Anyone else integrating drone shots in their videos?

Papa Jefe

Excuse me? It's "Harley Bro," not "Harley Guy."
Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
2019 Harley-Davidson Softail FXBB Street Bob
I'd certainly like to, but I'm a cheap bastard. The only drones I've looked at and thought "yeah, I'd be comfortable spending that kind of money" record in like 240p max. No thanks.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I'd certainly like to, but I'm a cheap bastard. The only drones I've looked at and thought "yeah, I'd be comfortable spending that kind of money" record in like 240p max. No thanks.

That, or they do 720p (which is still not really great) but can only fly for 5 min, and are a pain in the @ss to control xD

Reactions: Papa Jefe

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Yeah i'm trying to use mine more like a "cameraman" though rather than the aerial shots and all that.

I picked up my Spark second hand for AUD$200 so they're getting affordable.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
@HippoDrone selling your drone is a strange decision for someone with Drone their channel name :D

It certainly was good for showing those airfields (especially Greenham Common) as impossible to get an appreciation of them on the ground.

As for drone laws well 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men and obedience of fools"*

*not legal advice.

I have a Mavic Pro but it's having some issues at the moment where batteries go flat after 5 minutes... have to get it looked at as I reckon that it would be handy for some videos I have in mind.

Reactions: Papa Jefe

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I have a drone but dont often take it. For me, I think it can really enhance certain videos if done right. When I travel it's a great to use, but for motorbike videos if depends on the videos. Is a drone shot really a hero shot? Or did you just take a clip with the drone for the sake of it? I often take lots of clips out that I thought when filming were great, but on review they didn't add anything to the video.

The other issue with the drone is 1, you need a bag and 2, the time it takes to set up and get up in the air. If solo it's fine but with people it can mean a lot of waiting around whilst you set up then asking people to ride back and forth whilst you get that perfect shot. Might be fine once or twice but if you ride with these people often your going to become very unpopular!

Often I take my drone I don't end up even using it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
@HippoDrone selling your drone is a strange decision for someone with Drone their channel name :D

It certainly was good for showing those airfields (especially Greenham Common) as impossible to get an appreciation of them on the ground.

As for drone laws well 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men and obedience of fools"*

*not legal advice.

I have a Mavic Pro but it's having some issues at the moment where batteries go flat after 5 minutes... have to get it looked at as I reckon that it would be handy for some videos I have in mind.

I'd agree, had this channel ever been intended as a drone channel, the drone part comes from me droning on in the drivel I talk on my vlogs! and the drone of the engine... and a play on hippodrome:
The hippodrome (Greek: ἱππόδρομος) was an ancient Greek stadium for horse racing and chariot racing. The name is derived from the Greek words hippos (ἵππος; "horse") and dromos (δρόμος; "course"). The term is used in the modern French language and some others, with the meaning of "horse racecourse". Hence, some present-day horse-racing tracks also include the word "hippodrome"[1] in their names, such as the Hippodrome de Vincennes and the Central Moscow Hippodrome.

I may be no angel, but I do like to act responsibly and as legally as I can these days, especially on camera, and with where I live being very near an international airport and the owner of this site being a fully legal drone pilot and this site wanting to promote legal behaviour etc blah blah... It was never an option for me to consider using it in any way other than by the rules. I'd also get the sack I imagine if I got caught using one illegally due to where I work.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I'd agree, had this channel ever been intended as a drone channel, the drone part comes from me droning on in the drivel I talk on my vlogs! and the drone of the engine... and a play on hippodrome:

I may be no angel, but I do like to act responsibly and as legally as I can these days, especially on camera, and with where I live being very near an international airport and the owner of this site being a fully legal drone pilot and this site wanting to promote legal behaviour etc blah blah... It was never an option for me to consider using it in any way other than by the rules. I'd also get the sack I imagine if I got caught using one illegally due to where I work.

Ah yes living near an airport or airfield can sure be a real PITA with flight rules for sure.
Unless, you know, they're abandoned :)

I bet you get heaps of people on YT searching for drones come across your channel. Not necessarily a bad thing... :D

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Ah yes living near an airport or airfield can sure be a real PITA with flight rules for sure.
Unless, you know, they're abandoned :)

I bet you get heaps of people on YT searching for drones come across your channel. Not necessarily a bad thing... :D
Not too many TBH, as I don't post drone vids, and all my vids are mostly automotive, I guess YT hides me from them mostly :)

I did try flying my drone when I had it in another of my abandoned airfield vids, all was fine until the map updated just after I had taken off and told me I wasn't allowed to there. I downed the drone ASAP, but kind of annoying that it allowed me to fly before it was fully ready, was one of the reasons I got the Mavic Pro as it was supposed to stop me getting it in the air where I shouldn't! :)

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Not too many TBH, as I don't post drone vids, and all my vids are mostly automotive, I guess YT hides me from them mostly :)

I did try flying my drone when I had it in another of my abandoned airfield vids, all was fine until the map updated just after I had taken off and told me I wasn't allowed to there. I downed the drone ASAP, but kind of annoying that it allowed me to fly before it was fully ready, was one of the reasons I got the Mavic Pro as it was supposed to stop me getting it in the air where I shouldn't! :)

That's really surprising it allowed take off. I have the slDJI spark and it can't take off in restricted areas (such as my home, I live very close to London City Airport.) I have a great roof terrace.

My drone doesn't have connection when it's connected to the drone so wouldn't be able do a download mid flight.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That's really surprising it allowed take off. I have the slDJI spark and it can't take off in restricted areas (such as my home, I live very close to London City Airport.) I have a great roof terrace.

My drone doesn't have connection when it's connected to the drone so wouldn't be able do a download mid flight.
Maybe only part of the area I was in was in a restricted area, but the drone allowed me to get it airborne, then started beeping at me telling me to land it.

Reactions: City Bob

jrewillis

Wannabie Member
Jul 1, 2020
Dudley, UK
I ride a
HONDA PCX 125 (2019) (RED)
I gave up with my drone, flew it 27 times for a total of just 3 hours flight time. With their use getting more and more regulated it is getting harder to use them. I had the Mavic Pro, which is over the weight limit so would also need to be registered as well. I sold it and used to money to get another 360 camera instead.

The registration is easy though. It's common sense. No practical flying and costs £9. Hardly worth the paper it's written on.

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
I've just bought a DJI Mavic Air... mainly because I'm planning a lot of travel and local area history stuff so it will be good to get aerial shots.

I've done the registration and stuff with the CAA. I'm lucky where I am, but do have to be careful with the amount of military bases around here.

I'd also be in serious trouble with the law and at work if I got caught where I shouldn't be due to the industry I work in....

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The registration is easy though. It's common sense. No practical flying and costs £9. Hardly worth the paper it's written on.
I thought the rules had changed and any commercial flying would require a proper licence?

Reactions: RideOnTwo

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I thought the rules had changed and any commercial flying would require a proper licence?
Here in the US that is true and it is about to get even more strict with the drone having to have transponders. If you do not make ANY money from your channel you are free to use it. The mini does not require registration here yet either.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Been flying my Mavic Mini regularly and use it for quick intro cuts mostly to introduce a given ride.

I spend most of my time out in the mountains away from people so works well as long as I'm 5+ miles from nearby municipal airports. Sometimes I try to fly it in parks and it is always polarizing to nearby people (even though I'm not flying over them or even capturing them). I flew it yesterday near a waterfall with a ton of tourists and it was well-received or ignored by spectators, so you never know.

I'm pretty loose with the rules; typically a quick flight and out of sight beyond initial launch/landing. I'm willing to take the $50 fee or such if it comes to that, though. I did get stopped at a college campus (that was empty, mind you) by a bicycle security guard. He was interested in the drone, though, so it wasn't hostile at all.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
So using the drone for purpose of filming for Youtube would require you to have a proper licence rather than the general use £9 one?

I expect that depends if your channel is commercial/monetised or not.

I think that rule is more aimed at pro users who use drones for paid work.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye, my channel is monetised, but does not make any profit, or even remotely enough for me to miss it really if I was to turn it off, but I have a feeling YouTube will promote a video better that they can make money from so I keep it turned on. The cost of insurance for a commercial drone is way more than my channel will ever likely make in a year and even if I were to use it in every vid, 50-100 flights a year is just not worth the cost of the drone and def not worth the hassle of getting all the ticks in the boxes to do it legally. I'd love the new Skydio 2, but I don't think that is legal at all in the UK as it is fully autonomous with it's tracking and flight.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Been flying my Mavic Mini regularly and use it for quick intro cuts mostly to introduce a given ride.

Yeah I like how you use your drone Humes.

I do plan to buy a decent camera drone in a year or two. Even if I don't use it for motovlogging, as a photo enthusiast I just want one! But I'll likely mess around with it for motovlogs too of course. :cool:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts