FRONT BRAKES?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Four fingers is not proper technique. Preference or not, off road or on road.
When I took the motorcycle safety course back in 1988 they absolutely taught us to use all four fingers on the brake lever. In emergencies you want to be able to provide a lot of quick progressive pressure, and four fingers are better than two for that. Plus it prevents the possibility of getting fingers pinched between the lever and grip which could hinder applying full pressure. There isn't always time to think things out in a panic stop, so minimizing the chances of an accidental pinch is good.

Reactions: Pooley and motosera

L. Bilious

Huge member
Aug 2, 2019
North Cheshire/South Manchester
I ride a
CBR1100, GSXR750, XR250
Right, I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works now.....

I've looked back at old trackday photo's and I've braked (and clutched) with 3 fingers!

I've now got gloves with the little and ring fingers connected together and use 4 fingers on track.

On road I generally use 2 fingers and forward vision to not need to brake hard.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Already contributed my opinion, but it's clear many of us have different views on the topic so I wanted to show why I use the brakes this way with some practical examples :)

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Four fingers stronger than two! Not all roads are perfectly flat and dry without some sort of dirt, oil, sand or cracks filled by tar. Four finger grip will apply more force and thus be more dangerous in emergency situations.
So why do people upgrade their bikes brakes then?

That's it, i'm replacing my brake pads with wood. There will be less force on the discs therefore it is safer

KapGranite

New Hampshire, USA
Jun 16, 2020
New Hampshire
I ride a
Victory Cross Country
Its really hard for me to say what % of either front or back brake I use. Its gotten to the point now that I just know what brake to apply during situations that I just don't normally think about it. It honestly would probably be a pretty even my between the two. I am normally in areas that are 40mph on average and go up to 55mph so probably use the back brake a little more. And if I had to stop a bit faster its more so a evenly applies front and back.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts