Any ideas for winter uploads?

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
For those of us that have seasonal riding, things tend to come to a grinding halt when winter arrives. We put the bikes away and watch from our front window the snow piling up outside with sad little faces and re-living our glory days by watching old videos from trips in the past.
It becomes quite a challenge to keep coming up with any content and uploading when you can't ride. I've tried a couple ideas, like going through all the bikes I've owned, or doing a review on my bike or some product I purchased for the bike thus far. I've even resorted to doing silly and borderling "off topic" posts just to keep the channel alive.
Going to a motorcyle show in the winter was another idea, but covid has pretty much messed up that idea.
Another thing I've tried is to "stockpile" my videos and space out the frequency of posts to cover more time, but I'm out of content now.
If you cannot ride and want to keep some content flowing, what are some of the ideas you have come up with? Help a vlogger out, I need something to do!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I used to stockpile content, at the time I found it easy to do as all my historical vlogs were not time sensitive to post, so I could do those over winter. We are able to ride all year here mostly too, so that helps us Brits.
As you do big trips, I'd save posting those for over winter when everyone is longing for big adventures, and then in the summer, just make topical short vlogs.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Stockpiling footage is good. Back decades ago, it was tradition that some riders would customize or do other maintenance on their bikes over the winter. Those might make for good topics. Another idea would be maybe interviewing other motovloggers or even regular plain riders you are curious about or enjoy riding with.

Reactions: Baldbiker and YBGuy

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I stockpile footage as well, but my channel covers a few things not motorcycle related, so I can concentrate on that when the weather turns truly foul.

Bike maintenance/install videos should be easy to do if you have an indoor space to record them in.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread!

-John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
If you have a backlog of footage, you could start going through that. I still have footage from June 2021 I am still working though but I also can still ride now so it seems like the footage never ends which is a plus since it only snows here about once every two years. But, if I lived in a snowy climate and my backlogs were dry, I might go hit up some of the local holiday decoration displays / exhibits and get them on video and uploaded.

I'm sure different parts of the world have some pretty interesting holiday displays to see. Holiday lights are always fun to see in my mind. :)

Apr 6, 2018
Most of my videos are either motorcycle how-tos, or talking head videos, so I just pre-heat my garage as best as possible, and I spent $60 on a heated vest. Practice my script a few times indoors while the garage is being heated, then run out, try to shoot real quick, and run back in.

In a lot of my winter videos you can see my breath while I'm speaking lol. Canada, eh?

Apr 6, 2018
I'm so glad our UK winters are not as cold as yours mate!
-tel%C3%A9fono-vete-a-la-mierda-firmar-chica-emoci.jpg

This, but with my face on her body lol

For Christmas I got some thermal "heattech" gear. It's helped a lot. No one can see but under the camera I am full on wearing snow pants, super thick sweat pants, leggings, and boxers. I basically double or half in size between my summer and winter videos lol

In the summer I look like the girl above. In the winter I look like the michelin man lol

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I'd love to see a snowmobile video, lol.
I don't have a snowmobile, but I have a cool little tractor with snowblower on the front. I actually did upload a video of me havin a whoopin good time blowing snow around my lot.

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye, you want to try not to post topical things up that were recorded in summer, as no one will care about that topic come winter, but you can do visits, or how to vlogs etc as they are timeless

Reactions: Drakhen99 and Guest

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I was actually trying to do this for the 2021 season. I staggered the episodes with 3 or 4 days between, but still ran out of content before the end of the summer. Work gets in the way too so can't be going on motorcycle trips every week, and just driving around the neighborhood and yakking, gets pretty boring.
I'm not a mechanic so I can't be ripping apart and rebuilding my bike for content either. I show them how to clean it and take care of it, and if something breaks down I take it to the dealer. Not great for content.
My best content is my trips I take, but yeah, that's limited!

Apr 6, 2018
I have had other moto vloggers suggest to me, not to bank to many video. They said to stay current. But that is a little hard in the winter up here in Upstate New York.
Who are the other moto vloggers? Are they actually people that you want to be taking advice from?
My rule of thumb: Generally speaking, never take advice from someone you wouldn't want to trade places with.

Aye, you want to try not to post topical things up that were recorded in summer, as no one will care about that topic come winter, but you can do visits, or how to vlogs etc as they are timeless
100%. Only exception would be if your most popular video has some piece of news come out, you can do end screens and cards to the news, even if the news piece is several months old. If people are still watching that original video you can still direct them to the new one.
My best content is my trips I take, but yeah, that's limited!
Hey, I think you had sent me a link to one of your videos you wanted me to check out but I can't find it anywhere? Shoot it my way again if you want and I'll take a look :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts