Not open for further replies.

Birdman1277

Wannabie Member
Aug 7, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Klr650
Are you an Apple junkie?

In the past I have been all about windows based machines because that was all I had really been exposed to. I had been using Windows and Linux based systems for the past ~10 years and Mac based machines were rare. Recently I have had the chance to use one a little more and I have to say I like it a lot. Granted, for my job and other reasons I tend to run virtual machines while on the Mac.....but overall I like it a lot.

I also recently got an Ipad and that device really is pretty amazing. The finish and quality is great. The camera is WEAK and I don't really like Itunes that much - but overall I really like the device for web surfing and playing games.

The main issue I have with Apple is that they have CRAZY prices. I was pricing out a Macbook Pro the other day and I could buy a comperable Windows based Dell system for almost 800 dollars less. I don't feel like the Apple OS is worth 800 dollars:( I don't really buy the "It just works!" reason for paying such a premium. You can mess up a Mac or a Windows machine if you are doing stupid things with it. Plus, I am in IT so I can typically fix whatever happens to any of my machines.

If i could buy a Mac for a price that I didn't feel like I was getting completely ripped off - I would proabbly take the plunge and at least have a Mac based laptop.

So....Are you a Mac lover? And why or why not?

jarrodmcwatkins

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Minnesota
I ride a
2010 ninja zx6r
Speaking as a non computer guy, my wife and I purchased our Macbook about two years ago based on my brother-in-laws advice. He's a programmer, and I've known a lot of people who works on computers that go both ways on the subject. As an average consumer though, that always had PC, I much prefer this mac. After 2 years we still have had no problems with it, which wasn't true of my previous PC machines. Also I've been told that macs can last long enough compared to PC to help make up some of the price difference. However if you always want the latest and greatest technology maybe longevity isn't for you. But people buy used macs all the time.
My 2 cents.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
Birdman1277 said:
Are you an Apple junkie?

In the past I have been all about windows based machines because that was all I had really been exposed to. I had been using Windows and Linux based systems for the past ~10 years and Mac based machines were rare. Recently I have had the chance to use one a little more and I have to say I like it a lot. Granted, for my job and other reasons I tend to run virtual machines while on the Mac.....but overall I like it a lot.

I also recently got an Ipad and that device really is pretty amazing. The finish and quality is great. The camera is WEAK and I don't really like Itunes that much - but overall I really like the device for web surfing and playing games.

The main issue I have with Apple is that they have CRAZY prices. I was pricing out a Macbook Pro the other day and I could buy a comperable Windows based Dell system for almost 800 dollars less. I don't feel like the Apple OS is worth 800 dollars:( I don't really buy the "It just works!" reason for paying such a premium. You can mess up a Mac or a Windows machine if you are doing stupid things with it. Plus, I am in IT so I can typically fix whatever happens to any of my machines.

If i could buy a Mac for a price that I didn't feel like I was getting completely ripped off - I would proabbly take the plunge and at least have a Mac based laptop.

So....Are you a Mac lover? And why or why not?

if ure in IT and you want a mac,

then get it.

its not something you should be asking to be honest.

this might sound a bitt rough, but if u cant figureout why macs are good, then you dont need one.

simple.

POPE5HAT

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2011
I ride a
Well coming from a complete Mac user for 4 years (iphone 4,iMac,MacBook pro and iPad) , apple really won me over when the iPad came out , but the iMacs are where it's at , the whole " it simply works" thing is true . I mean yeah sometimes Mac does crash etc but all computers do , at the end of it all it doesn't mean your richer or more stupid for buying a Mac , just personal preference , .... But final cut pro x is a beast on the Mac ,

I love windows , I've got bootcamp on my Mac so I best of both worlds .

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
it is personal preference, and Macs do have a longer life than PC's on the whole.

Price and the restrictions that Apple impose is what pisses me off, and being in IT all you need to keep a PC running WELL with no problems is simple knowledge of a couple programs, updating things and that is basically it.

I personally love windows 7, from the previews I have used and seen not sure how I feel about Windows 8.
Finally, I love that I can custom build my entire system for much less than a iMac.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
JollyRoger said:
I love that I can custom build my entire system for much less than a iMac.

This is the selling point of most PC's & Mac's, do you want a Mac that will run flawlessly but only have certian features that you require. Or you could build your PC too a spec you want and run on what you want.

Yeah you might not be a computer wizz but that's what reviews and the Internet is for. I bought a tower I've had 3 OS system's, numerous graphics cards and more HDD's than I can think of, but i'm still looking for bit's and bob's and it's cost alot less than what a 2nd hand Mac would cost.

I would choose Apple over any other hand held gadet, Phone, MP3's simply for the fact they work. My Iphone is a legend works everytime, I've had HTC's Blackberry's, Google Phones, Nokia's and the rest.

Personal preference's and what others think make a huge impact on wether you choose Mac over PC.

Fox-F8

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
california
I ride a
nothing right :(
its getting pretty late in the game. and i think everyone can agree to that. each side is fine now days out of the gate. especially to the everyday consumer. tho i do have to say pc's are still more prone to viruses just because how windows operates off the bin files and permissions. though i well probably always be a pc guy. now i have used macs from time to time. like ariderslife was saying if u cant figure out why a mac is better then you dont need it. only reason i know macs are better is for media editing and processing, not talking youtube editing lol full on movies huge projects with lots of video sources and 20+ of audio tracks. i dont know about the statements for macs having longer life. i have had my pc am on right now for oooo maybe 6 years now. still plays todays games ok, tho i have been playing with after effects and oo does it have hard time rendering out huge scenes pulling alot of video clips and files pictures into one video with the effects it errors and yea but other wise i dont see my pc needing to be replaced for at lest another 2 years well see how games do on this then lol.

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
Well, there's no law saying that you can't have both and like both.

My PC at home is basically supercharged, custom built, for gaming and video editing purposes. It fulfills my geek needs and no mac would be able to do what it does as well as it does it. Not for the same price anyway.

That being said, I plan on owning a MacBook air in the near future, because the thing is brilliant for the university, as well as for presentations and work-related stuff. Plus it looks brilliant, and let's be honest, one looks cool with it.

Provided you have the budget, you can "have it both ways" :) If you don't have the budget, it really depends on what you want to do with it.

Ducman69

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki VStrom
As an IT guy and specifically a computer hardware buff, just want to start off pointing out the obvious that a Mac is a type of PC.

They use industry standard CPUS, GPUs, memory, harddrives, LCDs, etc, and the only proprietary parts are the same that are proprietary in HP, Dell, IBM, Acer, Asus, etc and that is the case. The cases are often far overhyped, particularly the plastic body base Macbook, when competitors even on inexpensive models are often using superior magnesium reinforced chassis, and while often thinner and sleeker than competitors, this is often a form over function sacrifice with poor cooling that requires a lower clocked GPU than standard and reduced number and type of ports or non-removable batteries or other functional sacrifices. The glass displays are similar in the form over function bias, since they produce tremendous glare, and I've found is unusable outside. But even if you want an ultra-thin with a glass screen, there are similar niche units available from Apple competitors.

So the real difference is Windows7 vs MacOS.

Both operating systems are simple to use and pleasing to look at, and you can find an equivalent for most important software on either platform. You have Adobe Premiere CS5 for example rather than FCP for MacOS. Ultimately though W7 still has an edge in software library especially in the game department, and DX11 offers superior performance on equal hardware. I also like that W7 includes TRIM support since I run SSDs in all my computers, and with the integrated media center and tablet functionality and is even lean enough to run on my netbook makes it quite flexible, so I can run the same platform/software on all my devices for simplicity. The deciding factor for me is quite simple, if I were to invest in MacOS as my platform of choice, I would forever be limited to the very small selection of hardware that Apple happens to have on the market at any given time and this is tiny compared to what is available for W7, and even when systems are nearly identical in hardware (same processor/ram/drive/LCD/etc), I'm not willing to spend an extra several hundred dollars for MacOS when W7 works great for me, and would rather pocket the money or put it towards more ram of a faster SSD drive, etc.

If Windows 8 really sucks or post-Steve Jobs Apple decides to have more reasonable profit margins similar to Asus, then sure, I'd definitely reevaluate... but for now IMO I prefer a non-Apple branded computer.

RobLSV

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Bournemouth, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
It depends on what you'll be using the computer for.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" for school which is great. I use it for word processing, browsing the internet and that's about it to be honest. I may use it more if the sound worked (headphones snapped off inside, £900 bill to replace the Logic board - f**k off). The operating system is clean and crisp, but there are a lot of negative points which stump work flow, where functionality has been sacrificed to provide an eye-catching, beautiful interface.

Also you can't help but feel ripped off after you've forked out all this money to basically have everything you had on Windows for more, plus a fairly limited amount of applications and hardware to choose from. I'm still a Windows man at the end of the day and probably will never buy an Apple product again. I've always been lured in by their advertising campaigns but after the experience of owning two Macs I can safely say I haven't been that impressed.

LifeInDecibel

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda VFR
I"ve been a mac user for years until the past few months. I switched to windows because of price. I was able to build my own windows pc for half the price of buying a mac and was able to get hardware with better specs. I love apple, but I don't love their prices. I still use their Iphone and Ipad, and I love them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts