How Do Some Youtubers Use Top 50 Billboard Songs?

TheMotorGamer

TheMotorGamer
Aug 26, 2014
Ede, Netherlands
I ride a
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (30th anniversary edition)
I'm very curious how some youtubers use very known songs for example do it with dan's intro sogn, since I also want to use some music that I can't put on my videos because otherwise it would get flagged....

Anyone knows?

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
I'm very curious how some youtubers use very known songs for example do it with dan's intro sogn, since I also want to use some music that I can't put on my videos because otherwise it would get flagged....

Anyone knows?

I was a bit curious about that myself. I know you can buy a license from the song's publisher. It's called a synchronization license. They may also have some kind of deal with YouTube where you can use their song, but they will be allowed to advertise on that video's page. Could be they haven't been caught yet. lol I know some people who upload movies will speed it up or mess with the audio to prevent it from being found by YouTube's bots. Never tried any of it myself, though, because I use my own stuff.

Reactions: TheMotorGamer

TheMotorGamer

TheMotorGamer
Aug 26, 2014
Ede, Netherlands
I ride a
I was a bit curious about that myself. I know you can buy a license from the song's publisher. It's called a synchronization license. They may also have some kind of deal with YouTube where you can use their song, but they will be allowed to advertise on that video's page. Could be they haven't been caught yet. lol I know some people who upload movies will speed it up or mess with the audio to prevent it from being found by YouTube's bots. Never tried any of it myself, though, because I use my own stuff.

I once messed up the audio of a video and it didn't really work.. video got blocked in 24hours :/

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
1. Have permission to use the song.
2. No permission, copyright claim made by owner, video still allowed but not monetized.
3. No permission, not (yet) detected by YT.
4. Magic. (Just kidding)

Motojon

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson XL1200R
Could it be that do it with Dan uses an edited version of the song and not the original that includes vocals? Or maybe it's a rendition of the song that only is "similar" to the original?

Fobs

Wannabie Member
Jul 29, 2015
Washington
I ride a
2005 CBR 600RR
for the most part i believe that it has to do with them not getting caught yet.. i know that youtube has a audio recognition software that automatically lets them know when a specific song is being played based on the wave patterns that the song makes... However, if you're doing motovlogs and your muffler is loud then most of the time that software won't pick it up. I'm guessing what happens is that they edit the audio so that you can also hear there voice / muffler over the song but to a point where humans can recognize it.... kind of like how copyright goes on, on youtube... they just change the pitch of the audio.. thats wy theres so many copies of the same thing.

hungabustavlogs

Wannabie Member
Aug 25, 2014
Standing creepily behind you...
I ride a
CRF 150 R Expert

CRF 450 X
Youtube's audio detection is unbelievably powerful. Don't think for a minute that they haven't detected the songs, even if they've been slowed down or sped up, pitch changed, or even just using a small clip of the song.

Most songs are able to be used on Youtube as long as you don't monetize the video, you can check out the searchable database here.

It's possible that they have purchased licenses for the music, although it would seem to me that it would be a massive pain in the ass to do and would probably offset any earnings from the video anyway so my guess is that they simply don't monetize the video and all is fine and dandy :)

TheMotorGamer

TheMotorGamer
Aug 26, 2014
Ede, Netherlands
I ride a
Youtube's audio detection is unbelievably powerful. Don't think for a minute that they haven't detected the songs, even if they've been slowed down or sped up, pitch changed, or even just using a small clip of the song.

Most songs are able to be used on Youtube as long as you don't monetize the video, you can check out the searchable database here.

It's possible that they have purchased licenses for the music, although it would seem to me that it would be a massive pain in the ass to do and would probably offset any earnings from the video anyway so my guess is that they simply don't monetize the video and all is fine and dandy :)
thanks dude! also thanks for the link, haven't seen that yet on youtube haha

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
Does anyone know what the policy is on using snippets of a song? I've been watching a lot of Hunter Honda lately and he uses quite a few popular songs, but only short snippets. I've heard a rumour that anything less than 15 seconds is allowed. Does anybody know for sure?

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Does anyone know what the policy is on using snippets of a song? I've been watching a lot of Hunter Honda lately and he uses quite a few popular songs, but only short snippets. I've heard a rumour that anything less than 15 seconds is allowed. Does anybody know for sure?
Nope, I've been flagged for 3 seconds of a car radio playing.

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
None monetization and the record company having a deal with youtube. IE you use a song that is copyright but do not monetize it, youtube picks it up and passes the monetization over to the songs publishers and they get a cut. If the copyright/publisher does not have a deal with youtube but objects video is taken down and you get flagged.

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
Nope, I've been flagged for 3 seconds of a car radio playing.

Man, that sucks! So how DO they get away with it? There's no way most of them are slipping it past YT's recognition systems. I also can't believe that motovloggers with 100k+ subs are not monetizing the majority of their videos. Or am I missing something?

None monetization and the record company having a deal with youtube. IE you use a song that is copyright but do not monetize it, youtube picks it up and passes the monetization over to the songs publishers and they get a cut. If the copyright/publisher does not have a deal with youtube but objects video is taken down and you get flagged.

How do you know if the publisher has a deal with youtube or not? The songs in the audio library?

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Man, that sucks! So how DO they get away with it? There's no way most of them are slipping it past YT's recognition systems. I also can't believe that motovloggers with 100k+ subs are not monetizing the majority of their videos. Or am I missing something?

How do you know if the publisher has a deal with youtube or not? The songs in the audio library?

No their audio library is something else, as for knowing who I have no idea but it is one of the reasons why some videos can not be viewed in some countries as YouTubes agreement with the record company only covers say USA for example.

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098

Generally five seconds or less. Anything longer and you're risking getting tagged. YouTube has really improved their detection algorithms over the past year or so. I linked a page in another thread about music that showed just how tight they've gotten. Simple changes to pitch, BPM, etc are detected. You'd really have to remix the song to use it, and even then you're better off getting permission from the copyright holder if you plan to monetize. It really pisses me off when I see people using music that isn't their own with NO link or credit to the artist. MajorLeagueWobs/Holder gets his stuff ripped-off all the time with no credit. If he ever gets serious about monetizing his music, a whooooole lotta videos are going to get flagged.

C2W is pretty obviously paying the monthly fee to use Monstercat songs in his videos. He uses one every time he does a test ride video and plays most of the song for the slide/focus intro for the bike.

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
If you go to Ad-Supported music in the Audio Library, they have a list of popular songs which you can use.
You can't monetize and you will probably have to accept a copyright claim. Each song lists if you have to acknowledge the owner or not and also which countries, if any, in which the video will be blocked. Although I used a song a while ago and it received multiple claims, which resulted in it being blocked everywhere instead of just the few countries it listed. Also, the owner can change their mind at a later date, in which case you could potentially receive a channel strike if you didn't take it down or change the music.
I made a video a while ago explaining it all,

biker1968

Mistar Biker
Oct 2, 2014
Kent, United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA 2014 plate
What a ball ache this all sounds...guess you have to ask the question "Do I really need this Music to enhance my video ?"... I just use free stuff that kinda fits with the theme of the video, I want the video and not the popular music to be the main focus...

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts