Cube Action Camera

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
Hey folks. So I am in the market looking for a good quality budget Cube Action camera like teh Hero Session. I already have a Hero 4 Silver but I have been recently thinking that weight is more important than the picture quality.

The requirements are pretty simple. Should do 1080 @60fps with decent to good image quality along with a ~1hr continuous battery life. Mic isnt important, I use an external audio recorder and sync everything in post production

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks!

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
https://www.youtube.com/c/MIcruiserGUY
Hey folks. So I am in the market looking for a good quality budget Cube Action camera like teh Hero Session. I already have a Hero 4 Silver but I have been recently thinking that weight is more important than the picture quality.

The requirements are pretty simple. Should do 1080 @60fps with decent to good image quality along with a ~1hr continuous battery life. Mic isnt important, I use an external audio recorder and sync everything in post production

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks!
I picked up a first gen session from ebay for 100 bucks. does 1080 60 with protune options. Records for 1:45 roughly.

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
@MIcruiser can you link me a motovlog of yours where I can checkout the video quality of the Session?

I was also excited about RunCam3 which I came across on youtube but it seems like they discontinued it last year.

I was also looking into Foxxer Box, any suggestions on this would be appreciated!

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I've been using a Polaroid Cube plus which records in 1080P at 60 and is super tiny, since my gopro suffered a fatel injury from a tomahawk. If you check out my channel you can see a few videos I've posted recently all hot with the Polaroid Cube but I would suggest checking out the video Winter Is Coming as I also share the footage of the gopro taking a tomahawk to the face. I like the little polaroid, but I ve been looking into getting a Hero Session and am leaning toward the 5 for a two camera setup. And the Sessions are dropping in price as gopro isn't continuing them and the newer 6 and new hero have been released.

Reactions: M0C70R

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
@MIcruiser can you link me a motovlog of yours where I can checkout the video quality of the Session?

I was also excited about RunCam3 which I came across on youtube but it seems like they discontinued it last year.

I was also looking into Foxxer Box, any suggestions on this would be appreciated!

Here you go. Its the handlebar one facing back at me.

Last edited by a moderator:

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
@LoneWolfer I am inclined to get a Hero Session as well but theres talk that GoPro might go bankrupt soon? Also besides it will take a long time for Amazon.in to reflect the price drop on those sessions. So basically Hero Session is the best Cube Cam there is?

@MIcruiser thanks for the video. Cam quality looks pretty good. Hows 60fps on it? Also is the cam able to easily pick up Number plates?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The Hero 5 Session is a lot better than the Hero Session.

I am going to remove the above video now you have seen it as vlogs shouldn't be shared outside of the members vlogs section (I know this was done to help you which is why I have waited for you to view it before removing it).

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
The bankruptcy issue is a bit offputting but I was talking to my buddy about that and it seems they have leveled out on that front with the consolidation and release of the three new cameras and the discontinuation of their drones and the session cameras. I personally don't have an issue buying a session with the discontinuation, because they are cool little cameras. And i don't mind buying one used either as long as its in good shape.

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
@LoneWolfer oh so thats why the Sessions arent listed on the website. I see. Hero Session it is. Gota wait for a price drop now.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
As for the bankruptcy concerns, it shouldn't be an issue, if you have a problem with the camera, take it back to the shop you got it from if it breaks while under warranty as it is their problem rather than yours.
If you can afford one, go for the Session 5. I now use a Hero 6 Black and use my Hero 5 Black as my off bike camera. I really like my Session 5 and do still use it but I prefer the extra bits available from the full sized modern GoPros.

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
The Hero 5 Session is a lot better than the Hero Session.

I am going to remove the above video now you have seen it as vlogs shouldn't be shared outside of the members vlogs section (I know this was done to help you which is why I have waited for you to view it before removing it).

Sorry about the vid post. wasnt even thinking when I posted it. Like you said, I was just trying to help him out. Ill try to remember to not do that next time. Thanks for at least giving him a chance to see it first. Good to know mods are enforcing rules, yet letting unintentional oversights go long enough to serve their purpose.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Easiest way around this is if you have already shared the video in the Members Vlogs section you can share the url to that post :)

Reactions: MIcruiser

pimp

Wannabie Member
Apr 17, 2015
Llanelli Wales UK
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R 2012
Ive always felt they are only really good for face shots in the cockpit. I prefer my drift for helmet mount and ease of mic, nice and slick. Have a gopro for various position shots over bike and for timelapse.

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
Ive always felt they are only really good for face shots in the cockpit. I prefer my drift for helmet mount and ease of mic, nice and slick. Have a gopro for various position shots over bike and for timelapse.

My assumption is that nobody watches a Motovlog on 4k or even 2.7k. 1080p60fps is tops. So with that in mind, I dont wanna use my Hero4 Silver as primary cam on my helmet. I believe a smaller cube cam with 1080-60 would be better in terms of weight to performance ratio. Theres also the added benefit of the cam being extra stealthy and more flexible in terms of mounting positions.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts