Helmet Rattle... Help!

thelensman

Vlogger in spirit
Oct 3, 2021
www.thelensmanin.me
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
A helmet I use often is a scorpion ADX1. Has my cardo and go pro mount. Just like the flexibility of a modular helmet.

My issue of late is at speed I'm getting a rattle like it's being blown by the wind. Sounds like plastic hitting plastic in the front area. I already removed the front hood and stuck sticky rubber on two sides to keep the inner sun visor in place.

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
worst helmet I found for rattles was the Bell Bullit, that helmet is loud as hell

Reactions: thelensman

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
My Scorpion helmet visor seal wore out in like 5 years. Rest of the helmet could easily do 1-2 more seasons, but if I don't use force, closing the visor, it will create this annoying whistling sound.

thelensman

Vlogger in spirit
Oct 3, 2021
www.thelensmanin.me
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
My Scorpion helmet visor seal wore out in like 5 years. Rest of the helmet could easily do 1-2 more seasons, but if I don't use force, closing the visor, it will create this annoying whistling sound.
Someone said helmets have a 5-yr lifespan. I don't know if that's marketing or science/ experience talking.

The modular lock on mine has some play already.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have also heard the claim of 5 year life span. In fact it was my driving instructor, who said it. However, if you follow logic, it is a guideline, not a rule.
If wear and tear affects the life span, then how can both helmets you wear daily, and ones you wear once every few weeks, both expire on the same date?
Or maybe you think, the foam just disintegrates over time? How many years was the helmet in various warehouses and store shelves, before you purchased it?

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I have also heard the claim of 5 year life span. In fact it was my driving instructor, who said it. However, if you follow logic, it is a guideline, not a rule.
If wear and tear affects the life span, then how can both helmets you wear daily, and ones you wear once every few weeks, both expire on the same date?
Or maybe you think, the foam just disintegrates over time? How many years was the helmet in various warehouses and store shelves, before you purchased it?
It has to do with the adhesive they use to stick the impact material to the outer shell. The adhesive becomes weak with time. The lifespan is off the manufacturer date.

I had a really cool 1/2 helmet that I kept when I retired it after 5 years. It rested inside and then one day the entire polystyrene mold popped right out of the shell.

If that happened on impact then the outer shell and chinstrap could suddenly rotate quickly causing serious flesh injury to the neck

Reactions: HippoDrone

thelensman

Vlogger in spirit
Oct 3, 2021
www.thelensmanin.me
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
It has to do with the adhesive they use to stick the impact material to the outer shell. The adhesive becomes weak with time. The lifespan is off the manufacturer date.

I had a really cool 1/2 helmet that I kept when I retired it after 5 years. It rested inside and then one day the entire polystyrene mold popped right out of the shell.

If that happened on impact then the outer shell and chinstrap could suddenly rotate quickly causing serious flesh injury to the neck
Very useful info. Anything made of rubber esp coatings get brittle. Foam gets compressed / loose over time.

thelensman

Vlogger in spirit
Oct 3, 2021
www.thelensmanin.me
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
The only reason I can say this from personal experience is my brother has a tom of major branded gear.. .many approaching and beyond 5yrs old.

Helmets don't show much age but leather, rubber linings and even nylon get brittle and break in boots, bags, gloves and riding jackets.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
@R-Rated so what you're saying is, I could actually buy a brand new helmet, that is already unsafe, because it has been in various warehouses for say, 7 years?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
@R-Rated so what you're saying is, I could actually buy a brand new helmet, that is already unsafe, because it has been in various warehouses for say, 7 years?
Yep! Or at least a few years already on the shelf. I have seen it on eBay. The helmet has not sold for a year or more so the seller discounts it. The buyer won't know until they get it and check the manufacturer's date.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts