I am not sure how to feel about this...

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Some of you may know I have a crush on these two wheeled distant cousins of our bikes. I see them as a way to get more future riders.

But this? This I am not sure what to think? Top speed of a rental is around 18mph. So ...

• Sad
Reactions: WheelyPerd

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I've only read bad things about these e-scooters, their too slow for roads and too fast for sidewalks. I also think because their rentals, people dont give care about them at all.

Anyone know what the app or service or whatever costs to rent one?

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Well at least they did at midnight

And it was in the Arts District. So maybe it was performance art?
I've only read bad things about these e-scooters, their too slow for roads and too fast for sidewalks. I also think because their rentals, people dont give care about them at all.

Anyone know what the app or service or whatever costs to rent one?

There are several companies that rent them. Most are $1 USD to unlock and anywhere from .15 to .35 per minute to ride.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I admit, they are fun to ride around especially in downtown area since many stores and restaurants are spread out and parking is so limited. As far as this, this is far out crazy. Not meant to ride in the middle of the street.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think they are mostly illegal in the UK as they are not road registered

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I don't want scooters on sidewalks either it is a sideWALK.

Problem is not the scooter it is the idiots on the scooter, at midnight anyone trying to sleep nearby had to hear the sirens. Not supposed to have bikes on sidewalks either and we do but there are not enough police to enforce this stuff and frankly they usually have bigger problems.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Ah I finally get all the huff about this, cant use them on sidewalks, cant technically use them on the road.
Here in the US scooters can be operated on the road like Bicycles. Anything (even a bicycle with a assist motor) over a certain cc or mph are supposed to have a drivers permit (not motorcycle specific). Not quite sure but at some juncture even the scooters require a motorcycle specific license/permit at a cc or mph limit. Skateboards, Segway, hover board etc. are all supposed to be off limits to sidewalks but enforcement is an issue.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Ah I finally get all the huff about this, cant use them on sidewalks, cant technically use them on the road.

Basically a mode of transportation that noone really knows how it fits into society.

My wife said it reminds her of the history of the first motorcars. No real regulation and most people don't know how to work with them.
Here in the US scooters can be operated on the road like Bicycles. Anything (even a bicycle with a assist motor) over a certain cc or mph are supposed to have a drivers permit (not motorcycle specific). Not quite sure but at some juncture even the scooters require a motorcycle specific license/permit at a cc or mph limit. Skateboards, Segway, hover board etc. are all supposed to be off limits to sidewalks but enforcement is an issue.

In Tennessee, these little buggers are exempt from licensing because they are excluded from motor vehicle definition -

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding electric scooters, motorized bicycles, and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires.

But this incident was in California and they define motor vehicle like this-

(a) A “motor vehicle” is a vehicle that is self-propelled.

(b) “Motor vehicle” does not include a self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized quadricycle, if operated by a person who, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian.

So it makes sense why the companies I use (Bird and Lime) require a driver's license to rent one. They were both started in California

Still, over 200 at $1 unlock plus about .26 per minute in L.A. is a good chunk of money for a protest or whatever this was.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts