Not open for further replies.

MetalHead

Wannabie Member
Oct 4, 2012
Jefferson City, MO
www.metalheadgraphix.webs.com
I ride a
Looking for a DRZ400.
I did a little reading about back armor and that it is often not included in jackets because the risk of a back injury due to a direct hit on the spine wouldn't really be protected by such padding (most back injuries being from impacts to the head and shoulders). Though it does protect the organs etc. when not directly impacted. You could always buy a separate back protector to wear under the jacket but I was looking at a jacket here locally for $50 used that has the shoulder and elbow armor (no back armor) but with Black Friday prices on motorcycle jackets abundant I can get one new for $60 or so that has back padding. I don't know if I want to pick up one locally or order one.

Looking for you thoughts.

Stenno

Wannabie Member
Mar 6, 2012
Surbiton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650/S
My advice would to be to always go with a back protector be it with the jacket or separate. Why wouldn't you? I don't know what the US equivalent is but it should be a CE marked back protector as a minimum. I use the standard ones with my jackets when commuting but wear my separate Forcefield one for track days. Don't forget it's not just about spine injuries but general impact injuries too.

XXX526

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Missouri
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Just about any of the aftermarket back protectors, i.e. Forcefield, Knox, ect. that are a separate, strap-on apparatus will be far superior to any armor in the jacket. The problem with the pads in the jackets are that they move around somewhat, and are not as substantial as the separate strap-on units. Anything is a lot better than nothing though.

SwitchBiker

Wannabie Member
Jun 23, 2012
USA, California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1215
2011 HD Dyna Fat Bob
I think the foam back protectors in jackets were never designed to reduce injuries such as fractures and compression displacements but more for abrasion protection (sliding on the road) and minor fall protection. May also help lessen the pain when people throw rocks at your back, or help soften some of the blows from the bar fight you are in.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
I had the Hein Gericke back protector in my jacket which was fine but after my little ballsup I started to think if it was enough. Had a look on the Knox website and picked up the older contour back protector reduced from £100 to £35. Best money spent, comfortable and sturdy!

SeagullBiker

Wannabie Member
Aug 26, 2012
Brighton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZS600 Fazer
Back from Brum and got myself a forcefield pro shirt and shorts.

Basically a base layer with protection built in (removable to wash the base layer fabric)

Feels so much safer as the pads will always be where they should be.

The harness was way too bulky and took too much time (10mins) and fiddling to get it on

weeemrcb

Wannabie Member
Jan 6, 2013
SE London
weeem.co.uk
I ride a
Fireblade
NastyEvilNinja said:
This reminds me I should really be using my back protector for thsi Winter commuting malarkey... :?

I wear a Knox Aegis over a t-shirt and under a light jumper then bike jacket on top
Stops it moving at all (not that it did much anyway) and keeps me warmer too :)

Skully521

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
West Midlands
I ride a
Honda Bros 650
XXX526 said:
Just about any of the aftermarket back protectors, i.e. Forcefield, Knox, ect. that are a separate, strap-on apparatus will be far superior to any armor in the jacket. The problem with the pads in the jackets are that they move around somewhat, and are not as substantial as the separate strap-on units. Anything is a lot better than nothing though.

dont agree with you there if you get a good jacket it should have a good fit too.
My jacket is a good fit on me and the knox back protector is not going to be moving anywhere.

Rhydian

Wannabie Member
Aug 16, 2012
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit S 600
I have recently bought a forcefield extreme harness, I have a lot of upper body to protect and the harness does a much better job for coverage. With the adventure harness I recommend 100% base layer with long sleeves. The straps require a good amount of tension to ensure a close fit and can pinch/rub if your skin is not covered.

If you're looking for just a back protector you can't go wrong with Tryonics offering. Held and Alpinestars offer zip up jackets with ce level 2 back protection but do not offer protection for arms/shoulders.

As most riders will say, don't protect your bike until you protect yourself.

weeemrcb

Wannabie Member
Jan 6, 2013
SE London
weeem.co.uk
I ride a
Fireblade
Rhydian said:
don't protect your bike until you protect yourself.
+1

That said decent crash bungs only cost about £55 and can save a lot of damage to the bike if unlucky (or wobbly)
But you're right - we come first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts