Helmet dramas

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
Yamaha YBR Custom and a Suzuki SV650 - Toying with a Triumph of some sort, undecided as of yet.
I've recently bought the nexx sx100r abisal helmet, I read that you should go a size up because they come up a little small. So I ordered one size up, when its on it's a perfect fit, but getting the thing on and off almost tears my ears off, anyone know any quick fixes to softening up the padding around the neck? I dont want to go up another size as the helmet wont really be a good fit anymore.. :/

• Wow
Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I've recently bought the nexx sx100r abisal helmet, I read that you should go a size up because they come up a little small. So I ordered one size up, when its on it's a perfect fit, but getting the thing on and off almost tears my ears off, anyone know any quick fixes to softening up the padding around the neck? I dont want to go up another size as the helmet wont really be a good fit anymore.. :/
I know it may be obvious but have you tried pulling out to the sides on the chinstraps when pulling it on? That usually causes the base of the helmet to flex a bit.

Another thing would be to carve the foam right at the ears to make recesses for the ears to regain their shape after sliding in.

Still another is to use something like this to make the sliding on smoother:
shopping

That is the Dianese Dry bavaclava.

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
Yamaha YBR Custom and a Suzuki SV650 - Toying with a Triumph of some sort, undecided as of yet.
I know it may be obvious but have you tried pulling out to the sides on the chinstraps when pulling it on? That usually causes the base of the helmet to flex a bit.

Another thing would be to carve the foam right at the ears to make recesses for the ears to regain their shape after sliding in.

Still another is to use something like this to make the sliding on smoother:
shopping

That is the Dianese Dry bavaclava.
I've resorted to a similar balaclava for the time being until I get a more permanent fix. Tried flexing it as I put it on, doesn't do too much sadly. I think cutting into it may be the only option at this point

Well, a lesson learned at least: try the helmet on before ordering one.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
I've resorted to a similar balaclava for the time being until I get a more permanent fix. Tried flexing it as I put it on, doesn't do too much sadly. I think cutting into it may be the only option at this point

will try the straps + twist next time see if it makes a difference!

If anything, a lesson learned at least: try the helmet on before ordering one.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I have a Nexx helmet too, really comfy... although a different model than yours, I try to pull the right hand strap away from me to the side when removing it else it pulls on my ear which gets sore after a bit of it happening.

Reactions: LimeyRider

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
I have a Nexx helmet too, really comfy... although a different model than yours, I try to pull the right hand strap away from me to the side when removing it else it pulls on my ear which gets sore after a bit of it happening.
Must just be this model, wife had the same model, a size down and has the same issue as me

Reactions: HippoDrone

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
A little late to reply, but the helmet is the wrong shape for your head. If the helmet shell and profile is correct for you, you won't have that problem. A little pull, sure, but nothing pulling out on the straps can't fix. As an example, my Icon is 2 sizes to big for my wife, but she can't get it on past her ears because she has a very round head profile, while mine is more oval.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I second the shell may be the wrong shape for your head.

As far as balaclavas go. Even with the thinnest silk balaclava I’d need to go the next size up, with my one helmet it makes it so painful to get on. Are you guys sizing your helmet for use with balaclava? Or am I just wearing helmets too tight?

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts