West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I have gotten off a few bikes over the handlebars! :D

I've often looked at you getting on your bike and wondered why, as it looks so awkward to do that way. I'm a lefty unless I have to mount from the right! :D

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I have gotten off a few bikes over the handlebars! :D

I've often looked at you getting on your bike and wondered why, as it looks so awkward to do that way. I'm a lefty unless I have to mount from the right! :D

Now you know...I posted a link to video on my Facebook account from a huge motovlogger explaining the reason why some choose the side I do.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
It really doesn't make a difference. I first started mounting always from the left as to the culture, but now I just mount and dismount to whatever direction I'm coming from or going. There are benefits to mounting from the left because that's the side your bike leans onto the kickstand and so if it were to slip out and fall you could then brace it from the left side. Also most tailpipes are on the right side, so you are less likely to burn yourself from the left. Really though, if you are confident in safely mounting from both sides then there is no real reason in only using the one side. I believe that the standard of mounting from the left comes from riding horses. You train your horse to expect you to always mount and dismount from the same side(the standard being the left). That way your horse can predict your movement and act accordingly. I suppose as a passenger on a bike you should always mount from the left so the rider can predict your movement and brace accordingly.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I was taught right from the start to get on and off from the left.

When I have the bike in the shed where I park it I get off on the right side. Always feels weird.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Whatever side is accessable in my book. Or I have even vaulted on from the back in a hurry.

I did take the police training program and they taught us to mount and dismount on the right as stated in the video you shared on facebook. Don't want to get nailed while getting off the bike on the side of the road because some douche is distracted by tweets or some other garbage excuse they would have.

Reactions: R-Rated and Samir

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
I don't really care. In the garage I can only mount and dismount the bike on the right side, but when parked outside I always seem to mount and dismount on the left side.

Reactions: R-Rated

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Usually left, typically its easier since the bike is leaning thay way. But I have no problem using the right side

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Left only - it's a struggle to get over the seat, I need to squash the bike with my fat @r$e so I can get the right foot even near the ground. And with a top box on I need to do the "hurdle". Bloody hilarious to watch.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Even though I have used both sides, I tend to prefer left. Probably because I can keep my foot on the ground, and it just feels better.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts