Insta360 X4 + DJI Mic 2 or Rode Wireless Pro?

RideRR

Wannabie Member
Hello,

The Insta360 X4 is arriving in a few days, and I've been researching a good wireless microphone. I've seen that the DJI Mic 2 works very well, using the receiver connected to the X4, and perhaps even placing a DJI lavalier microphone inside the helmet, connected to the DJI transmitter (do you think the lavalier is necessary?).

I've also looked into the option of the Rode Wireless Pro, but I assume the DJI Mic 2 is sufficient, right?

For the sound of the engine, I'll carry a Zoom H1n recorder in my backpack and then edit everything at home with my computer.

For now, that's my plan. In the future, I'd like to get the Insta360 Ace Pro to mount it on my helmet.

Cheers!

I'd imagine the DJI wireless mic would be too chunky to fit in a helmet chin piece, and also might be too sensitive in that use too, a lav mic may help there. I've used the old RODE Wireless Go mic, and found it all too much of a pain linking everything up and ensuring all the various bits were charged up... and if I wanted to do a multi day trip camping with no power, all those extra batteries are a pest to keep topped up.

I know people have put the DJI mic in their helmets. There is the benefit of backup audio track, that is stored in the DJI mic too. That's about the extent of my knowledge about them though. No personal experience.

Hi, thanks for the answers. Yeah, actually, many big content creators use the DJI Mic 2 with Insta360 X3/X4 a lot.

Once I have it, I'll need to figure out how to place it inside my helmet, but for now, I guess I won't use the lavalier. I want to check the audio first and then decide.

Cheers!

I use a Purple Panda Lavalier mic. This is usually connected to a Tascam recorder in my pocket, but in Summer my mesh jacket doesn't have room for it, so I clip on a DJI transmitter and just use it as a standalone recorder. I don't plug any audio into my One X2s, and as has been mentioned, keeping all the batteries charged is a pain, and it adds to the editing work. The lovely thing about the DJI is the carry-case is also a recharging power pack. Battery life on both the DJI and the Tascam (with rechargable AAs) is immense. All-day recording, no trouble.

I run the lavalier cable behind the cheek pads and use a small velcro-type cable-tidy to hold the mic itself to the cheek pad's fabric. I have a modular helmet, so this keeps the mic near my mouth when it's open. (The helmet, not my mouth). I use the mic's dead-cat to limit wind noise. Sometimes it tickles.

I recommend setting the recording gain right down. (I believe both my DJI and Tascam levels are at -12db). Quiet but clean audio can always be boosted. Loud but clipped audio cannot be rescued in post.

Whichever mic you use, if it's not near your mouth I wouldn't expect any voice audio to be usable.

Also, I bought the Studio version of Resolve. The voice isolation is IN-SANE.

Good luck with it all!

Hi, thanks for your tips! Nice setup!

Yeah, I'll try first with the DJI Mic 2 inside my full-face helmet with the dead cat and see how it works. First, I'll test it with just Bluetooth, and then with the receiver connected to the Insta360 X4. I hope I can test all of that this weekend.

Cheers!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back