Hate the sound of my own voice

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
Buongiorno from the Red Zone!

Have to ask you all, do you all still hate hearing your voice played back? It cuts through me like hot knife through butter.

I went for a quick ride recently and also noticed, I am absolutely boring. Just wandering around aimlessly with nothing to say.
When watching other popular MotoVloggers, they talk crap a lot of the time, yet I can't stop watching, I can't explain it.

However, I don't have that same outgoing personality. I'm starting to wonder if even getting into this is the right thing for me, as fun as it seems.

Am I alone with this feeling?

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
Maybe watch the video of your ride and add audio later? Tell the story of the ride. Plus, it'll allow you to set up a better recording studio to get better audio and maybe not hate your voice?

Reactions: Ragamuffin

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think most people think they sound weird/odd as they are not used to hearing their own voice, and your inner voice is possibly a little different for you vs what your outer voice sounds like. Honestly, it is something you will get used to.
A lot of motovloggers chope a lot of the ride out so it seems like they are constantly talking, that is when a second camera angle helps as they can switch to it to stop the video jumping around locations too much.
Other folk can just motormouth like verbal diarrhea hahaha, I am envious of that skill, but more often than not they are just words falling out their mouths and not very coherent or on topic, so I guess with all levels of talkativeness comes pros and cons :D

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
;) Hello from the unquarantined (for now). I hope you are still in good health in the "protected zone". I like the original name given of "red zone" better.

I am the same way as you. In the end, only you can answer the question if it is right for you.

I have kept some of my early stuff online for several reason including to see how much has or has not changed.

I have heard there is some truth in humor so when I saw this satirical article, I know your reaction is normal for a lot of us creators...
https://local.theonion.com/youtuber-cringing-while-watching-amateurish-early-curr-1827235375

In the meantime, Have Fun!

Reactions: Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
Maybe watch the video of your ride and add audio later? Tell the story of the ride. Plus, it'll allow you to set up a better recording studio to get better audio and maybe not hate your voice?

That could work for me, I have plenty of audio equipment but I really prefer the videos where the audio is live.

I think most people think they sound weird/odd as they are not used to hearing their own voice, and your inner voice is possibly a little different for you vs what your outer voice sounds like. Honestly, it is something you will get used to.
A lot of motovloggers chope a lot of the ride out so it seems like they are constantly talking, that is when a second camera angle helps as they can switch to it to stop the video jumping around locations too much.
Other folk can just motormouth like verbal diarrhea hahaha, I am envious of that skill, but more often than not they are just words falling out their mouths and not very coherent or on topic, so I guess with all levels of talkativeness comes pros and cons :D

Sadly the inner voice is MUCH different to reality, atleast for me. my accent is more noticable, it's ugh! I don't know how people get used to it haha. The second camera angle I really like, but that requires another gopro, damn expensive little things.

It is an envious skill, somehow, even if it's not really on topic or about a topic in general, I still can't stop watching them. I'll have to plan some content I think.

;) Hello from the unquarantined (for now). I hope you are still in good health in the "protected zone". I like the original name given of "red zone" better.

I am the same way as you. In the end, only you can answer the question if it is right for you.

I have kept some of my early stuff online for several reason including to see how much has or has not changed.

I have heard there is some truth in humor so when I saw this satirical article, I know your reaction is normal for a lot of us creators...
https://local.theonion.com/youtuber-cringing-while-watching-amateurish-early-curr-1827235375

In the meantime, Have Fun!

You're right, RedZone sounds better to me also! However, I hope it doesn't end up with other countries in locked down but I'm feeling great otherwise! thanks!

That article really helps and it's good to know it's not just me finding this an issue, so many people make it look so natural.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You could ask your friends, like close friends to see what they say, or just do what I do and just crack on and stuff what others think, it empowers you to not care, which is a great confidence builder! :)

Reactions: R-Rated

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
Buongiorno from the Red Zone!

Have to ask you all, do you all still hate hearing your voice played back? It cuts through me like hot knife through butter.

I went for a quick ride recently and also noticed, I am absolutely boring. Just wandering around aimlessly with nothing to say.
When watching other popular MotoVloggers, they talk crap a lot of the time, yet I can't stop watching, I can't explain it.

However, I don't have that same outgoing personality. I'm starting to wonder if even getting into this is the right thing for me, as fun as it seems.

Am I alone with this feeling?
I feel the same thing even though everyone tells me otherwise

Reactions: HippoDrone

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Like being in front of a camera, it's unnerving - but with time you'll get used to it and relax/videos will show this.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I feel you on that! I've always said, have a topic to discuss when you ride out and vlog and you can add whatever interesting you see as you ride. If I don't have anything to say, I just enjoy the ride!

Once you edit your videos enough times and keep hearing your voice over and over.... you get used to it and my voice eventually grew on me

B.Vation

@Bikervation
Feb 28, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride a
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R Roadster
I found it uncomfortable when first talking into a camera a very nervous even though I didn’t need to post the result!! How’s that work? Getting better and a bit more relaxed. One thing this YouTube lark does is make one except who they are, what they look like and how they sound. It’s just another growth experience.

Reactions: WildOn2s

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
Well, that's reassuring haha.

I'm so damn excited to make a start, this Convid-19 crap has put a hold on everything.

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
I found it uncomfortable when first talking into a camera a very nervous even though I didn’t need to post the result!! How’s that work? Getting better and a bit more relaxed. One thing this YouTube lark does is make one except who they are, what they look like and how they sound. It’s just another growth experience.
That’s so true. I noticed just after my 2 videos I’m caring less and it’s just who I am. I think I’m getting better on camera and just being me. Just uploaded my 2nd video today lol ‍♂️

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
That’s so true. I noticed just after my 2 videos I’m caring less and it’s just who I am. I think I’m getting better on camera and just being me. Just uploaded my 2nd video today lol ‍♂
I can appreciate a vlogger who acts the same behind a camera. I couldn't find your channel on your profile but I noticed we had the same birthdays lol

Reactions: WildOn2s

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R

When watching other popular MotoVloggers, they talk crap a lot of the time, yet I can't stop watching, I can't explain it. However, I don't have that same outgoing personality.

Without reading the other reactions;

I absolutely hated my voice played back. But you get used to it. Nowadays it doesn't bother me anymore.
Yes your own voice played back sounds different then what you have been hearing your whole life, and thus makes us feel weird out / hate it.
I still have that "hate" feeling when i hear my voice back in my native language, it sounds different to mu English voice (weird....).

And about that, yeah, talk crap, just do it ;)
I'm not an outgoing personality either. When i watch back grouprides or meetups, i'm always the guy in the back (makes it hard to grow a channel).
But vloggingwise, you can talk and repeat and change and talk etc etc for hours, and then edit it in a flashy feeling ride of 10 mins. Don't be afraid of the edits and the mistakes. Use them, accept them, and it will get easier.

Big part (and probably the worst part) of motovlogging is editing. But you can save a vlog with some good cuts ;)
You will learn through the edit what your stoppingwords and stuff like that is, and will use them less and less over time.
The start can be though, but when you keep at it, you will enjoy it more as it gets a bit easier ;)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I think most people hate the sound of their own voice recorded, it just doesn't sound the same as it does in our own heads when we talk.

Part of motovlogging is getting past that fear I suppose. The reality is we can't change our voices so we either have to accept it or stop trying out of embarrassment, lol. Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.

MotorPont

Wannabe Swedish biker
Mar 31, 2020
Sweden
I ride a
Kawasaki Zzr1400
I am very much the same and it took me a very long time to work up the nerve to start vlogging. First I started in Swedish but I have now moved on to English. Speaking english feels a little like I'm pretending, more like I'm not 100% myself and that makes it a little bit easier to talk. Still, I hate my personality and I feel like I'm very boring, specially comparing to other vlogger sout there. But I see all this as a challenge to myself, to see if I can actually pull this off and maybe become a better person because of it. Right now I focus only on having fun and, as I said, challenge myself. Sub count and stuff like that comes second to that. Hopefully any of this helps, at least it's nice to know that you're not the only one with these feeling towards creating your own motovlogs.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Your voice is fine. No worries. Everyone goes through that phase of self-conscious reflection, until we discover our voice - visual and audio tone and style when you create your motovlogs. Once you're comfortable in your audio 'skin' things get easier.

- Wolf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts