Changing down through gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh94zz

Wannabie Member
Hey Guys so i need a little Help with changing down through gears to get to first gear before stopping all the way from 5th gear as in the cbt they only really taught me how to change down from 2nd although we reached 5th gear when slowing down the instructor was saying when to change down a gear also when coming to traffic lights and your in top gear how should you go about braking if they turn orange when your not close enough to Get through them legally but your too close to stop in a progressive way?
Thanks for any help :)

There's no real difference between changing down from 5th to 1st than 2nd to 1st, apart from the obvious higher number of gears. There is no set order in which you should descend the gears, generally it's a gear at a time, but as all the time with driving the situation dictates it. You will learn when it's a good idea to change down, it's just a matter of time, look at your rev counter and listen to your enginge. If you get into a situation where you're at a standstill in 5th, it's no problem, just pull in the clutch and click them down. You don't have to stop in first, you can stop in fifth, just make sure you're in first to pull away.

In the traffic light situation you will learn when lights are likely to change, if you can't stop in time then it's safer the progress through, just be extra careful. Traffic lights are timed to allow for this.

Hope that helps a little

CurlyBlakey said:
There's no real difference between changing down from 5th to 1st than 2nd to 1st, apart from the obvious higher number of gears. There is no set order in which you should descend the gears, generally it's a gear at a time, but as all the time with driving the situation dictates it. You will learn when it's a good idea to change down, it's just a matter of time, look at your rev counter and listen to your enginge. If you get into a situation where you're at a standstill in 5th, it's no problem, just pull in the clutch and click them down. You don't have to stop in first, you can stop in fifth, just make sure you're in first to pull away.

In the traffic light situation you will learn when lights are likely to change, if you can't stop in time then it's safer the progress through, just be extra careful. Traffic lights are timed to allow for this.

Hope that helps a little
it does Help Alot :) thanks

You can pull away in most gears if your smooth enough.

I know my Rs125 had a fit over going into 1st when stopping, I always had to either knock it into Netural before getting to the lights or get to first and either choose to stay in 1st of knock back into Netural.

The gear selector had decided to wear down.

I would Suggest when comming to the traffic lights knock it down and let the engine braking slow the bike down (If there is any) or you will feel the bike start to jutter (usually means change down again) Basicly too lower revs for that gear.

Depending on your bike you will get a feel for what gear is what speed & what speed is what revs.

If your really worring about changing down the gears when at traffic lights, & worring about either not being able to stop or being in the right gear to get through the lights DONT.

if the lights are amber and your not in the right gear a 125 won't chuck you off when you open the throttle it will either gradually build speed or just bog down. You will then know when to change down.

If the lights are red and you want to stop there's two ways of going down the box.

1. stop at the lights holding in the clutch (Meaning you having to roll with the clutch in to the lights). Then when you have stoped just kick down untill in first.

2. The way I do it, & I know most people do or should do to save the life of their gear box. When changing down, nip the trottle so (Just an example) go from 3k revs to 5k and then change down at the same time, as when you change down without nipping the throttle the revs will climb. Your just compensating for the revs and stopping the clutch plates from hitting each other alot harder than what they should.

(Yes longwinded I know, but I like to give advice on the advice i've been given and from my personal experiance.)

AZZ3R said:
The way I do it, & I know most people do or should do to save the life of their gear box. When changing down, nip the trottle so (Just an example) go from 3k revs to 5k and then change down at the same time, as when you change down without nipping the throttle the revs will climb. Your just compensating for the revs and stopping the clutch plates from hitting each other alot harder than what they should.

Gotta love a bit of throttle blipping action, but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, first time you try you'll quite possibly launch yourself into a car/pedestrian/wall. Just get the timing right, as AZZ3R says, pull in the clutch at the same time as giving the throttle a quick flick. Very satisfying once you get it right.

Theres no problem with holding the clutch in and knocking down through them all without letting the clutch out if your at a stand still, they dont recommend it if moving incase you let out the clutch to fast and lock up your rear tyre because your in too low of a gear. You will get it with more riding, you'll be able to predict situations and tell when to start knocking down the gears, I normally roll up in 6th and then the last few yards knock down the gears, it doesn't take as long as you think.

If you have any biker buddies watch their right foot for the changes to see when they start to do it, or have someone watch you and give you advice, if there are any vloggers out there maybe meet up with them. Where abouts are you from?

Theres no synchro on bike gears so if you find yourself in 5th at the lights and stopped you're going to have a fun time.

Pull in clutch,
Place gentle force on the gear change (you'll normally get one freebie gear change on my experience, then you're down to jiggling)
Let out clutch to biting point and back in.

You basically have to "jiggle" your way down the gears.

You may find rolling the bike a touch forwards helps too, changing gears when at a standstill can be a pain in the arse.

While pulling away in fifth is unlikely to go fantastic on an old 125. If you have to do it, keep those revs up sky high, let the clutch out slowly and as you start moving once again change down gears until you're in the right one.

As for amber lights, problem with going through them is that drivers now anticipate when they change so the timing that allows you to go through and not get hit, gets smaller.

Just plan ahead. If it's been green a while, ease up on the throttle, check your mirrors and be ready to stop.

If the lights have only just turned green, don't worry so much.

If the lights are purple and flying around your head, exit the discotheque.

On your tests remember amber means "stop if safe to do so" so try not to blat through them using throttle.

When waiting at lights be sure to keep a check on your mirrors, getting rear ended sucks and is deadly.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I'd always try to get down before stopping at the lights. You can do it, you just need to start early enough.

As for stopping as a light changes, you should always be prepared for a light to change when its green. You should be in a gear and traveling at a speed that will allow this. Just slow down a bit when you see some lights and dont know how long they've been green or how quick they change.

Thanks for all the advice Guys i feel a bit more confident and havent even gone for a since passing yesterday mainly because i dont have tax and insurance but This is very helpfull :)

Re: Re: Changing down through gears

Chessecake94 said:
Bloke said:
You basically have to "jiggle" your way down the gears.

Don't you just keep clicking down until you can go no further down??

You'll get one maybe two gear changes doing that at a standstill.

The jiggle is needed as unlike cars bike gears aren't synchromeshed. So you'll be pushing down and your selector won't be going anywhere.

Rotate the back wheel (jiggle ;)) a little and the selector will fall into place.

Plus a little jiggle is rarely wasted :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back