Have you ever posted something outside your channel's focus?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Most of us are motorcycle-based vloggers, but have you ever posted something to your channel that's just outside of its focus, completely?

I went golfing with a buddy of mine a couple of months ago and wanted to play around with my GoPro, so I brought it. I attached it to the cart in a few spots, got some ground-level swing shots, general goofiness.

I have been cutting it up and am struggling with whether or not to post it. I think it's a fun video to watch a truly bad golfing have a go at it, but don't want it to cause any issues with my channel, like lost subs.

So, have you ever posted something outside your channel's focus, like way outside?

-John

Reactions: HRMV

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I posted some skydiving vids on mine, but kind of felt it fitted with the channel, and I hope to get back into sailing in the future too, which I'd also put on my channel. I have a second (and third) channel for stuff that is way off topic, although I have not really posted much on them since starting my Hippo-Drones channel.

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Like HD, I have a second channel I put misc videos and such on to share with friends and family. Although, I might get to sail to Svalbard this summer, if I do that, I'll probably put it up, just because it is interesting and adventurous enough I think moto viewers would be interested enough to watch it.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I did one involving a pheasant... Nothing to do with the channels focus. If you find it, drop a comment on it.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
So, it sounds like the consensus is to drop it on a different channel so you don't fudge with The Algorithm and all that, especially as smaller channels. Got it.

I may actually have to just post it as part of my personal YouTube account... even though I mentioned my golf outing and having recorded it, in one of my other videos. But that was at the END of that video, so I'm about 99% sure nobody saw it ;)

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
if it is too long to include\edit in to some riding video, as an addition to that, then I'd think if it really is worth putting up to the channel. Also, if it is something you want to share with quite everyone, or maybe only with your friends? Unlisted is also an option. I post a lot of random stuff unlisted, that I only share with my family or few friends.

Tomr2992

Relaunched the Channel -JustTomTorque
Jun 1, 2019
Derby
I ride a
BMW S1000R
I have found that being a petrol head I love both cars and bikes.. so I do what I like and that is both. In fact, I've done a fun one today. Not sure if I could share it on here though or even do the link however go check it out. I think if you are going what like, it's within the interest of the channel then that is fine. Motorbikes are a tough sell to YouTube, considering only 1% of road users are on bikes!

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have found that being a petrol head I love both cars and bikes.. so I do what I like and that is both. In fact, I've done a fun one today. Not sure if I could share it on here though or even do the link however go check it out. I think if you are going what like, it's within the interest of the channel then that is fine. Motorbikes are a tough sell to YouTube, considering only 1% of road users are on bikes!

Oh, this golfing video has literally nothing to do with motorcycles except I'm wearing a Harley hat in it :)

I'll probably play the rough cut for my buddy tonight who was in the video golfing with me, see if he likes it. It'll probably stop there. I already have videos scheduled from tonight through the 22nd of January LOL.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I don't plan to post anything non-motorcycle related to my channel. I created it as a motovlogging channel and that's where I plan to keep it focused.

I might start a second channel in 2021 to post random videos to, and if I get a drone I might make a drone footage channel just for fun. I wouldn't expect it to ever be successful or anything, it would purely be for my own personal enjoyment! :D

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I showed my golfing vid to my buddy who is in it, and he was laughing the whole time. I think I'll do a bit of color grading, add some BG music, and throw it up on my personal YouTube account just for grins (and so he can re-watch it - I bet he goes to his shots and analyzes them!)

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yes, during lockdown I posted a video on cutting and soldering LED tape. Working in tge lighting industry has advantages - I'm very well lit!

I just subbed your channel (as RoadReality) - and am watching your painting project video now... good stuff!

-John

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Unlisted is an option as suggested above. It really depends if you think your following is following because of their ultimate love of your motorcycle content or just because they like how you present etc.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Unlisted is an option as suggested above. It really depends if you think your following is following because of their ultimate love of your motorcycle content or just because they like how you present etc.

Yeah, I think they're in it for the bikes, not me ... unless they're friends & family, in which case I harangue them until they watch :D

-John

Phil'o's G

Wannabie Member
Jan 1, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha FZR 600
Honda CBR 600
Benelli Tornado 900
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
I just subbed your channel (as RoadReality) - and am watching your painting project video now... good stuff!

-John
Thanks, appreciate it. Crazy project coming up.. Myself and three mates purchase 125cc bikes for £750 or less and ride to Scotland and back. Will be something a little different, and a semi top gear parody.

Phil'o's G

Wannabie Member
Jan 1, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha FZR 600
Honda CBR 600
Benelli Tornado 900
Kawasaki ZZR 1100

-John
Thanks, appreciate it. Crazy project coming up.. Myself and three mates purchase 125cc bikes for £750 or less and ride to Scotland and back. Will be something a little different, and a semi top gear parody

We are doing some challenges along the way, including dyno challenge, and 1/4 mile at Santa pod.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
My channel has no focus. I post whatever I happen to take the time to record, which isnt alot. Looking at analytics I'm mostly an old american car/truck how to channel, then maybe tied for Honda Civic content and Motorcycle/Sena/motovlog stuff. I still rank very high in Sena searches on youtube and google but it's not profitable at all.

My buddies have really tried this motovlog thing but it's very hard to get any views and gain any traction. They are at the point of giving up, one uploads weekly and he's stuck at 500 subs with vids getting only a few views per day.

• Wow
Reactions: Drakhen99

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Anything entirely unrelated to "moto" I'll drop on my normal 'landyvlad' channel.

If I were to do an occasional video about a car or something I might still put that on landyvlad rides as there would probably be some interest overlap.

Reactions: Drakhen99
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tojjer29 General Discussion 6
HippoDrone General Discussion 20

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts