General Cager On Phone Nearly Hits Biker

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Back to the phone issue haha. It is illegal but police don't enforce it very aggressively. You are suppose to have a hands-free device but I see people talking constantly and have never seen anyone pulled over for it.

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Handled well, your quick reaction saved you.
I really despise mobile phones. Once upon a time not that long ago, you wouldnt know if someone called until you got home and checked your messages. Same should be done with the mobile, their is nothing urgent enough to have to take a call or txt whilst driving. Too many people die on the roads because people are too occupied on their mobile, most cases I bet it was all for "what are you doing" or a damn smiley face. I reckon it should be dealt with the same as drink driving. Living on farms, Ive driven in paddocks drunk and used my phone while driving and really I found using the phone more distracting then being drunk. So it shouldn't be a mere fine.

Reactions: AmpdMoto

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Handled well, your quick reaction saved you.
I really despise mobile phones. Once upon a time not that long ago, you wouldnt know if someone called until you got home and checked your messages. Same should be done with the mobile, their is nothing urgent enough to have to take a call or txt whilst driving. Too many people die on the roads because people are too occupied on their mobile, most cases I bet it was all for "what are you doing" or a damn smiley face. I reckon it should be dealt with the same as drink driving. Living on farms, Ive driven in paddocks drunk and used my phone while driving and really I found using the phone more distracting then being drunk. So it shouldn't be a mere fine.

I completely agree not that I have ever driven drunk to compare but I can completely see where you are coming from. Fines alone will not fix the issue. The law needs to approach it more in the sense of a DUI charge because both kill people exactly the same way, by taking your attention and ability away from where it should be focused.

Reactions: jthomas

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Oh whoops :rolleyes: Got a little sidetracked talking about people with beautiful hair, didn't we

I was starting to think the new debate was going on in here.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Yikes... Close call!!! It is unbelievable how many drivers are on their phones here in SA as well. And then they will be driving cars with built in Bluetooth...

Exactly. Nearly every car made today has it built in. Even if it's not built in a bluetooth device can be purchased for very cheap these days. People never care until it's too late unfortunately.

Reactions: Poenster

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
New underpants after that one. Well done for looking so far ahead too!

Puckered for sure. I have been in an accident before so it's like a second nature for me to constantly assume every car I see is going to pull out in front of me.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I believe that phone use while driving, especially texting is more dangerous than drink driving.

At least drunks look where they're going I suppose...

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
I believe that phone use while driving, especially texting is more dangerous than drink driving.

At least drunks look where they're going I suppose...

I agree but I despise all forms of distracted driving as I was hit by a drunk driver a few years back on my old bike. Texting is probably worse though in the fact that the number of people texting and driving is so much greater.

Ramblin'

Ramblin'Rider on YT
Nov 24, 2015
Hilton Head SC
I ride a
HONDA CRF250L
Honda Grom MSX125
Is it actually illegal in the USA for using a phone while driving?

It is actually LEGAL in most states to talk on the phone as I understand it - however at least they are taking a stand against texting and driving over here. I think even the states that don't allow either allow hands free operation...but the conversation is whats distracting most times - not the holding of the phone to your ear lol

I never used to care but once i started riding I get mad at people talking on the phone even though its legal here in South Carolina / Georgia!

Seven5O

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2016
Northern California
I ride a
Gsxr
Lady never even looked at me despite my ultra bright HID headlight and loud exhaust. Luckily I saw it coming and could avoid it.

Wow some people... i still cant understand how some people dont look.. i think before getting a license people should ride a bike. I think it will make them pay more attention.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Nice riding there. No way I could have reacted like that. I'm trying to just get more seat time so I will be better prepared for a similar encounter.

And on the phone thing, the US has started down the road of specific laws against phones used in cars. But the practice is already illegal under common distracted driving laws. They just aren't enforced.

With the distracted driving laws you can be pulled over for eating a burger, doing makeup, reading the paper, dancing, etc if it is causing you to drive erratically. But again, no one enforces it. So now there are specific hands free or texting and driving laws... That are also rarely enforced.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts