Gopro for Instagram

paul.lagan

Wannabie Member
Hi All,

Apologies of this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer.

I use a Gopro hero 9 on a chin mount

I have been posting to Youtube and then using the same video (cropped) for some Instagram reels.

I want to focus on short-form videos for Instagram but wanted to check something.

For reels that need to be vertical do you simply turn the GoPro 90 degrees or simply just crop the footage? Cropping loses a lot of the picture.

Just wondered if anyone else posted reels directly and what your camera setup is.

Ideally I want to be able to record for both Youtube and Instagram in one go and chop the footage depending what it is for

Any advise., am I just overthinking it and just use a cropped version for Instagram

I wok on both long and short form stuff, but I'm still kind of new so there are probably better ways to do this than what I'm doing.

Think about what you are shooting and where it will be viewed, the Hero 9 can record at 5k or 4k at 60 fps. Unless you do slow motion you probably want to shoot at 24fps. This lets you shoot at a resolution of 5120x 2880 (5k). HD resolution for shorts is 1080x1920. So you can still get full HD resolution shooting either way and just cropping the image.

In most cases you don't need more image at the top and bottom. Do your videos need more sky and dirt? Probably not. So shooting vertical means you are probably going to crop the image anyway, and it will never be very useful for any standard work you are doing, because you will probably want more of the landscape, not a small window of the vertical image.

That's why I shoot horizontal.

The only use case for vertical that I see is if you want to post in the field without doing any editing and basically want to go from camera to Instagram. I never do that.

The few videos I have made as Shorts were all cropped if from a GoPro. I also use an Insta360 One X2, so I can just reframe them in whatever resolution/ratio I want which has come in handy.

If you are purposefully only recording a short form video, then yup, you could just rotate the GoPro 90' to get the best quality from it. I'd also suggest changing the FOV to Linear as well.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back