Car Crash on news. Ran from Police because of no Insurance

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
I see far too often various car accidents involving running from the Police in my local rag. This latest one reports that a 1 day old BMW crashed after running from Police. The reason? Because they forgot to insure the vehicle...

When I purchased my Fazer, the dealer (Harley Birmingham) said he wouldn't let me ride it away unless I could give him sight of Ins documents. I wasn't at all impressed by this, because I thought that was totally a reasonable thing to do! (I had the quote in hand, just needed 10 minutes to pay the Insurance company)

Has this happened to anyone else, or do dealers just not get involved? Is it their job to ensure we are road legal?

In this instance the car was a BMW. Is it a case of the Dealer looking for the easy sale and didn't want anything to get in the way of that?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The only new bike I have purchased that I didn't need to show proof of insurance was my Beta 390 RR, and that was because I took it away in a van. All others they have needed to see my insurance certificate

Reactions: MickFist

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I had to bring my plates from the DMV before I could ride my bike off the lot and at the DMV to get my registration and plates I had to show proof of insurance.

Some riders buy their bikes used and never register or insure them. Where I live vehicle insurance is pretty high because too many people often drive without a license, registration or insurance.

- Wolf

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Bought a new car last year and didn't have to prove insurance to anybody before we drove away, least of all the dealer.

Must be some wort of weird UK thing..

We don't have to prove it as a rule.

It's the buyers/owners responsibility to ensure they are covered. Just that some dealers, for new/newish cars will give you some free cover.

Reactions: LandyVlad

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
You gotta have insurance in Californiaand many times it's not too expensive to buy, I can't believe someone would run from the cops because of that!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts