Are you a Biker or a motorcyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drobium77

Wannabie Member
Aug 6, 2012
I ride a
1993 Suzuki RF600 and a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic.
It's a question that's been bugging me for years.

I have always considered myself to be a biker.
I only have a bike license and have never even driven a car, I mend my own bike, I ride EVERY day and have done for over 17 years.
I ride all year regardless of whether it's raining, snowing or god forbid...sunny.
I used to do dispatch riding on my bike in the 90's/00's, I hang around with mainly biker types, I vlog, ect.

Motorcyclists, I'd class as being more casual.
They are mainly car driver in good jobs who can afford bikes as a weekend plaything, they have new leathers and new bikes and they all disappear in the winter or when the weather gets bad.

The only thing I have against some people is that they try to separate themselves from being a 'biker' as it's seen as being sort of a lower class thing than being a motorcyclist, there's basically a bit of snobbery involved?

Now I know I'm being slightly hypocritical here, but I just thought I'd get your view on this ;)

Here's the vlog I made today of it anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vyNZd_K ... e=youtu.be

mrtommygunwhite

Wannabie Member
Jun 7, 2012
lancashire
I ride a
a (dead atm) yammaha yzf r125 2012 anniversary
well i dont have a car i am down at the moment so idk ifi am right but i would call myself a biker

Chris033081

Wannabie Member
Feb 15, 2013
Western Washington
I ride a
2013 Harley Davidson XL1200C-ANV
I fall into the descriptive motorcyclist category.

My motorcycle is a weekend plaything. I know plenty of bikers who chose a motorcycle over a car for many reasons, but I would not think of them as a lower form of rider.

If anything I would almost think the daily biker would look down on the weekend riders for the fair weather participation.

I personally don't care about the style, type, reasons, or any other separator. As long as the rider is cool, I'm cool.

The only thing that gets me is blatant unsafe actions. Mistakes happen.

Drobium77

Wannabie Member
Aug 6, 2012
I ride a
1993 Suzuki RF600 and a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic.
So there should be 3 classes of biker...

Motorcyclist = weekenders, fair weather, good income

Biker = lower income, chooses bikes over cars, rides all year

Squid = any income, fair weather, no gear, no brain :-D

lGregl

Wannabie Member
Aug 5, 2012
Dorset, England
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda VFR800
I'd always see the motorcyclist as the lower class of rider.. Us Bikers that go out everyday in any weather are the true bikers.. The motorcyclists are only there for the good times, not the bad aswel. I am a Biker through and through, ride my bike everyday to work and back and go out on it at the weekends, dont own a car lisense yet, there will be a day one day where i will need one for family if that day comes, ill still be riding my bike to work even if that day comes and ill be out for rides at the weekend n stuff

BootsieD88

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2012
I ride a
2001 Green Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Drobium77 said:
So there should be 3 classes of biker...

Motorcyclist = weekenders, fair weather, good income

Biker = lower income, chooses bikes over cars, rides all year

Squid = any income, fair weather, no gear, no brain :-D

I don't think income should factor in, even in the slightest. I'm sure there are "good income" people who qualify as a "biker" and i'm sure there are "lower income" people who qualify as a "motorcyclist".

Sponge

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Netherlands
www.spongeinside.nl
I ride a
Peugeot Zenith 50cc scooter
I'm not really getting what income has to do with it..?

In my opinion biker and motorcyclist are the same, just different words.. I think it's sad some people feel the 'need' to look down on others because of insignificant differences. But I guess it's 'human nature' to look down on others to feel better about yourself or compensate for something or whatever……

We all ride on two wheels, so we're basically the same.

My 2ct..

ToastToGo

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda SuperHawk
I don't know. I kind of had my views on this subject turned around because of a blog post I read that AtlasRider posted a while ago. From his post, I would like to consider myself a motorcyclist instead of calling myself a biker. A biker just sounds like a big bag guy in a dangerous motorcycle group (lol). Well anyway...here is the blog post that I am talking about. http://www.atlasrider.com/dont-call-me-a-biker/

ToySoldier

Wannabie Member
Aug 19, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
dt 125 ntv 650
Yamaha dt125
soon suzuki bandit 400 XD
the way i look at it you are what you want to be. I have ridden my bike every day pritty much since i was 16 rain, shine, snow and ice. but if i had a car sitting there that's insured yes i would take it if its raining, i would probable still take the dt out in the snow mind lmao

i like my cars non of this new tosh im into my old done up car's and would love to have a 2.8 capri or a old 3 serise bmw estate but i would never not have a bike =]

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
I ride bikes, I enjoy riding bikes that's all there is to it.

Biker, motorbiker, motorcyclist doesn't bother me and I don't put myself in to any category. That's for the domain of others to place you where they think fit for what ever reason.

So in the immortal words of turtle boy....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Hehe

Nerb

Seriously not serious
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Motard: Husky610
Adventure: KTM1190 Adv R
If you survive the first 5 years, you can call yourself anything you want. Before that your a squid. That should be 5 years of full time riding too... so 17.5 years for weekend riders.

Outlaw3d

Wannabie Member
Feb 21, 2013
Thailand
I ride a
Honda Click 125i
The groups of people that are called either riders, bikers, motorcyclists, enthusiasts etc, that enjoy getting on any 2 wheeled vehicle like a dirt bike , sport bike , supermoto etc. and ride are alright no matter what their label is.

Some are more dedicated than others, some are crazier, some are stupider, some are smarter, some are more sensible, the list goes on and on. But I think the main point is that when someone decides to ride on 2 wheels, its because they want to. Ride On!!

Maggot

Wannabie Member
Feb 26, 2013
I ride a
ped
I don't care how people see me. I ride only when it's nice and warm. I go to work by car. I'm not rich, but I saved money to buy a bike as a 'weekend' toy. I used to ride bikes in winter even to work every morning.. but I cannot be bothered now. It's neither safe nor pleasant.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
I don't know were I fit in here. I use my bike to got to college and going to the hosp etc as I enjoy it more than my car, but I do drive to work because it simply isn't worth putting all the gear on for a 5 min ride to work. I'll also take the car when it's snowing and icey because where I live they don't treat my roads/hill and it's not safe for a bike, first bend and I'd be off. So if this makes me a motorcyclist then I don't care, at the end off the day we are all the same and shouldn't be classed differently. To be honest I'd expect this from cagers!

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
The terms "biker" and "motorcyclist" are pretty interchangeable.

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to split up an already niche group containing many many subgroups into further categories.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
Seems a pointless subdivision to be quite honest.

I ride and own a bike, I drive and own a car. Claiming I'm not a real biker because I drive my car when it's safer to do so is a tad dumb. Putting yourself through displeasure, or even compromising your safety, for minimal/no gain is called masochism, not being a 'real biker'. You could even call it stupid.

But hey, if it massages your ego, go for it.

Romans5.8

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2013
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
I dunno. I put more miles on my bike than on my car. 'bout 20k a year on the bike. I'll ride down into the mid 30's (F, aka around 0C), rain, thunderstorms don't bother me. Heck, I even rode in a tornado once. But I don't really care if people think i'm a 'biker' or otherwise. My bike isn't a badge of honor, it's just something I really, really enjoy. I absolutely love being on the bike, it's the most fulfilling hobby I've ever had. If at all possible, I ride!

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Romans5.8 said:
I dunno. I put more miles on my bike than on my car. 'bout 20k a year on the bike. I'll ride down into the mid 30's (F, aka around 0C), rain, thunderstorms don't bother me. Heck, I even rode in a tornado once. But I don't really care if people think i'm a 'biker' or otherwise. My bike isn't a badge of honor, it's just something I really, really enjoy. I absolutely love being on the bike, it's the most fulfilling hobby I've ever had. If at all possible, I ride!

I like the way you think.

dilwortha

Wannabie Member
Mar 18, 2013
UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV1000s K3
I don't think we need to divide into "bikers" or "motorcyclists"...

In my opinion we all have motorbikes because we love them. I only have a motorbike, but there is times I borrow my mum's car if Im not in the mood to get soaked. 99% of the time I choose the motorbike thought, purely because it is more fun and exhilarating than a car. You are more involved with the elements and I just find it 1000x more of a rush.

Let's blend the two titles together and everyone call themselves a "Motorbiker".

Most people choose a car because it is more common place/easier, but anyone who has a motorbike license does so because of the thrill and enjoyment, so we are all one in the same :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts