagger Showdown" comparison vid of the Kawi Vaquero vs. Harley Street Glide, and it got over 600 pageviews on my site and 450 YT views, just in the first 2 days. That makes it my #1 post and video since I revamped my site and channel.

Whether or not that translates into more subs and views over the long term, maybe not... but it was really fun for a couple of days with the interactions it sparked!

-John
At our levels, yes it will help as we need to work to get our exposure. @SighBored is closing in on 1/4 million subscribers now, so it probably isn't worth the effort for him of sharing content on the Facebook groups etc :)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
At our levels, yes it will help as we need to work to get our exposure. @SighBored is closing in on 1/4 million subscribers now, so it probably isn't worth the effort for him of sharing content on the Facebook groups etc :)

Yeah, oops. Didn't see that. Checked out his channel - looks really nice! I subbed and will check out some of his videos later :D

-John

Reactions: SighBored

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
No Hippo, I have never shared not because of my numbers or worth the effort, I just suck at self promotion period. o_O

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts