COVID-19 affects YouTube

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Probably just covering their arses - People deleting stuff from home, less checks and balances maybe

Reactions: Pooley and R-Rated

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I think their review system is something thats only internally available (you must be in the YT offices). Maybe too much risk letting reviewers watch flagged content at home?

Reactions: UncleL

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
They have automated systems, but whenever someone makes a dispute, then they need a human to check it. Due to the pandemic, probably they want staff to stay away from office to reduce contamination, hence the notice.

WFH (work from home) you say? I have a buddy who works in a company here in Malaysia, which is one of the contracted companies by Facebook to monitor and review reports lodged by users. The security in the company is so strict there, no personal items allowed. So they obviously have no access to WFH.

I bet YT is more or less along the same lines (sub contracting support) so the company that's actually checking your disputes might probably be one of the affected countries.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I teach at three universities, two in Philadelphia, PA, and one in Baltimore, MD. All three have closed their campuses, made the students move out of their dorms and will now continue their classes online. Currently, I'm adapting and rewriting syllabi for 8 classes/courses, covering Freshmen through Senior classes.

I'm working to foster close to 50 students who are making their own films, but may now never be able to fully finish them due to the lack of access to pivotal hardware and software equipment. The worse are my seniors who've been working on their thesis projects for close to a year.

Regardless, everyone is working to the best of their ability. I'd imagine YT has the money and expertise to find workable solutions.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
When it comes to private & confidential data which cannot be freely granted access thru VPN in order to allow people to WFH, it's not so simple. Sure they can have employees sign non-disclosure agreements etc. but if someone leaks something, a leak is still a leak, and consumers/clients will not be pleased, not to mention the amount of lawsuits.

Reactions: scooterwuf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
The shutdown is not fully obeyed, or least what they mean is the office is not allowed to open, but people can still work from home if they have the access. To expect businesses to fully shutdown for 2 weeks will be suicide for most businesses, hence some opting to lay-off staff, or declare unpaid leave. If you think the businesses are evil for doing that, you must also understand that just as much as you are worried about sustaining your family with your pay-check, the business owner too has to think about the same, if they can afford to pay staff/operational costs without any generated business profits, on top of that have funds to sustain their own family. There's no right or wrong party here, everyone wants to survive this.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Good point. I meant that if they are allowed to have employees in their place of business instead of having everyone work remotely at home. My fault. I did say fully shut down, but I meant in the physical sense, yet they could still do their work asynchronously. Damn. Language always gets in the way of saying stuff.

- Wolf

Reactions: R-Rated

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I did chuckle seeing this myself but I agree with WEB. It's an easy and safe measure to take during these uncertain times.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO