Custom roadtrip route planning apps

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Here's a question for the hive mind.... road trip route planning apps, when you want to take a very specific route. Has anyone ever found anything that works?

For example, here's a circular route I have planned on Google Maps via the desktop web browser app -
https://goo.gl/maps/KAJryboEsS45CaLE6

If you open that link on a desktop web browser you will see the same circular loop as I planned

loop.JPG

If you now open that route on the phone app you will see that it redirects you on the shortest route between the start and end point. The same if you send it via phone, open the link in mobile browser or the app.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any good custom road tip/route planning apps which actually work on a phone.

I really think Google are missing a trick here - there is a work around using My Maps but it's horribly complex/clunky.

• Wow
Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I hope there is something. Google has burned me too many times in the past by having me take, odd out of the way roads that make no sense over a more direct route by a freeway or connecting exit. In short oats map AI needs a lot of work.

-Wolf

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think you can do it on the Garmin route planner, but you'd then need a Garmin satnav too. I use View Ranger on my phone and have installed the OS maps onto it. I use it for green laning and can create your own routes on that, but I've not made any of my own routes with it yet to know how to do so

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
I think you can do it on the Garmin route planner, but you'd then need a Garmin satnav too. I use View Ranger on my phone and have installed the OS maps onto it. I use it for green laning and can create your own routes on that, but I've not made any of my own routes with it yet to know how to do so

Yes you can do it with Garmin. I have a Zumo660, but just took it off to use my phone instead. Maybe it was a bad idea :(

Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Harley-Davidson in the US has an app for Android that you can plan a route on their website with waypoints and then use that with the app on the phone.

Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: motosera

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
loads of motovloggers are raving about the Calimoto app

I was going to suggest Calimoto. I've just started using it. I'm not "sold" yet and still use Google maps as my go-to but I certainly do want to give it a fair try as google maps has its frustrations.

When I did my oxfordshire ride, I took ages planning the route out in google, only for google to ruin it all for me!!

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
In the US, i use REVER as a ride builder and ride tracker app. The website has plot points to link sections and best of all, it's linked to Butler Motorcycle Maps, which show the best motorcycle roads in any state/region. I use Butler folding maps too to help build rides. This is a screenshot of my planned route that i built on the website, REVER.co, the app tracks your ride via GPS. Good system, not perfect.
BD5DB094-DC13-4761-96B0-034ADD6BDCB6_1_201_a.jpeg

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
In the US, i use REVER as a ride builder and ride tracker app. The website has plot points to link sections and best of all, it's linked to Butler Motorcycle Maps, which show the best motorcycle roads in any state/region. I use Butler folding maps too to help build rides. This is a screenshot of my planned route that i built on the website, REVER.co, the app tracks your ride via GPS. Good system, not perfect. View attachment 5178
It's it a free app? I might give it a go next time I'm in the US - whenever travel restrictions lift

Reactions: TheAbGarag

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
I've used the Harley trip planner on desktop for planning, and then save it and will open it on the app. It seems to work pretty well, but if you don't zoom in far enough, it might have you making a few more turns than you need to. Overall it's been pretty good, though.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The Chronicles of Mr Fish got me to try it the other day on a ride down to Beachy Head. Is quite cool. As is his vid, so everyone go watch it! :D hahaha

Reactions: motosera

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I've been using calimoto since 2017 on both iOS and Android. I've imported GPX files and created me own and not had any issues. Word of warning always check your route as it well try and take you off a road and put you bck on it. The super twisty also tends to take you down small lanes

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
I've been using calimoto since 2017 on both iOS and Android. I've imported GPX files and created me own and not had any issues. Word of warning always check your route as it well try and take you off a road and put you bck on it. The super twisty also tends to take you down small lanes

Yep, I noticed that about it. Will see how it goes on the longer trips we have planned.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts