Anyone Use Multicam In Fcp? Help!

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
SO, i thought id try out two cameras and see how it works but I'm having trouble with multicam. I know how to use it and set it up etc. but its taking ages to sync. I made compound clips of both my cameras clips so there are only two clips (probably about an hour long so that could be it) and then selected them both and tried to make a new multicam clip but it just says synchronising and the bar doesn't move at all after a certain point.

Anyone else use this and know how quick this is supposed to be? Most youtube tutorials on it use smaller clips but its almost instant in syncing.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
You can compound two concurrent clips, only two consecutive ones.

You sync up (use a horn or clap your hands). With the clip selected press M at the sync point, do the same for the other clip and use the move tool (P) to move them. If you have SNAP on, you'll get a vertical yellow line when th (M)arks line up.

As for flicking between clips, you need to cut at the points where you will be switching cams and use V to control the visibility of the upper clip to let the lower clip show as the top most content on the timeline has precedence.

Think I've got all that right, let me know if not :)

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
You can compound two concurrent clips, only two consecutive ones.

You sync up (use a horn or clap your hands). With the clip selected press M at the sync point, do the same for the other clip and use the move tool (P) to move them. If you have SNAP on, you'll get a vertical yellow line when th (M)arks line up.

As for flicking between clips, you need to cut at the points where you will be switching cams and use V to control the visibility of the upper clip to let the lower clip show as the top most content on the timeline has precedence.

Think I've got all that right, let me know if not :)

That seems a simpler way. I was trying, and think I've figured it out now, to use the actual multicam tool in FCP. It was having a problem because i was trying to auto sync the audio but with an hour long clip and only one clap at the beginning it was having trouble. So, i used the M to mark the clip points and then synced the two clips using the sync tool and it synced perfectly. Then i created a multicam clip. Seems to work so far.

The first part you said seems way easier but the multicam tool (when i got it working) seems easier for switching as you don't need to cut the clips. Once you create the multi cam clip you just play the file and then when you want to switch you just click the other cam and it switches it all for you.

Thanks for the help. It gets more complicated the deeper you get into this program.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I've not seen the multicam thing, although it may be a version thing.

Which one are you running? Think, although not sure, I'm on 10.1.3

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
I've not seen the multicam thing, although it may be a version thing.

Which one are you running? Think, although not sure, I'm on 10.1.3

Yeh I've got 10.11.5 as i only recently got it.

If you fancy looking at it, its pretty simple to find (if its actually there) but has proven a bit of a bitch to figure out properly as you can probably tell from this post. When you've got your two clips in the browser where your imported media normally sits you just select both, right click and select create new multi cam clip.

If it is there then before you create it you just do the markers as usual like you said, create the multicam clip and select the drop down where it says to sync by the first marker and it will just create one clip out of the two. Then you select show angle viewer in one of the top menus and it will bring up a box next to the preview with all the different camera clips. Then you just play the clip and whenever you want to switch the camera you just click that camera clip and it automatically changes it in the project. It might save you a bit of time if its in there.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Nice! Don't suppose you know what else it does over 10.1 offhand?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I'll look at upgrading!

Probably means theres an upgrade for Motion 5 too!

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Using their multi-cam function is nice, but I do it the caveman way.. Run all clips concurrent and just blade cut the parts I want. I just keep one audio source though.

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Using their multi-cam function is nice, but I do it the caveman way.. Run all clips concurrent and just blade cut the parts I want. I just keep one audio source though.

Once i got past the syncing issues (I think FCP couldn't find the one clap in the hour of footage) it was pretty sweet to use. The chopping methods pretty time consuming for me as i go off topic (a lot) and already need to rearrange and chop a lot out so putting it in multicam first lets me do it all then just go through and change angles for ten minutes at the end.

Im caveman for everything else though lol

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
1995 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
Just a couple of things. I've just started using the multicam editor and I'm pretty impressed with it. If you don't join all your GoPro clips in a compound clip first it puts each clip in a separate angle which is really annoying.

Also, current version of FCPX is 10.2.3, so none of you can be on 10.11.5, that must be your OSX version number.

As its Mac App Store only, I can't see why you'd be on an old version - just let it update and you're golden

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Just a couple of things. I've just started using the multicam editor and I'm pretty impressed with it. If you don't join all your GoPro clips in a compound clip first it puts each clip in a separate angle which is really annoying.

Also, current version of FCPX is 10.2.3, so none of you can be on 10.11.5, that must be your OSX version number.

As its Mac App Store only, I can't see why you'd be on an old version - just let it update and you're golden

You're right i must have clicked the About this mac instead of about final cut pro ha!

Good to know. I usually compound all my clips first but i can imagine getting more annoyed if it had done that.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a

You can get it from outside the App Store. Allegedly.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts