Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is good that they are taking ownership of the issue though and putting out the recall. Are these engines made in the USA or abroad?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
It is good that they are taking ownership of the issue though and putting out the recall. Are these engines made in the USA or abroad?

I not certain where the clutch component is actually made but they are installed and tested in the US.

Interesting enough when I reviewed the Road Glide Ultra, I noticed something odd with the clutch. That bike had around 3k miles on it.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
This is projected to cost 35million USD to remedy...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/23/harley-davidson-recall/1738046002/

My concern is that H-D allegedly tests the heck out bikes near Yucca Az so what is going on in quality control?

Whenever I do Demo Ride events with Harley, the clutches are alwasy janky. Figured that was just because of how many people ride them and most of them have terrible habits or just don't give a crap about the bikes so they beat the clutch to hell.

As for the cost of these recalls, probably costs less than changing/upgrading their R&D or quality control. This issue might be something that comes from time plus use that just can't be replicated in the short time that they test the bikes. They may even build this type of failure/recall into the price of the bikes knowing that it can and does happen after being around all these years.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
@LoneWolfer I guess the cost depends on what happens when the clutch fails. A slow speed parking lot maneuver and the bike losing momentum resulting in bruising, scratches, and some paint might not be bad. However, if the clutch fails in moderate traffic causing a loss of momentum then there could be a bigger price.

I guess when a company rests on name recognition instead of proving their worth then these things will happen.:oops:

M0T0B34R

M0T0 B34R
Jul 29, 2018
Columbus Ohio
I ride a
2014 FXDB
You can login to their site and see if you are affected by any recalls too. recall site link I think this is for any recalls on your bike. My dealer checks every time I bring the bike in for service and will let me know as well as fix them on the spot if needed.

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
This is projected to cost 35million USD to remedy...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/23/harley-davidson-recall/1738046002/

My concern is that H-D allegedly tests the heck out bikes near Yucca Az so what is going on in quality control?
Talked to a Harley mechanic about this. He told me they are using cheaper parts and getting cheaper results. The clutch was so hard to hold in on the new streetglide, that I drove that I had to quickly find nuetral at every light.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Talked to a Harley mechanic about this. He told me they are using cheaper parts and getting cheaper results. The clutch was so hard to hold in on the new streetglide, that I drove that I had to quickly find nuetral at every light.

That is good to in know.

I was wondering about the slip and assist clutch with the slimmer primary setup. Maybe the new clutch just does not have enough room to flex?

My 09 was tougher as time went on and I had to add a kit to the end of the cable under the trap door for the tranny. It was smoother and lighter. However, since hydraulics are involved now - that may not be an option someone can do in their garage.

Reactions: Mr. G

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
That is good to in know.

I was wondering about the slip and assist clutch with the slimmer primary setup. Maybe the new clutch just does not have enough room to flex?

My 09 was tougher as time went on and I had to add a kit to the end of the cable under the trap door for the tranny. It was smoother and lighter. However, since hydraulics are involved now - that may not be an option someone can do in their garage.
http://amp.kmbc.com/article/harley-davidson-to-recall-nearly-178k-bikes-to-fix-clutches/24438461

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Good information. Not sure how a secondary piston would prevent an internal leak.

Depends on what they call which. Quite a few manufactures call the piston you push on the primary piston, meaning the other one is the secondary.

The fact that it says they will replace the piston and not just the cups, make it sound like its a sizing problem.

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
Good information. Not sure how a secondary piston would prevent an internal leak.
All I know is it sucks to use the knew clutch. And the front brake on the new bikes bites earlier and harder. Strange...

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts