Have you ever got a speeding ticket in the mail?

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I've heard about this happening. Some bored cop records your uploaded youtube video showing your speedo reading an "above speed limit" amount, and sending you a citation in the mail. I don't know how common this happens, but I've seen quite a few motovloggers blur out their speedo for this reason. I have come up with another solution.

My speedo is actually out by around 7 km/h. It reads higher than actual speed. I've tested this. So, I insert the text right into the video "speedometer reads higher than actual speed due to technical issue". Now, rather than going to all the trouble of blurring out the speedo, which for me is a PITA, I just put that in. Let's see them fight that in court!
20201104_154732.jpg

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Different countries have different rules, but this was an interesting interview with a lawyer by 44Teeth regarding cameras in the UK:

Last edited:
Reactions: CGoosemoto

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I mentioned this previously, in Oz we have KMH so I just change the settings to MPH so I look like I'm doing 62 when I'm doing a 100 haha. Not sure which bikes have this option but the T7 does :-D ... plus any cop doing that (watching YouTube and then searching their intel database to locate a riders address) is an absolute fister and needs to leave the station to target inattention rather than being a tit.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
And will get a fine for riding on a vehicle that is not roadworthy :p
It's totally roadworthy. they can sue the manufacturer. I'm sure Honda's team of lawyers would be happy to accommodate. Manufacturers are mandated to make speedos read slightly higher so the prosecution wouldn't stand a chance. It would be thrown out of court.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Different countries have different rules, but this was an interesting interview with a lawyer by 44Teeth regarding cameras in the UK:

Definitely UK laws apply in that video. Other countries, well, let's just say the cops don't always abide by the law. And it's extremely difficult to prosecute a cop even when they have broken the rules. Good for a watch though, thanks for putting it up. I like the part about 14 days notice on the speedo, yet most of the vids I've seen that blur the speedo are UK riders... interesting.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Whenever I get high enough over the limit [10+], I switch views or blur the speedometer. It's usually quite quick - less than a minute per instance ... what editor are you using? Davinci Resolve [what I use] and Premiere Pro both have masking & tracking, which speed up the process.

Here in the US it's a non-issue from what I've read, but since I started doing it on Day 1, I feel obligated to keep doing it... just like how I blur out all my license plates in my shots... which in a few videos' cases, was 2-3 hours of doing nothing but blurring plates in shots. Now I set up differently and frame my shots better to minimize or eliminate the plates altogether. [Side note if you're in Maryland, USA ... none of our plates are magnetic, so using magnetic HVAC vent covers is a no-go... ask me how I know]

-John

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
License plate blurring is a pain, and from what I can see, just not worth the time and trouble it takes to do it in a video. Youtube does offer a facial tracking feature in their editor which you can use after upload to blur moving faces, but you still have to do the old manual frame by frame editing for license plates. This is why Im researching a bit on the legalities, and from what I can see, the chances of getting a ticket in the mail are unlikely, and in the unlikely event you do, are easy to defend against in court.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
License plate blurring is a pain, and from what I can see, just not worth the time and trouble it takes to do it in a video. Youtube does offer a facial tracking feature in their editor which you can use after upload to blur moving faces, but you still have to do the old manual frame by frame editing for license plates. This is why Im researching a bit on the legalities, and from what I can see, the chances of getting a ticket in the mail are unlikely, and in the unlikely event you do, are easy to defend against in court.

Yeah, plates can be a bear. Especially if they move in and out of the shot, are obscured by other things, or move around a lot.

-John

Reactions: Baldbiker

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Luckily for here, unless you really really really go out of bonds, they need a place and time of the "said" crime.
So just some speeding won't get you in trouble.

Now, if you do allot of offences, including dangering others, and especially if you have a public figure role, they might start an investigation. For as far as i'm aware this happend 3 times to motorcyclist, and is more common to be done to bigger youtubers who jump on trains and stuff like that.

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
The deal is, you can be found, even if you cover your plate or speedo. So at that point, if you have a LEO that's a prick, they will just patrol in your area if they can and sooner or later they will catch you in the act. For instance and this may seem creepy, because of our convo here, I rewatched a video by a vlogger that does some stunting. Seemingly nice guy, maybe really nice , but he likes to show off. He lives in the metro where I do, maybe 25 miles from me. I figured out his street address in less than 10 minutes and I didn't know the name of his street or address or license plate. In another 5 I had his name from the assessor's office and his work through Linked In. Dude, I am not that quick or sharp and I figured it out pretty quickly. A cop with all the tools they have will figure it out even faster and this guy doesn't show plates or his street name. SO, my overall advice is that if you value your privacy and/or do stupid shit, you're going to have to be more careful. The thing is too, people are creatures of habit. That's our downfall if we want to be lost. So, as @LandyVlad says, don't be a dick. :)

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
We don't get tickets in the mail, we get surprises when we try to renew our road tax if there's any sneaky speed traps offences or such. Some offences will black-list the vehicle so you cannot renew the road tax until you settle the fines.
Where I live, if I get a picture ticket in my wife's car, as long as I ignore it, it goes away. It's happened once. It's not her, so, they drop it. If I go to the website and put the ticket number in, I've acknowledged it and I am nailed. They post signs were the fixed cameras are anyway and I stop on yellows if it's questionable. The tough ones are the ford transit vans they park on the side of the road. Gotta pay attention. So the rule is, 9 over you're fine, 10 over you're done.

Reactions: SighBored

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
I've done plate blocking and it can be a pain even with the tracking in PowerDirector. But as far as the Speedo thing, I dunno I think people spend way to much time worrying about it. Blurring it to me is just an admission of guilt and with some basic math they can figure out how fast you're going anyway with distance and time.

Like mentioned above, don't ride like a dick and you're probably fine. Do 100mph in a 45mph zone and you're asking for more trouble than a ticket anyway. JMHO

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Whenever I get high enough over the limit [10+], I switch views or blur the speedometer.

This is what I do. That said, I've had a few speeding moments slip through in my vids though, so far no tickets in the mail.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts