Breath Mask For Helmet To Help Control Noise

Land Shark

Engorged Member
I had one for my HJC helmet, and it drastically reduces recorded wind noise in the helmet when motovlogging. It's just a membrane that attaches to the inside of the helmet and blocks air noise from around the face shield from being recorded. The top sdge of it goes across the nose and will have pliable metal sewn into it that will conform to the shape of my face
I can't find one yet for my new helmet, so I'm going to make one.
I've made a cardboard template for it, and I'm going to make it out of a nice piece of black, glove leather I picked up at my local leather supply shop years ago.
I'll update with pics after it's done.
==========
Breath Box 1.jpg

Breath Box 2.jpg

Breath Box 3.jpg

I usually just close the visor instead :P
But an interesting thought. I did plan on using an old tube scarf for making a larger wind curtain at the bottom. That would reach all the way to my neck. Being soft it should not scratch or anything. But I am yet to test the theory.

I made some progress on the breath box tonight.
The next step is the final fitment onto the upper chin bar of the helmet.
==========
The flexible wire is just thick solder, and one strand was doubled back onto itself and then encased in black heat shrink tubing.
Breath Box 4.jpg

Breath Box 5.jpg

=====
Then I cut the pattern (oversized) from some glove leather, and used cobbler's cement and rolled the top edge over the flexible metal.
Breath Box 7.jpg

Breath Box 8.jpg

Breath Box 9.jpg

Breath Box 10.jpg

=====
Then I used a lacing chisel to poke holes for stitching it together, and used Ritza Tiger Thread and a stair-step stitch.

Breath Box 11.jpg

Breath Box 12.jpg

Breath Box 13.jpg

Breath Box 14.jpg

*shown approximately how it will bend over the nose and cheeks when mounted in the helmet...

Looks good, but I'm not sure how well it works in a modular helmet. And I don't need a full mask to stop interior fogging, I just need a membrane that goes across the the bottom half of the helmet's view port and hugs my nose & cheeks to stop fogging and keep the wind noise from migrating down to the microphone.
The one I had for my HJC non-modular lid worked perfectly, so I'm copying that design for my modular.
And there isn't much space in my helmet between my lips and the inside front of the chin bar, so I'm not sure how well the Respro would fit, especially in a modular helmet that has to flip open on occasion. The Respro website is seriously lacking in photos of it, except from one angle, and they don't give it's dimensions. I generally don't trust "one size fits all" unless I can look at the item in-person to get an idea of how well it will integrate.
Plus, it's about $30, and I'm making this for about $5 in leatherworking materials and, as you implied, I'm having fun making it. :)

Well, now I know why Scorpion EXO didn't offer a breath box for this helmet (AT960) like they did with the previous version (AT950)...
...there is a clearance issue between the breath box membrane and the helmet when the chinbar is raised up.
There is only maybe 25mm (1-inch) of clearance, and the membrane needs to be about 60mm (2.5-inches) deep for it to hug the face across the nose & cheeks.
I was about to attach the one I'd made to the inside of the chin bar when I realized the problem.
I think the previous version of this helmet had a little bit longer face that allowed a breath mask to clear the helmet when it was opened.
So, there will be no breath mask this time, and I'll have to hope that the Sena uni-directional boom mic (for Sena 10R & 10C) that I've re-wired, to allow it to be plugged into the GoPro Media Mod, will help reduce the wind noise in the recordings.
I'll keep that Respro breath mask in mind for the next non-modular full-face helmet I buy. It looks like a good solution.

Or you can just use the helmet as a full face :P
The link that @L. Bilious recommended says, that you might need to add velcro tape inside the helmet. Well good luck with that. I tried on my current helmet, when doing the mic wiring. It sticks, and then falls off in a minute or two... Some kind of interesting plastic there, that does not take any kind of tape. Even electrical tape won't stay on it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back